Pioneer PDPLX5090, sound but no video from SCART inputs

Alexwells

Novice Member
Reaction score
Seasons greetings everyone, i've just joined AV Forums precisely to ask about the LX5090 that i recently came into possession of. My dad brought it home from a house he was working at, he managed to get it for 20 quid. After looking it up online i came to realise that it's got quite a cult following and when first looking at the image quality knew straight away that this TV still holds up today, it was a pleasant surprise from thinking that it would be nothing but an old plasma that's ran it's course.

I recently got the main board replaced as the regulators were failing (8 blue flashes on the LED light), which is apparently quite common with this TV?

Anyway, i've been wanting to connect my PS2 to it but haven't for the life of me been able to figure out what is going on. I'm connecting the scart leads into the inputs on the side of the TV (which is also HDMI 5?), but when I turn on the PS2 while on HDMI 5, i can only hear audio and there is no picture.

There's a couple of things i'm confused about. Every other TV i've had has had separate AV input channels, with this TV it seems that the HDMI channels and the AV inputs are shared. On the scart inputs on the side of the TV, it's labeled as HDMI 5. So i'm guessing that there must be an on screen setting that i have to set or something? I've messed around with the menu settings but i'm really not sure what i'm doing. I've also noticed that HDMI 2 has scart inputs too, but haven't had any luck with that.

Could it be that the scart inputs on HDMI 5 are failing? Like i said, when on HDMI 5, i'll get audio but no picture so it's being recognised. I'm either doing something wrong and missing a setting that i have to tweak, or there is something wrong with the scart inputs. I get the feeling that this just comes down to me not knowing how to work this thing properly yet, but i don't know, connecting scart inputs to a 10+ year old TV should be a piece of cake.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give.

You’re getting your socket types mixed up.
There are no Scart inputs on the side connection panel, those Yellow/Red/White sockets on the side connection panel are known as RCA Phono sockets (not Scart) and on that model they’re labelled as Input 5 (not HDMI 5).
The three 21 pin black rectangular sockets on the rear LHS of the large connection panel marked Input 1, Input 2, Input 3 are Scart sockets.
I suggest you download the user manual (easily found with a Google search) and read the section on “Using with other equipment“ (page 58).

Last edited:
You’re getting your socket types mixed up.
There are no Scart inputs on the side connection panel, those Yellow/Red/White sockets on the side connection panel are known as RCA Phono sockets (not Scart) and on that model they’re labelled as Input 5 (not HDMI 5).
The three 21 pin black rectangular sockets on the rear LHS of the large connection panel marked Input 1, Input 2, Input 3 are Scart sockets.
I suggest you download the user manual (easily found with a Google search) and read the section on “Using with other equipment“ (page 58).
Oh i've really balls it up haven't I. Thanks for clearing that up, i still have the problem of when plugging the RCA cables from the PS2 into input 5, there's no picture, only sound. I was thinking i was doing something wrong, or there's a setting that i need to set in the menu somewhere. Now i'm wondering if the board inside is just failing and that's why i can't see any video from the RCA input. I'll look through the manual though. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom