Pioneer PDP436SXE Vs Panasonic TH42PX600

saint_david

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got my foot on the property ladder and Im in the early stages of choosing a plasma for my new flat. I was wooed by the looks of the Pioneer PDP436SXE up until today when i started thinking seriously about my budget. I've just come across the Panasonic TH42PX600 which i think i could get a good JL pricematch with, but im not really sure what the differences are between the 2 panels, apart from the price. Are there any glaring differences between the two or are they both decent TV's? Am i right in thinking the TH42PX600 is their latest offering (ie newer than the TH42PX60)?

P.S. I'll be viewing both with digital freeview for the foreseeable future thanks to the mortgage but i do plan on getting sky or ntl one day. My budget is roughly £1700 give or take a couple of quid either way.

good question, and id be very interested in the answer too. tho i have to say after looking at (and fiddling with) them both in currys and comet, i could not get the pioneer anywhere near as bright as any of the other sets. infact the pioneer looked the worse out of probably all the other sets in the store.

maybe it was a connection problem? but i doubt it. they were all playing PotC:2 trailer, and i have to say the philips and hitachi plasmas were much better than the pioneer and MUCH cheaper.

only doubts i have is i want mine for PC usage too

Hi

After reading these forums and looking at the manufacturers site I think you
will find that the biggest difference is the sound quality is much better on
the TH42PX600, as far as i'm aware they both have the same screen.

In which case you might want to read this thread just to be aware of reported problems

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326067&highlight=panasonic

wHoMe

THAT EFFECT OCCURS ON ALL PLASMAS!

When will this cease to be an issue??

astonbilla said:

I never saw this effect it on LG 42PC1R/D, and no one have seen it.
And I never want to see it when I play Xbox 360.

I think theres a thread already devoted to this possible issue, so back on topic - does anyone have any experience of both panels?

I have had both the PX60 and SXE. The SXE replaced the PX60 today. The PX60 has the same panel as the 600.

Picture quality is a subjective thing and one mans cracking picture is another mans nightmare. However, what I found is, the PX60 handles SD pictures (ie freeview) slightly better than the pioneer. But I think the pioneer wins hands down when it comes to DVD. Just my opinion and others will tell you different.
It is worth noting that if you intend to get Sky HD that the pioneer does have a hdmi issue which is yet to be resolved.

From a styling point of view, again the pioneer wins. However the PX600 is not nearly as bad as the PX60.

The PX60/600 is better connected than the SXE with an additional hdmi and also PC input.

For me, at the end of the day its about being happy with the picture quality because a TV is for watching. So try to view both side by side with both TV and DVD inputs.

The main difference between the two is price, but only you can say if the extra couple of hundred is worth it for the pioneer. I think it definitely is but the next guy will disagree, so try to see both before making a decision.

I have been deliberating between these two plasmas for ages!

Having read much of this forum, if it wasn't for the wretched screen retention/burn issues the pioneer suffers from, I would go out and get a pioneer today. I personally think it is a aesthetically the best set on the market in addition to boasting a cracking picture!

I think the picture is equally comparable on the Panasonic however I never really liked the look of the Panasonic plasma.

Hence I am still in a major quandary! From a reliability point of view, I would recommend the Panasonic.

I was in the same position - liked the look of the Pioneer but preferred the PX600 for a number of reasons - so I got the Fujitsu :rotfl:

Me too, I'm in doubt over PX600/436SXE but the LG PC1R is a third option.
I'm in love with the Pio but the retention/burn frightens me. And it's not just hear-say: in a shop where they have all three constantly on display, the Pio (2 units) shows the National Geographic logo when it's not supposed to be visible. :thumbsdow
The Panny and the LG didn't. Of course, they won't take special care like taking it off dynamic, but then they also don't for the other two makes. So at the very least, the Pioneer has to be treated carefully. Having kids I can't guarantee that, so no Pioneer for me :(
(mind you, the content was a loop of National Geographic + Astra + something logo-less, so the NG logo only appeared like 1/5th of the time -> the effect must build up)

If I were choosing between the Pioneer or the Panasonic then I would definitely go for the PX600 on a price match with John Lewis - I nearly did and it would have been a great value option.

astonbilla said:

From what I have read it seems to be more of an issue on the Panasonic, even
if it does occur on all plasma's its worth knowing before you buy than after IMO

But its certainly not an easy decision buying a new plasma especially if your a
fussy git like me, I had Pioneer PDP436 XDE and Panasonic TH42PX600 as my
top two choices but was put of buy their associated problems although I will
still go and get a demo and see for myself.

Unfortunately thanks to SP00KY I now have the 42" Fujitsu 58 series in my sites
as retention doesn't seem to be an issue with them, its just wether I can bring
myself to spend that much cash on a screen :cool:

wHoMe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom