Pioneer PL12D

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PATTCOBB, Sep 18, 2007.

1. PATTCOBB

PATTCOBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently been turned back to vinyl and my grandad (now 87) has been regailing me of tales from the early 70s of the stunning impact the 12D had on the hi fi market back then.
    I'm lead to believe if there ever was a hi fi "top ten of all time" then this pioneer tt would be in!
    So can I still get spare parts etc and just how good is/was it?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I wouldnt necessarily include it in a "10 Best",but certainly "10 most popular".

This was basically the turntable that single-handedly dealt with the UK based turntable market in the low-mid range regions.
    Simple,well made, had a decent arm and sounded very good into the bargain.

Belts are still available here...

http://www.donberg.ie/warehs/groupbe.htm

http://www.pltv.org.uk/pioneer.htm

And I suspect many other sources as well.

As long as the motor is in good condition,and the arm is working well,then you should have few problems.

Decent examples can be had on the usual sites for low prices,but there are a good number of rough ones around also.

If you are in the market for a turntable,you would also do well to look at the more modern competition from Rega and Project.

3. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I remember about 15 years ago comparing a PL12 to a very well known manufacturers CD player at a grand, and the Pioneer sounding much better....... :)

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Being fair though,many of the CD players of that vintage were fairly sharp sounding,and a well set-up PL12D(or many others of that time such as the Thorens TD160 etc etc) with even a relatively cheap cartridge such as the Shure M75,would come out much better.

I remember the first player from Meridian appearing,and looks aside,it was perhaps the first decent sounding CD player....but very expensive compared to a decent Tt.

5. cwilson

cwilson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PL12 D saw off the garbage that was the bottom end of the range from Garrard, etc, at the time. A deck from Rega, Project or clear audio from todays equal range would see off the 12D. As a cheap entry into the world that is vinyl the 12D, or at least a good example, would serve well, given what you would pay for it. I would rather have a Rega P or Planer 3, as long as it has the RB300 on board, and something like a Denon DL110. That is a combo that can show a lot of CD players the way home.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Not really up with todays turntables and not a paticularly good platform for upgrades. OK if you just want to get started but couldn't be recommended as a serious bit of listening kit.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Nicely put...as a cheap entry point yes,perhaps to be sure you really want to invest in a vinyl system,but as serious competition for current turntables...no.

8. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I have fond memories of my PL12D but more recent decks have proven a big step forward..Good starting point though

SRM Arezzo/Rega RB300/DenonDL-110/Arcam Alpha7/B&W DM601

9. PATTCOBB

PATTCOBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess what I am saying is with the quality of records available (eg 2nd hand - mostly of dubious condition) and my preferred listening of 80s music then what is the point of acquiring a new tt. Also I think the point about the 12d being one of the most popular ever items of hifi kit is valid.

How about it being either oneof the best ever in terms of vfm - or even influential bits of kit?

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I bought most of my records from second hand shops, a decent TT will still dig out all of the music unless the record is heavily scratched or damaged.

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I had a really bad copy of Close to The Edge by Yes (well some might say they are all bad copies :D). I thought it had, had its day and bought a re-mastered CD. New TT, new arm, new cart...........I suspect that the new combination somehow digs beyond the damaged grooves because it sounds pretty astounding and kicks the CDs bottom.

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It's a TT full stop. Tho' better IMO than a Sansui SRxxx? or Dual CS505 which were highly raved about but actually were dire awful. The design was in the era when TT design was not fully understood or even when many great designs were about. Sure it did sound better than many around it's price point and even it's next generation counterpart the PL112D, which looked much much smarter. My father had one partnered with a Pioneer reciever (can't remember model) & to me at the time, in my teens sounded good but I have fonder memories of the Pioneer's tuner which I thought was stonking for what it was.

ANY (decent) turntable of today will knock spots of it.

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    It was certainly a very influential TT,in that it moved a whole generation of UK enthusiasts away from some rather poorly made UK TT's,as mentioned above,and onto a newer,cheaper and better performing alternative.

However,all of that doesnt mean it still holds up against modern alternatives,and I think everyone has made that point so far.

A lot of vinyl,even good 2nd hand,is worthy of a good TT/arm/cartridge combination,and very good results can be had with carefully chosen used records if originally well cared for.

14. MadamePresident

MadamePresident

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I used to have a pioneer PL12D , not a bad deck but I didnt like the auto rotate when you moved the arm over the record. I changed it to a Sansui SR222MK2 and it sounded alot better.

The sansui probably still sounds quite good today ,a good bargain for about £40 if you can find one :)

Mod comment...ebay link removed

15. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    AH HA! There you go a difference of opinion. The deck I was thinking of!
    While I did not compare the Pioneer & Sansui side by side (no reason to, it was not my deck & not in the market for one) I do remember hearing the much famed Sansui & could not muster up any reason as to why it was given a best buy status. Even the build quality while nice and shiny seemed in a word cheap. It was very light :)
    From what I can remember the bass was very ill defined & weak. I think this made the upper registers stand out more clearly but there was no solidity to the sound.

16. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    This was compared to probably the most analogue sounding CD player at a grand at the time, but the point is, a £1,000 CD player couldn't match a what was about £30/40 25ish year old turntable for pure listening enjoyment.

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    That was indeed my point,and quite clear in my post above.