Pioneer Plasma PDP-436XDE Goes Pop.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by purrfect_p, Sep 15, 2007.

1. purrfect_p

purrfect_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hope you dont mind me intruding but I really need some advice. I have read through some of the posts and dont seem to see any answers regarding my problem...so please bare with me as this is my first post and I hope I can explain this right!

I have a Pioneer plasma PDP436XDE which is 18 months old. Last week I was sitting watching the tele when all of a sudden there was a loud pop and the screen went blank....I didn't take out the extended warranty as I never thought for a minute that a £2500 would pack in for at least another 5 years:rolleyes:

I noticed that the stand by light was flashing 3 times and then pausing then repeating the pattern so I phoned Pioneer and asked for advice. They were NO HELP to me at all....

I managed to get a local TV company to have a look at the plasma on the condition that it would have to go to there workshop to be checked which I have to pay £85 for the call out charge...but I need my tv.

They contacted me yesterday to say that this was the Y drive assembly that had blown and it will cost £450 to get the part fixed.

My question (s) are :

Has this ever happened to anyone and are they giving me the right diagnosis?

Should Pioneer have any responsibility as the plasma is not that old?

I have read that Pioneer give a lifetime warranty on power supply problems, is this true? And would the problem I am having be guaranteed by Pioneer?

I am Sorry for such a long post :eek: Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks for reading and any answers I receive:)

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You should expect longer than this out of the set. Write to them explaining the situation as others have done - if you have to, quote the usual legislation which you'll find if you search here and on the plasma forum. I had them to pay for new power supply after 2 years (although I did have to pay the labour, but I think others have had that paid as well).

I don't know what exactly the "y" assembly is, but if it's the power supply then the cost is about right, I was quoted £420 including labour and parts to replace mine.

There's a thread below about red flashing lights - have a look at that as it may point you in the right direction.

Good luck and don't take no for an answer.

3. purrfect_p

purrfect_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reckless, Thank you very much for your reply. I will try a search on legislation and hopefully I will get an answer from this.... I just want my plasma back! Beginning to wish now I had just bought a cheaper model and then I maybe not feel so let down that after 18 months its costing a lot of money to get fixed:mad: Thanks again:smashin:

4. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Purrfect P
    I would try writing to/faxing both the original retailer and Pioneer Head Office stating the goods were not fit for purpose and you require the screen repaired/replaced under the Sale of Goods Act regulations (consumer electronics goods should last 4/5 years).

Also try pursuing your credit card company under the Consumer Credit Act as they are joint and severally liable with the retailer for the product.

None of these may play ball quickly, but you do have legal rights. You should also try Trading Standards, who may be able to intervene on your behalf.

In the end you may have to pay the costs of repair - if so keep a receipt and take the retailer to the Small Claims Court.

Good luck!

5. kd2369

kd2369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I also have a 436XDE which is not working. The symptoms seem to be exactly the same. I turn the unit on, it looks like it's going to turn on and then it just goes pop and the red light flashes continually. Again, I am extremely disappointed. The unit is under 18 months old and I paid in excess of £2,000 for it, simply because it had good reviews. I only had a years warranty from the original supplier (an internet based electronics company). I would appreciate any comments on how best to proceed - either getting it repaired or scrapping it.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As above - sale of goods act if Pio don't do anything about this.

I know that these plasmas are supposed to be among the best available but I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with their reliability, particularly in respect of power supply failures.

Be interesting to see how the 8g models everyone are raving about stand up in 18-24 months. Wonder if they'll be having the same issues.

7. kd2369

kd2369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply i will keep u updated

8. purrfect_p

purrfect_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ap69...

Many thanks for your reply. I will keep you updated as to any joy I have so that hopefully it can help others in the same situation. Thanks again:smashin:

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    As I understand it your consumer rights (seperate to warranty) are as follows:

During the first 6 months of ownership, if something goes wrong it is down to the manufacturer to fix (or replace the item at their discretion), or to prove that the consumer caused the fault.

After 6 months if an item becomes faulty, it is up to the consumer to prove that the item was manufactured with an inherent defect. If the consumer can prove this to a reasonable degree, the manufacturer must repair (or replace at their discretion) the item. The emphasis would be on you to prove there is a known fault etc which could be difficult unless there is evidence of a reasonable number of people experiencing this same fault or a 3rd party checks it out at your expense and confirms it is the case.

You could argue that your product is high-end and that the price you paid for it is of a premium price for a premium product and that you should expect it to last a bit longer as a premium product.

Remember that the manufacturers warranty is in addition to your consumer rights in your country and not instead.

The benefit in this case is that during the period of the manufacturer warranty after the first 6 months to end of manufacturer warranty, it's eaiser to get item repaired to Pioneer.

If you feel you'd like to know more, I'd suggest contacting the helpful people at Consumer Direct, although not everyobne seems to know UK statutory rights

I'd suggest first pursuing things direct with the manufacturer and if you're not happy with the outcome then look into your rights firstly with consumer direct then perhaps trading standards.

Hoping this helps.

Dan.

10. purrfect_p

purrfect_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Dan for your reply. I am still trying but will keep you all uodated!

11. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    The same thing happened to me when my plasma was 3 months out of warrent. After speaking to my local Pioneer enginner, Eletroculley in Herts, he advised that this was happening to a lot of pio plasmas and to speak to Pioneer customer support. I called them expecting an arguement and they couldn't have been more helpful and offered to pay for the parts. Only cost me £100 in the end.
    I've pasted the link from my thread at the time if that helps.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166401