Pioneer plasma panel life

rags

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 434 but am concerned about the lifespan of plasma panels. I'm ashamed to admit it but my TV is on for about 8-10 hours a day with two kids, wife and my brother in the house.

How long will it last ?

Also how do the latest RPTV'S compare to the Pioneer in terms of picture quality - there is a new 50 inch Sony out that looks rather tasty. Can slimline RPTV'S like the Sony be wall hung and whats their normal bulb life - actually I think the Sony may be LCD rear projection ?

Thanks

I am in the same position and you can rest assure that your plasma will last you as long as a CRT or longer if you simply keep contrast and brightness to reasonable levels and even running the power saving option.

In my opinion, you can consider plasma, LCD or CRT. However RPTV is rather dead.....

Plasma life is equivalent to CRT life so don't worry. As for RPtv being dead, it may be heading that way but with new DLP and LCD versions available I think it will be around for a while yet. As long as it is less expensive than plasma then it will survive.

How does the picture compare between a good RPTV vs a good plasma ?

The Sony 50 inch TV is available for 2700 so its tempting against the Pioneer plasma which is 43 inches for more money. A link for the sony is below. I really want to buy a plasma but i'm trying to justify the outlay and banish the demons...

http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=2_13_4451

I've had one of the 50" Sony Grand Vega screens, it was the first model SX100.

I found the picture to be very washed out and that it really needed to be viewed in at least semi-darkness.

DVD playback was not too bad but the image was very soft, allmost slightly out of focus and the black level was dire.

Sky was awfull IMO with the image blocking badly.

It was great with the PS/2 though.

Anyway, they must have improved on it since then - I would hope.

Cheers, Lee

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom