Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer Plasma Reliability Problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Woodbridge Pete, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Woodbridge Pete

Woodbridge Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a two year old (and a few months) Pionee Plasma, 433HDE and it has gone faulty, with a bang and a flash.

Towards the end of last year the media receiver stopped auto-switching of the SCART inputs and was replaced FOC, now this has just happened.

The TV only gets used 3-4 hrs per day, so nothing excessive, neve left in standby, and connected via a power protection surge board to the mains.

Has anyone else had reliability problems with Pioneer. All their previous Hi-Fi kit I've had has been perfect.

The reapirers say it is a power supply, but it is out of warranty. I would still not expect it to fail in two years of light use.

2. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello pete, i have a pioneer PDP 502MXE plasma which went bang 3 months ago. rang up pioneer and spoke to them about it, and they recommended a dealer in my area to repair it. £500 later and a new PSB (power supply board) and its sorted. have since seen two other pioneer screens with the same problem. a shame because i always thought pioneer made reliable equipment.

3. Woodbridge Pete

Woodbridge Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Pioneer do(did) have a reputation for high quality and reliability. My experience over the past 30 yrs would not have proven me wrong until now.

I feel Pioneer have sold out with their name on Plasma screens, possibly sacrificing reliability for quick sales.

I ting, based on what you have said, thatthe PSU failures would appear to be a common fault, and that they should replace them FOC, as they currently do for faulty media receivers; Why should the consumers be the quality control testers, and also have to pay the costs as well. Either they have underspecified the components or are over driving them, whatever it is a common failure point that should be rectified for all.

4. Nachos

Nachos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys need to persue this further.

Basically the Sale of Goods act 1974 stipulates that all goods must be fit for purpose and that the onus for sub standard goods lies with the retailer not the manufacturer.

Trust me, i am a buyer and spend millions of pounds a year on all sorts of goods for the company i work for.

Apart from work, i cited the above act in writing to currys and got a full refund for a samsung plasma screen nearly 20 months after i had purchased it. Basically i told them that a £3000.00 TV should provide me with several years satisfactorary use on not develop major faults within the first two years of its life. Therefore i considered the TV to be unfit for purpose.

Kick up a big fuss with the retailer and they will normally give in if they think you know what you are talking about.

5. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I always thought it was better to leave your TV in standby mode as this puts less strain on the power supply. I was told this years ago by the guy who replaced the power supply on my broken TV(CRT). Can anyone with a bit of knowledge shed some light on this matter. Is it better to leave in standby or switch off completely every night?

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It depends is the answer. Turn on does put strain on parts, but, some parts wear out. Electrolytic capacitors are an example of the latter. They need to have voltage on them fairly regularly (once every few years that is), but they also dry out over time the hot they are the shorter they last and running them makes them hotter. PSU electrolytic are a common failure point, especially as the longer life types cost more :rolleyes: