1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP435XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CTT, Sep 8, 2004.

1. CTT

CTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been looking at these boards for a while and had almost chosen on the PDP434HDE and unfortunately missed out on the JL offer.

But, just looked at unbeatable who have the PDP435XDE at £3164, cheaper than most places which are still doing the 434 at around £3300. I know there's been a fair bit of scepticism on these boards about the quality or not of the 435 due to the lack of information, but this price seems to good to be true for a supposedly new and improved model.

2. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    That sounds like a good price

3. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the advertisers on here has it for £3,600 (can't remember which one - it was flashing away at the top). I thought it was a good price too given I've been told how much of a bargain I'm being offered at £3,300 for the old model!!

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It sounds like an excellent price but having said that, we don't know what the retail price of it will be and also we don't know yet whether it will be better than the existing model.

From the little I've heard it should be better (although I'm not too sure about this plastic screen business which I understand panny are doing as well). However, the one review of the FDE wasn't too great I understand (although as someone pointed out there were extenuating circumstances involved.)

I think someone on another post summed it up when they reminded everybody that the panny 5 wasn't as good as the 4 and even the 6 didn't reach that level. We always assume that new models will improve on old models but that isn't always the case. I've got an old Sony 525 dvd (yep, I know, it's an antique) but it has always played everything I've thrown at it and has been reliable. The replacement models, the 535 series had all sorts of problems in that layer changes were longer, lasers kept failing etc. Common perception was that in cutting costs they'd cut quality out, I hope that if these new ones are coming in considerably cheaper than the old models that they haven't cut the same corners as Sony did.

I think it's a difficult call with these things whether or not people will go for the new one or try to get hold of one of the current models while stocks last.

I do know the one thing that reading these forums has taught me though, and thats reviews are all very well but there's no substitute for seeing screens in action showing the type of programs/signals etc that you'll be watching and seeing if you like it. Problem is, by the time the new ones hit the streets, the old ones may be in short supply if they turn out to be better.

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    knowing Pioneer, the new ones will be in even shorter supply. By the time u read a review in a mag, u won't be able to buy one for 6 months!

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Hmmmm....

My experience with plastic is that its very easily scratched. I wonder how this will affect the new Pio? I feel much happier cleaning glass than plastic

7. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any info on the 505XDE as far as quality from a good source ?

8. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Must say I agree, biased I know (504) BUT, glass v plastic & scratches......

B.

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've never heard of problems with LCD monitors, they are plastic

10. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you have a point, But.... it's not 50 inches!

IMHO glass is more resiliant.

B.

(& I told you I was biased anyway :D )

11. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    if it's 50" you're probably going to take even more care of it than some small thing sitting on top of your pc.