Pioneer PDP502MXE HD doesn't work

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rggrgg, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rggrgg

rggrgg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - i've had this very nice Pioneer 50" Plasma for many years, has served me well. Got Sky HD on Saturday, and although I don't mind getting another plasma if I have to, I really thought this thing would handle HD on the component inputs. Sadly it doesn't. The manual claims it will display 1080i and 720p; resolution of the screen is 768 lines. 720p displays vertically stretched and horizontally squeezed; 1080i displays streaky left and upward shifted picture (but pretty recognisable picture). Have tried fiddling various settings on the hidden 'installer menu' to no avail. I've used the progressive inputs for various DVD players quite happily over the years (though i realise they're not HD). Does anyone have any suggestions on whether this Plasma can be made to accept HD properly? It was pretty expensive in its day, and its day wasn't that long ago, so it would be a shame to relegate this to some other room.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
    Hello rggrgg

I don't have my User Manual to hand but I believe you have missed out the important (and in this case crucial) bit - it supports 720p and 1080i at 60Hz, but not at 50Hz!!!

One option is to install a Video Processor (800.00 GBP+) between the Analogue Outputs of SKY HD and the Display - in fact all of your sources can go through the Video Processor (VP).

With the VP in place you can convert the 1080i signal from SKY HD to the highest Resolution the Display accepts at 50Hz on its Analogue Inputs.

Best regards

Joe

3. rggrgg

rggrgg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems you're correct. Not being an expert, I do find it a bit irritating that a term like "HDTV 720p" is not enough to specifiy the format, you have to specify Frequency as well. A bit like having "PAL" available in 50 and 60 Hz. Well, I thought I might thave to get a new TV, but I'll look at video processors first.

Thanks for the help

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
    Hello rggrgg

It is a complex subject and often these products being built for a World Wide market tend to have the user manuals and product brochures written for the regions that mostly use 60Hz power sources.

Keep in mind too that when your Display was conceived and marketed there were no commercially available 50Hz High Definition source devices - only a mater of one or two years ago all 720p and 1080i 'HDTV' was 60Hz.

Introducing a Video Processor will pay big dividends in terms of video playback for all of your source devices.

Keep in mind the Video Processor can and does introduce some video processing time so you need to ensure you Audio Processor or AV Receiver can be set to introduce a 'lip sync' delay or include an external Delay into your plans; some of the Video Processor's you may want to consider in a short list have this audio delay facility built in.

Best regards

Joe

5. rggrgg

rggrgg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Understood, Joe; Thanks Again