1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Plasma and Media Box connection - HDMI or DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ilginone, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ilginone

ilginone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

i have just bought a Pioneer PDP-434HDE and want to keep the media box in my office while displaying the plasma in a seated area of my cafe.

the distance is around 10m but i want to allow for a 12m extension cable. I was online and saw a wireworld Ultraviolet 12m HDMI cable. i have been told that an HDMI cable is what i need to attach my media reviever to the plasma. However, upon opening the media reciever and plasma boxes, i have noticed that there isn't an HDMI socket on the plasma, and only the Black and White 'system' cables. I assume that i have been wrongly informed.

can i buy a wireworld DVI cable and their Plasma Controller cable to replace the standard double headed cable that i got with my plasma, or do i have to fork out a fortune for Pioneer's 30m optical extension?

please help

Gino

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry mate, bad news... Get the distance down to 10m and save a packet is the best advice I can give. Don't mess with the system cables, they cannot be altered. You will have a screenful of 'sparklies' with the wrong cable, even if the plugs fit. I have no shares in pioneer, nor the slightest interest in selling you a long cable, don't get me wrong. Just been there, done that, wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'd never have recommended that screen for such a long link up for that reason, nor really for a commercial install. Pioneer will wriggle out of any warranty on the screen for that application, they make commercial panels for that.

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    there is a 10m system cable from the media box to the screen but it's VERY expensive (200 quid) :suicide: .

This is probably the only option you've got.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Very expensive! You want to try the 30m optical link! Hence the advice to get the distance below 10m. It's cheaper to move the office wall a bit probably.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    NC11

I guess you haven't actually looked at the price of the WireWorld cables as yet - they make the Pioneer PDA-H03 10m cable at £200 look very cheap.

I've not tried it as yet but WireWorld do claim they can replace the System cable with an WireWorld MDR + WireWorld DVI - according to my WireWorld pricelist your looking at:

12m MDR - SRP - £109.97
    12m Ultraviolet DVI -SRP - £459.97

Even with a bit of discount that still makes the PDA-H03 at sub £200 for 10m a bargain.

Best regards

Joe

PS We have the PDA-H03 in stock and happy to 'quote' you on WireWorld.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have you actually tried the wireworld cable, Joe? I've had experience of trying different cables for HDE's and it ended in tears. 10m is as far as they like to go on the video cable, usual DVI problems.

7. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello Joe, Maw,

I also have the pioneer and was looking to 'upgrade the system cables supplied by Pioneer. I looked at the wireworld cables but the MBR control cable starts at 5m. I only need a 2m cable. Would it be feasible to leave the pioneer black control cable plugged in and just replace the DVI CABLE for the picture. If so would this result in a better PQ.....the whole point of the upgrade?

Im going to the Heathrow expo this saturday so I can always ask Pioneer direct but would appreciate your thoughts.....

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Hello ROBERTT

A three part answer if I may:

01. Will it connect - I've tried a fair few DVI-D cables between the Media Receiver and the Screen (leaving the Pioneer MDR in place) and so far only one cable has worked.

02. WireWorld say their DVI-D cable's will work - though I've yet to see it myself (and they've not said if you also have to have a WireWorld MDR cable in place or not).

So far WireWorld have been unwilling/able to send out cable's for us to try!

03. Will it make a difference - over to anyone who's seen it working :)

Best regards

Joe

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    03. Unlikely, wouldn't you say?

10. ilginone

ilginone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone who wrote in. i just cant get down to 10m, so i bought a wireworld ultraviolet 12m dvi cable and their mdr control cable, also 12m. wireworld said thier cables work perfectly upto 15 metres (ultraviolet).

the cables are arriving soon. i'll let you guys know if everything goes well :)

11. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello all,

Just bought a 2m starlight 5 DVI cable from the Heathrow show (30% discount!). Can confirm that this cable works by replacing the white pioneer cable but leaving the MDR cable in place. Does it make a difference? I think so yes...... colours are more vivid and there is more detail in the pic but it is subtle and whether its worth £200 is debatable. I am happy I bought one and Pioneer were using the starlight 5 cables to connect in their demo room so if its good enough for them its good enough for me :) :)

12. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced my Pioneer System cable (DVI) with a 2m Monster 400 DVI cable. Found a usefull improvement in saturation and colour. Would be interested if the (Monster) reference cable would add a further improvement. Interesting to see Pioneer using a non standard cable, what length was it?