1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasma PDP-505-XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MusicForLife, Apr 26, 2005.

1. MusicForLife

MusicForLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    Hi All,
    This is my first thread so apologies if this thread has been posted before.

I have been quoted £4,199.95 for the Pioneer Plasma 50" model : PDP-505-XDE
    I am totally new to this type of equipment, moving up from Loewe Aconda 32" and am wondering whether this type of install is best left to the Professionals but on the otherhand I can find this Plasma for £3,729 on the Net !
    What would you guys do ?

1. Is this as good a plasma as people say ?
    2. Is there a better alternative and at what cost ?
    3. What audio system would you recommend for a budget of £4,000 on top of the TV ?

My local shop recommend the Tag Mclaren speakers they are offering for a massive reduction - is this worth going for to complement the Plasma ? or is there a better value speaker system worth buying .
    I would prefer speakers on the wall as I have children ! (best kept out of the way (the speakers I mean !)

Thanks for any advice on this subject .

Pete

2. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Music,

Welcome to the AV Forums.

The price that you have been quoted sounds pretty competetive. Does it include the speakers ans the table top stand? What kind of a warranty are you getting with the plasma? Where are you getting it from?

The reason I ask is that if you have got this quote from a proper shop(not web based) then you might consider asking John Lewis to price match as they offer a free 5 year warranty on all televisions that they sell.

Also, the cheaper price that you have seen online will most definitely not include the table top stand and speakers.

If you plan on wall mounting the plasma, then I would advise a professional install, mainly cos I'm bad at DIY so wouldn't trust myself.

As far as the screen itself goes, I've had it since mid Feb and I'm very pleased with it thus far and am now actively contemplating getting ISF calibration done to maximise the picture quality. I'm sure that there are divided opinions on the screen with others saying that the Panasonic is better or some other brand etc etc.

Sorry, but have nothing to offer regarding the TAG speakers as I have no idea what they sound like etc.

Niraj

3. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Having spent months here debating and revising and redebating Pios and Pannies ...I ended up with the new Fujitsu 40 series 50 incher (50XHA40US) which is "magical" and beats the Pio dead on both Sky and DVD...it is also better than the Pannies too..but its around 4.5 - 5k..worth every penny. And you will not get it cheap on the net as its only avaialable via custom installers and high end shops.

Those of us lucky enuff to have one are in a/v heaven.

There are several threads dedicated to the panel. so search for Fujitsu 40 series if you are auditioning it must be on your list. Then ISF please.

go on you know you wanna!

Regards

Dil :smashin:

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We have this panel setup in a meeting room in work. From what I have seen of it, it looks great.