Pioneer PDP436SXE Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by adamtw, Aug 2, 2006.

1. adamtw

adamtw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

3 months ago I bought the new Pioneer PDP436SXE. I had read up on this forum all about running it in, which I had been doing. I had no issues with the quality of the picture, it is superb.

However, I was away on business for a couple of weeks and when I got back my very new very expensive TV is completely dead. When I switched it on all I got was a blinking blue light. I tried searching the net for possible causes and thought perhaps it was something to do with the power supply. (Some people had problems during recent storms I gather). Mine was plugged into a surge protector plug.

I rang my supplier, who told me to ring Pioneer UK. They then told me to ring my local Pioneer service agent based in Leicester, who then collected the TV a couple of days later.

One week on, the fiasco continues, the service centre (Sound & Vision, Leicester) have been awkward to deal with, speak unclear English, never returned my calls and would not give me updates on whether they had found the root of the problem. I now learn that they have asked a Pioneer Technical Liason person to look at the set as they think the PDP panel is dead. You would not beleive the number of calls I had to make to them to find this out. This is not my idea of customer service.

I am gobsmacked that such a new TV can be dead so quickly, and, from such a reputable brand. I have no idea whether they will try and fix it, or whether they will replace it (My preference right now).

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this set or this brand? I thought I had made a wise choice, now I am not so sure.

I don't have any technical knowledge of plasma panels, so can anyone explain in simple terms the PDP Panel, how it might have died and if it is generally considered terminal if it does?

Thanks

2. 8MU

8MU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. SlinkDaddy

SlinkDaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Pioneer are one of the best after sales wise without doubt (local service agents can vary naturally). Were both the panel and media box surge protected? Surge protectors aren't fool proof, they dont always work. Its not likely to have been a surge otherwise you would probably have noticed probs with other equipment anyway.

Its always very annoying when things go wrong. Given you have said the PDP is dead (the panel itself) they may need to replace the screen anyway.

I know its harsh but only giving the service centre a week to sort it out is a little short imo. Bare in mind when they pick your set up they still have lots of other repairs to be getting on with and they can't just drop everything and fix your set.

4. PLASMATU

PLASMATU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If they are a bunch of lazy [email protected]##,you better call Pioneer directly and tell em that,jumpin that local service centre, so they lld eal with em hopefully,and you wont stress youself,unfortunately they ll hear more them then you.

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    my tv is being picked up tomorrow, can read the thread in my sig if you want my POV. i was treated very poorly for a customer and most probably wont be buying from toshiba again because of their lack of co-operation.

mhsslinky if they cant inform their contracted customers on a timescale and whats happening with their TV then they shouldnt be representing big manufacturers.

I was constantly told that they had no idea when they would even LOOK at my tv, even tho the engineers that came out saw it was a perminent problem with the screen.

i was told that repair times are affected by if the fault is intermittent or permanent... hmmm not knowing when they will get to look at tv mixed with intermittent problem? ... i feel sorry for that guy.

if they cant keep a customer informed or even estimate a return date let alone look at date on a £2k+ tv then the manufacturers should be revising their contracts. its disgusting CS, if they cant get TV's turned around in a decent time then they shouldnt be taking in more TV's... but hey what do they care they get paid by the manufacturers anyway

6. SlinkDaddy

SlinkDaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I wasn't defending the service centre, just saying that i think a week isnt that long. Are you saying they should turn warranty repairs away if they are busy? In an ideal world everthing would run as you say and i agree with what you are saying, but having been both in the trade aswell as a customer i can sympathise with both parties.

Yes the centres do get paid but if you think they get paid well for under warrenty repairs you are mistaken. You would probably then argue that they dont have to do the under warrenty repairs. Someone has to do them and a lot of service centres do these repairs at a loss/break even in order to attract profitable repairs when out of warranty. If i was in need of a repair i would only take my Pioneer to an authorised centre. Guess what?! To be an authorised repair centre you have to agree to do under warranty repairs for next to no if any profit.