Pioneer Plasma serial commands

timmorris

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to install a new scaler and remote control system (Pronto Professional 9600 with RFX9600 serial extender). As in interim measure I want to retain the existing plasma which is an old Pioneer plasma (502 or 503, I'm not exactly sure which at the moment). According to the document here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/31820858PDP502_RS232CPM.pdf the command structure is \02<ID><CMD>\03.

I only have a single plasma connected and it has been controlled by serial in the past. How do I determine the ID it is set to? If that isn't possible is it easy to reassign the ID? The document isn't as explicit as say the Panasonic documents are when it comes to explaining the protocol.

Tim

The default ID is usually 00 or 01
Only if the plasma had been linked to multiple plasmas then the ID would be different.

Thanks, I'll try it later today. I've got an RGBHV cable problem as I can't get a signal even at 480P...

When I resolve that at least I should be able to turn the thing on and off.

Tim

The model is a 502 so rather long in the tooth now. If I go into the integrator menu the panel ID is supposed to be displayed at the top right hand corner. Mine displays -- which according to the 503 tech manual means that no ID is assigned. There's nothing in the options menu (as there is in the 503's) that allows setting of the ID so I assume you have to use a serial port command to set the ID. Any idea what the command is and what the format is?

I seem to remember reading that entering ** for the ID addresses all displays. Does that ring any bells. It was being switched using RS232 using a Crestron so there must be a way of getting it going.

Tim

I think the string to set an ID is \x02**01IDS\x03 this will set the plasma ID to1
\x02**ADJ\x03 is the code ( I think ) to get into RS232 setup mode.

Is it possible to send \02**PON\03, or does it need an ID before it will respond to any command?

Tim

Try it might work. ** means it hasn't been assigned a ID. I would try 00 or 01first if no luck then send clear ID string then assign a new ID.

I finally got around to re-testing this setup this evening. It does respond to commands sent with ** as the ID. I thought that might be the case as up until 10 days ago it was controlled by a Crestron system and it didn't have an ID set.

The two commands I use are \x02**PON\x03 and \x02**POF\x03.

Tim

I have a couple PDP-433CMX plasma's I'm trying to control. Using Pioneer's PlasmaTrol app works fine, but I want to issue commands from a Terminal Session.

Using PlasmaTrol, I could leave the ID ** or make it 02 and it would work just fine.

So, from the terminal session i've tried all kinds of combinations, including those in other replies above. Also, I connected a sniffer to my comm port, and it appears that PlasmaTrol is only sending (eg) **POF when I issue the POF command. I've tried that (**POF), as well as others like /x02**POF/x03, /x**POF.... argh.

So, what should the terminal session command line be? Also, what other parameters should I use -- I'm set at 9600, 8, N, 1 .. I don't know what flow control to use, but I tried NONE, XON/XOFF, Hardware without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

With the app I'm using to send the commands it is a "\x" you need to use to send a hex command not "/x". That could be your problem. Most AV kit is set to 9600,N,8,1 with no flow control. At least it is with the three pieces of kit I'm controlling. I think that \x02 and 03 are non printing characters so sniffer might not necessarily pick them up.

Tim

Should there be spaces, or does it all get run together? Also, do you get feedback into your app, or just a blank screen?

I have several LG LCD's that I've been able to do this with, but they give me "ok" when I send a command so I know the unit is receiving the command (aside from the fact that the commands actually work!).

I don't have my notes at home, but I'm sure I tried the slash both directions ..
/x0202POF/x03
\x0202POF\x03
\x02**POF\x03
etc

Are you using a terminal program to send the commands, or something geared more toward this kind of function .. I'm wondering if it adds something that I'm missing.

It just occurred to me, that i was looking at CHAR display on the trace. If I switched it to HEX, I should see any non-displayable characters.

BTW, I called Pioneer's business support division. The tech's exact words were .. "I'm not very good with computers." Um, thanks.

I'm going in to work tomorrow to work on this more; I've bookmarked a few sites that had other things to try .. I'm determined to get this to work!

Thanks.

I'm using a Pronto Professional serial extender so I think \x is a Pronto shortcode. Without writing a script I can't check to see if there are any return codes. IIRC to send a "special character" using Hyperterminal you hold down left alt and type in a 3 digit decimal code on the numeric keypad.

It doesn't appear to need a carriage retun.

Tim

Yeah, still no luck. What do you think the exact string should be to turn off the unit using Hyperterm? .. the unit ID is 02. I have to move on to the LG units now, but I'll be back to this one tomorrow.

Oy.

Well, I just got off the phone with Pioneer "support" again. The tech told me, I'm SOL. Pioneer doesn't give out this information and I have to go to a 3rd party to have them write a custom application. I said, I just need the control sequence for Hyperterm. His answer was, "HT doesn't work real well." So, I asked what that meant; is there another terminal emulator I should be using? Just give me the control sequence and I'll try it. He said Pioneer doesn't give out that information, it's on the website. I said, you realize you just contradicted yourself. He said the control sequence is on the website.

So, I told him the sequences don't make sense .. do I type STX0202POFETX to turn it off, or some kind of hex control sequence? He said, no, you just type that .. so I repeated, it doesnt seem to work and he repeated, they don't support it. Then, he tells me the port is only for maintenance, not control. So, I point out they provide PlasmaTrol to do this.

Yeah, I don't think I'll buy any more Pioneers. I will be rolling out 20 more displays, and Pioneer just lost my business.

One thing that gets me inspired, is when someone tells me I can't do something; so, thanks Pioneer .. I figured it out despite your lack of help ...

from the "dos" prompt, I can send ^B**PON^C > com1: to turn it on and obviously replace PON with other commands for other functions. I could also use the ascii input from the keyboard by doing left-alt 02 (for ^B) and left-alt 03 (for ^C). Yes, I had tried this a bunch of times, but until I tried it from the command line, I didn't realize it wasn't grabbing the correct characters -- why, you ask? because I'm on a laptop, so I needed to actually do Fn-LeftAlt and 02 from the "numeric keypad" not the numbers on top!.. And you'd think I'd have known this from all ascii programming I did back in the late 80's!

Anyway, it all works now .. even within RealTerm .. so I have remote access to any of my LCD's/Plasma's via a telnet session now!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom