1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP435xde.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nickeddle, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been reading this Forum for the last 3 months prior to deciding to buy a Plasma, in the end I decided for "future proofing" to go for the Pioneer PDP435xde.
    I am blown away by this set. pin point detail, good colour and looks fantastic on the PDK FS04 stand.
    No sign on Sky of Lip sink, I am also getting freeview programs without any ariel alterations and I live in the middle of the North Yorks Moors National Park and should not be able to recieve freeview,I cannot on my 32" Sony WEGA 100 hz CRT and the picture on the Pioneer is far superior.
    I have altered the settings as suggested by my supplier Le Concepts to reduce the chance of screenburn,aid longivity and give a more filmic apperance,for any one interested they are as follows:
    Set all inputs to AV Selection = Movie (Input1 ... Input3)
    Contrast=32
    Brightness=+4
    Colour=-6
    Tint=0
    Sharpness=-1
    Pro Adjust
    Pure Cinema = OFF (or at least STANDARD if you really need it)
    Colour Temp = Mid-Low
    MPEG NR = Low
    DNR= Low
    CTI = On
    DRE = Low

Power Control=> Enegy Save = Save

2. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Seems like a nice telly to me!
    1024x768 pixels and an HDMI connector!
    I bet it looks splendid! Do you have any AV devices connected to it using HDMI yet?

Brendan

3. gazwold

gazwold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been recommended this plasma in an earlier thread.

What's football and sports in general like?

4. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    After reading various threads in here, Im beginning to lean more towards the Pioneer XDE in preference to the Highly-praised Panasonic Viera.

Only one small comment about the Pioneer XDE... Contrast Ratio 1200:1.

Is this a little low? Do you notice any posterisation (seeing sharp steps in colour changes when the image is is supposed to be a gradual fade)

Brendan

5. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    gazwold

I managed to have a quick look at mine last night (waiting to wall mount so had it on the floor in its packaging). Checked the pictures from Sky+ on various channels showing football and was pleasantly surprised as i had heard a few negative thoughts on the forums (even Eurosport was ok) The only downside i can point out at this moment is the grass can look a bit computerized but I dont know if tweaking the settings can make better. Overall I was well impressed with pictures showing normal programs from a wide range of channels. This was straight out of the box with a couple of picture adjustments using a basic scart lead. I can't wait to see my HDMI DVD player in action or whenever Sky HD comes along.

I will say however that my screen has some type of screen burn or image retention as I can faintly make out what must have been a dvd menu displayed on the screen before it was delivered to me. So this is being swapped for a new one, but i'm glad I have seen the potential of this tv and I can say I will be totally happy with it (as long as I don't cause myself screenburn).

6. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Had a 435XDE for nearly a week now and PQ is excellent. With football the problem is not with the movement of the players or the ball but with the movement of the camera. When the camera pans across the pitch the players and ball particularly become blurred. If the camera is fixed then there is no blurring of the players or the ball. Presumably this is actually a problem on all TVs but just more noticeable on large screens. The more technical guys on this forum may be able to explain why this happens and more importantly is there anyway to fix it.

7. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    At present I have a Scan DVD player and a sony video connected by Scart. I will upgrade when the price of HDMI connected AV equipment comes down in price, on some US sites even 100 dollar DVD sets can have HDMI connections,so I will wait a little while to upgrade (save some more cash). The picture via DVD is Ok, but the player is several years old.
    Sport seems to be a good picture and the grass seems natural.
    To be honest I have not noticed any posterisation, the colours are very natural and the freeview picture is sensational.
    All in all I am very pleased with my purchase,also the 2 years "swap out " cover.

8. gazwold

gazwold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I didn't go for the XDE in the end have ordered and FDE from John Lewis

Comes Tuesday and I cannae wait..

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I do hope that you got them to pricematch Currys/Dixons : 3K inc Pio DVDR220 recorder?

If not its not too late to get the pricematch BTW.

10. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i saw one today properly set up in a local av shop, and its the best picture by far. they had various other plasmas on display all with there own feeds, they looked ok until i saw the xde, the picture really is awsome, very sharp and bright, and put the rest in the shade, i was totally blown away!!

11. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totally agree with you.

12. attach

attach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What I can't understand is why there have been some unfavourable comments posted on here in the past. To me the quality of the sky pictures and DVD are exceptional and totally surprised me. I decided to go for this screen as I felt it was the best looking plasma on the market and had the High def capability for the future. I was prepared to sacrifice a bit of picture quality for these other features but having had the screen up and running I can say that pictures are excellent and the tv is a fantastic whole package.

14. gazwold

gazwold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it for £2699 complete with the usual John Lewis five year warranty.

Still not sure about getting a DVD recorder yet cos of the varying over formats, I have rather unfortunate memories of the VHS/Betamax battle of which the inferior (IMHO) product won.

Next question, wall mounting, where's the best place to get the necassery brackets?

G

15. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just to say I have bought a Panasonic DVD -S97 from Web Electrical for £219.99
    with HDMI connector, set at 720p it gives a great picture with the Pioneer.
    Just watched the Last Samuri with this setting and it`s fantastic.

16. Setch

Setch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had my 434XDE since the Wednesday and have had plenty of time to fiddle with all the settings. I have used the settings at the start of this thread and the quality is pretty good. I will try and have it properly calibrated sometime later in the year after it has settled in as I know the picture quality as it is now is far from perfect.

DVD picture quality using progressive scan is out of this world.

I am a little upset that I cannot connect my PCs DVI out to the HDMI port as I use it for TV recording and it would have been great to push it back out through the digital output of the PC rather than the VGA.

I have NTL digital and so far all the channels have been very good. I watched the Arsenal vs Sheffield Utd match earlier and I would say that it was a very very good picture and am looking forward to the Man U vs Everton in 45mins.

Setch

17. Prax

Prax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes need advice on wall mounting