Pioneer Pioneer DVR SATA - Big problems

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by No-One, Jan 18, 2008.

1. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got a Pioneer DVR-212DBK just over a week ago from Overclockers. When I installed it and booted up I was presented with this error during the POST.

[​IMG]

Suspecting some kind of SATA connection problem I tried going through each of the available SATA ports on my Abit IP35 motherboard and also tried 3 different SATA cables. After not having any luck I returned the drive for a replacement. Instead of replacing the drive as requested, the supplier tested it, decided it wasn't faulty and returned it. When I got it back I tried again. This time it got through the POST and windows loaded. Then after about an hour, the entire ststem locked up and I had to press the reset button. When I did that I got the error again. At the moment I'm considering returning it for a refund and going back to IDE. I've already been without a working optical drive for over a week now. :(

Although I do have another computer in the house, it has no SATA power connectors so I can't test it on that.

Any ideas?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Could be that it's just not compatible with the SATA controller on your motherboard - are you operating it in RAID mode?

You could also try a BIOS update (if it's an Abit P35 mbd, the latest version is 14), setting to stock speed for everything (you appear to be running a very slight overclock for some reason) and resetting the BIOS to factory defaults!

Other options are

PCI SATA card - one known to definitely be compatible with the Pioneer drive!

SATA-USB external enclosure and operate via your systems USB!

Of course, it could be that the drive IS actually faulty, though if they've tested it as they say, then you'd hope not!

3. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    No idea about this slight overclock you mention. My cpu settings are all set to defaults.

I took the drive and my computer round to a mates today to try my drive in his and his drive in mine. Mine worked fine in his. (He has pretty much the same motherboard as me). We updated my BIOS to the latest version (version 15 just released this week) and the POST went fine but windows was still a bit dodgy. For some reason with the IDE controller enabled in the BIOS windows appears to be fine so far. No idea why the IDE controller would have any effect as I don't have an IDE drives. I'll see how it goes anyway. I know the drive is fine so any problems must be with my motherboard.

On an unrelated note, the BIOS update has fixed that damn annoying double boot issue that is common with the P35 chipsets.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It may just be a peculiarity of the motherboard, but AFAIK, the Q6600 is a 266x9 CPU - the picture shows 272x9.
    Also, the picture shows the RAM apparently overclocked by the same amount - DDR816 instead of DDR800.