1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasma Quandary

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gtiller, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gtiller

gtiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have finally saved up enough to make the jump into Plasma!

I have been looking at upgrading from my 32” Sony CRT for some time, and had pretty much decided on the Pioneer 43 inch (PDP-434HDE)

However, this has now been superseded by the new model PDP-435XDE.

Whilst I have seen both in various shops, and both have an astonishing quality picture I haven’t seen any retailers that have the two side by side.

I have read mixed opinions on the 435, whereas nothing but rave reviews on the 434.

As I cannot see them both side by side, I wondered if you were able to sway me either way?

Sound is not an issue (this will be routed through my Bose Lifestyle 28 System)
    Whilst this is a political choice in terms of trueness of audio reproduction, it suits me for its sheer unobtrusiveness.

We will be watching mainly Sky and DVDs (with a diminishing number of Videos, as we replace our favourites for DVDs)

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant

2. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

The screen in all 3 models of the pioneer 435 range with tuners( FDE, HDE, XDE ) as far as I am aware is the same, the difference is in the tuner box, the XDE comes with an analog tuner and digital tuner and a PC input which you dont get on the other 2 models.

regards

joe Rubido

3. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned both the 434 and 505 and I prefer the 434. The picture is more pleasing to the eye paticulary with SD broadcast. If you can get one at the right price the 434 - 504 are the pick of the bunch

4. gtiller

gtiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is great information - thankyou!

Are there any good, reliable bnut above all cheap site where i can get the older PDP-434HDE model from?

Thanks again,

Grant.

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I own a 435XDE, and demoed a 434HDE while it was still the current model, although the 435 doesn't appear to be a huge/any improvement over the outgoing model in performance terms, I picked it as it had a few extra features and I tend not to go with the outgoing models as a matter of course.

You are not going to get a huge variety in end user reviews, there does however appear to be a few technical issues apparent with the sets which include buzzing and remote control funnies [none of which affect or concern my actual set luckily] and also bear in mind no-one is going to dis something they have spent such a large amount of money on even if they are not 100% happy with it, and I'm sure if I owned a 434 I would not consider upgrading as it would not give me a significant jump in overall enjoyment.

Short answer is if you can get a 434 for say £2000-2300 you will be laughing all the way to the bank

Just bear in mind the FDE/XDE models are specifically designed for simple setup and day to day use, if you want the best picture and flexibilty go for an MXE.

My only negative issue with my purchase is massive loss of detail in dark scenes on poor source material [Freeview and DVD], compared to my 46" RPTV. However the plus points generally outweigh these issues except when I am in a very bad mood :)