1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasma cables

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johntaylor, May 18, 2005.

1. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without wishing to open a can of worms about cables...I would like to know if anyone has upgraded the supplied cables from a Pioneer PDP-435FDE. (The HDMI ones from the box to the set) I have a Denon 3910 connected by a Wireworld Starlight 5 HDMI cable to the box and was just wondering whether there would be an improvement with after market cables.

2. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  3. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really can't see that something gold or platinum plated is going to make a difference - as long as the cable is sold as a ready made HDMI cable. The cables to the panel from their AV box are specials, so I guess you are talking about the actual HDMI cables with the small flat connectors.

Since they are multiple pairs carrying serial digital, it's not like analogue where frequency response etc is affected by the quality of cable or in the case of SCART, whether it is really full RGB or cut down to PAL composite. If there was a real bad problem with a HDMI cable and very long cables would be first to suffer, your likely to get digital sync or obvious data corruption errors, green screens etc first. Think of it as video fast Ethernet.

When it comes to getting analogue RGB, SCART, Component (even PAL) into a box, then quality of cable, connectors, screening etc matter to a point - but you can get away with a lot if the cables are less than 1/2 metre. I make my own or chop 1 M ones in half adding the Scart connector. Works out cheaper and you get tidy short cables around the back.

On the 435, at some time in future I might need to get their extra long cables which are pricey, but I think they are Pioneer specials.

4. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify, the cables I mean are in fact (i think) a DVI and a control cable not HDMI as stated earlier. They are the two that go from the media box into the plasma.
    I have the DVD hooked up to the media box with the Wireworld starlight 5 cable. This wasn't a cheap cable and I'm wondering whether its worth having this cable going into the media box and then having the signal output with the supplied DVI and control cables which may be, allthough i have no idea about this, inferior.

Hope this is slighly better expained, thanks for any advice.

Maybe I should just go and enjoy a film!

5. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello.

I have the Pioneer 434HDE plasma. I have upgraded the DVI cable supplied between the media box and screen with the starlight 5 version from Wireworld. I didn't bother changing the control cable as this has no bearing on PQ. The $64.000 question is .....Does it make a difference? Well, I think it does :thumbsup: There is definitely less noise in the picture and there is greater detail in the backgrounds etc.

However, it is an expensive cable and the differences are subtle. It still does not improve on the low bitrate channels (or even the so called premium rate channels) on Sky. No output from them is going to look good on a plasma until HDTV arrives, (unless you invest in an expensive scaler :cool:)

Bottom line is , I would try and demo a cable on a sale or return basis (from the likes of Joe on these forums) and make your own mind up if you think its worth it.

Ive kept mine and am happy, at least with upscaled DVD :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for advice,

Robbertt, wasn't really looking for improvement on tv channels, primarily DVD, so I will try and demo a cable. Who exactly is Joe? and when you say you uspscaled the dvd, how was that achieved?

7. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Joe is Jo Fernand and he is a regular poster on these forums. His details can be found at http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/

Upscaled DVD is via my Pioneer 868 DVD player. This scales a picture to either 720p or 1080i via the HDMI link. This feature is becoming common on the later (high-end) DVD players and makes sense if you want to get the best quality to your screen. At least until BlueRay or HD-DVD arrives :D

8. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Robbertt, have emailed Joe with a request.
    My 3910 is set at 1080i, so thats maximum quality until BluRay or HD-DVD.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't expect you'd see much difference whatever you set the Denon to output, the plasma is still going to re-scale it. Your PQ is always at the mercy of Pioneer's electronics with this plasma. I'm with Voxmagna on digital cables, I reckon you won't get any difference until you have a problem. The 3m one that comes in the Pioneer box is of course adequate for the job. The 10m one is identical in spec and still works. The 1st sign you get of inadequacy in a digital video cable is little sparkles in the picture. If you've got them, you need a better cable or a shorter run.