1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasma Pdp502mxe

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splatt, May 4, 2002.

1. Splatt

Splatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have arcam dv27 with pal progressive output , but i believe my pioneer pdp502mxe is incompatible. Does anyone know if i can make it possible or if not what 50" plasmas are compatible

2. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splatt

I've the 503hde coming anyday any day now. I believe they're the same kit - albeit mine comes with tuner etc...

I asked the same question when ordering and was informed that only NTSC is supported on these devices.

I do belive mine is capable of playing some tricks i.e. converting PAL output to NTSC then enhanced - but have read somewhere on this forum that the results aren't that clever..just have to wait for delivery before confirming how true i suppose.

Am hoping that PAL is superb and ps NTSC is a notch or two higher. At the demo they used they Tosh sd900..simply stunning!

Don't know of ANY plasmas that support PAL ps ...mostly for the pj boys and the top notch Loewe at the moment I suspect. ;)

By the way what do R1 ps picture look like out of the Arcam?

regards

huss

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The Panasonics are happy with Pal progressive by component and so was the NECMP2 42" one I tried on Saturday (had to be by RGsB though)

Gordon

4. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual suggests a video input of either component or RGB with a 50Hz vertical frequency and 31.25KHz horizontal frequency is supported on inputs 3 and 4.

This looks like PAL progressive but how it will react to the output from your DVD player I can't say.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Interesting one this. I've had the 503hde for 6 months now and partner it with the Tosh 900e. Results are extremely good.
    My local Jefferies have offered to lend me the DV27 (their very good to me) to see if my screen (via tuner box) will accept the PAL PS signal.
    I think I asked you Gordon before xmas sometime about this and as it was all new things were a little vague.spellcheck. Im not trawling through threads to find it anyway.

I would love to know. I hope it does, that would be real good.
    J's have just installed a Panny 42 so I showed them how to switch on the PAL PS (real surpprised they didn't know), they got very excited. Another interesting point to mention. When hacking the DV27 for PAL PS, a menu appears with 3 offerings.
    1. switch on PAL PS
    2. can't remember
    3. sync on green.
    I think selecting option 3 may enable component to be used without the sync as with RGsB. Im sure someone would find a use for this. A Guess.
    If the 503 does accept a PAL PS signal I'll be trading in my 900 for a 27 then next year flog it again to get a Blu-ray dvd player. ha.

6. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my 503 is due soon I will be looking to upgrade to NTSC ps player - Tosh 900 and Denon 2800 two of the shortlisted.

When are you testing the 27? Can you let me know if PAL ps works with the 503 (despite technical assurances that it will not).

I'd hate to purschase either of my shortlisted players only to find out that it does.

Thanks in advance

Huss

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    If it helps at all, the Pioneer 503 MXE handles progressive PAL extremely well, but the 503 HDE does not in my experience.

Spend a while trying to get a PAL progressive feed through the HDE media box and failed I'm afraid. NTSC progressive works just fine though.

Mark

8. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Snowman,
    How do you switch on pal pro on the Panny?I'd be very interested to know.
    Regards

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Splat

PDP-502MXE - PAL Progressive was never a planned compatibility on this display. If you are lucky and the player and panel start to talk then you have a 50/50 chance that all will work fine - on the other hand lots of customers have had little luck with the 502 and PAL P signals.

PDP-503HDE with Media Box and Toshiba 900 - if I understand this DVD properly it is converting PAL P internally and outputting it as NTSC P which is why this combination seems to work for PAL P when in fact its NTSC - maybe someone can confirm.

PDP-503MXE - still not 'designed' to handle PAL P but as Mark says does so with ease.

Best regards

Joe

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think the switching of Prog Scan or Interlaced is only selected on your dvd player and that plasma screens just auto-detect a certain signal type then output it (this is as I understand it).
    If the screen can't display PS, beit PAL or NTSC I guess it will do one of two things. Display nothing or display something badly.

When I was in Jefferies I don't recall them changing any options on the Panasonic plasma screen, only the player but to get a definitive answer I would ask Gordon, Convergent-AV.