1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP435XDE vs PDP505XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richardb70, Mar 2, 2005.

1. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,777
    Having a quick Google around, it looks like there's around £1000 between these two models. Cash is a bit tight (just bought a house) but can anyone help me in justifying the extra £££ to myself?!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One's enourmous, the other is just big. 43" and 50" That's pretty much it.

3. Vulgar Fraction

Vulgar Fraction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw both in tottenham court road, side by side, both showing HD sat. I have to say the 50" looked much better, much sharper. It may be my eyes or may be the extra pixels - but I'd go for the bigger one - just my thoughts.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The pixels on the 50" are in fact bigger than on the 43", so that can't be it. There must have been some difference in setup. However, the encouragement is in the right direction, I know of several people who wish they'd bought a bigger screen, and nobody who wishes it were smaller. Wall mounted, they do shrink, you get very used to it, and soon your mates' 32" W/S things will look microscopic and you will need to lean forward in your chair. Not a big problem as they will all be round at your gaff, with beer if they are real mates...

5. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Beware 50" might be too big for your room. All depends on your viewing distance.

6. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might know where you saw both in TCR, at my friends shop who had one above the other. The 50" looked alot better so I swapped the cables round at the back and bingo the 43" looked better. It just goes to show how important correct cabling is...dont scrimp otherwise whats the point of spending all that money on a good plasma

7. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,777
    Thanks a lot for the comments - much appreciated.

I'm not planning on wall-mounting the plasma, so I'm looking at either an Equinox AV 3 or an Optimum AVFF3 glass shelf setup. Viewing distance around 10 - 12 feet.

So I guess the question is: does the extra 7" and a bunch of extra pixels warrant a pretty large bit of extra cash? In terms of PQ, is there much to compare? I'd be mostly watching DVDs from a Panasonic S97 through HDMI, with the odd bit of "regular" TV.

I've only seen the 43" so far and it seemed pretty big close up, but then I'm used to a 32" Sony CRT....!

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Richard,

My advice would be to go for the 50" if you could possibly stretch to it (you wouldn't ever regret it!)- and your viewing distance of 10' to 12' is just right for one. Bear in mind that the 50" would only need to scale a 720p signal in one direction only, whereas the 43" would need to scale it in both. Try Joe at TMF for a good deal. Hope this helps.

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_plasma_pioneer.htm

Steve

9. notlongnow

notlongnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the 50" XDE wall mounted last week and I agree that it's all about the viewing distance. We are some 6 meters away with a wall that's 5x4 m in size and a 42 " screen would just look too small.

For anyone interested, the picture on the XDE with the Pio 868 DVD is simply brilliant. Sky picture is also great (in context).

I do however have a problem with my Arcam AV50 amp as it is not recognising my sub output. I don't fancy spending £200 getting Arcam to repair it as I would rather upgrade.
    I am inclined to stay with Pio to maximise the benefits of compatibility and would welcome comments of which amp I should go for as a minimum (I think I should go for i-link for future proofing) and whether you think staying with Pio makes sense or not.

Mike

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    As happy as I am with my Panny TH-42PWD6 I wish I had gone for the 50 inch as the rectangular shape of widescreen just makes it seem smaller than if it were a 4:3 ratio, especially if wall mounted as someone said. Still just as well as the next plasma I get will probably be in around two years and I will definitely go for 50 inch or even bigger, when they will be much better and hopefully 'true' HD panel designs.

11. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm facing exactly the same dilemma; do I go for the 50" wall mounted with a viewing distance of 10.5 feet? Some sales reps think its too close for 50", others just right. Internet searches on viewing distances suggest its OK for HD. However the majority of broadcast here in Aus is SD so I wonder whether 50" would look either too big while watching the news and such like, and/or too pixelated. I want big but not overwhelming. On the flipside, I'm also worried that after 1 month with a 43", I'll be saying I wish I'd bought a 50". Being a nerd I appreciate that the 50", having more pixels, will only have to scale in one direction. I'd hate to lose resolution if its there to be had. Money is not the issue for the screen, its about getting the right one for the space.

Note that I mainly want to use the screen for:
    1) DVD via Pio676 (called a 575 in Europe)
    2) broadcast Aussie rules football (currently Widescreen but not HD)
    3) broadcast News and other programs (maybe HD).

In Aus, I'd get the LG settop box which has DVI out and send that to the HDMI port. I'd use component from pio676 DVD. The thought is I expect that HDMI DVD will be much cheaper in 2 years and I'll upgrade the DVD, which I just bought, then rather than spend AUS$2000 on the top end Pioneer DVD now. When I go this route, I'll need a HDMI switch as here in AUS we get short changed on the 435 and 535's controller, only 1 HDMI port, no component on the front panel and no Firewire. Typical.

In conclusion, is 10feet just too close for the 50" Pio or pretty good?

12. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Pio 505XDE & went through the same dilema!! luckily the shop I bought it from had both the 43 & 50 in stock & I spent a lot!! :D of time sitting & watching both screens.

I am so glad I stretched the extra bit, as the 50" is fantastic. I had mine wall mounted with 3 B&W FPM5 to complement the fantastic piano black finish & it looks great. Viewing distance is 15 Ft on a wall 5m accross. The viewing distance it totally upto you there are no real (any that I could find) rules about distance Vs screen size apart from the obvious (don't site 20' away from a 40" screen!! :rotfl:

DVD's are fantastic however, Sky sports is the only down side on the screen. I am not sure if this would be better on the 43" model?

CW.

13. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,777
    Again, thanks for the comments. Last I checked, the local JL in Reading ("The Cultural Centre Of The Universe") only had the 43" so it looks like a TCR visit could be in order.

With a side-by-side comparison against the 505, would the shortcomings of the 435 be very noticeable with a decent source? And not that it's a big deal, but does regular TV look a bit more presentable on the smaller screen?

It looks like the "wall mounters" prefer the extra size, but I'm just getting my head round what an enormous monster would look like on top of a glass shelf system. A bit daft, probably.

14. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At my local dealer (Technosound in Milton Keynes) they were offering £400 :D off the PDP505XDE if you traded in any & I mean any CRT tv!! (I got a knackered one from the Dump!). Worth a try. I think most Pio Works dealers will have the same offer.

This helped the £££ diference! especially getting the budget agreed ( :lease: ) with the Wife :devil:

CW.

15. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Get a 50" - the extra 256 pixels width should make the black bars at the top of 2.35 anamorphic DVDs much smaller (the 43" gives full widescreen at 1.85 ratio).

16. dlcc

dlcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know most pioneer dealers are offering £250 off (checked technosound they are £250 also) with 2 year warranty.
    The only problem is they are sometimes more than £1200 dearer than online suppliers who dont offer the tv trade-in. technosound are £1200 dearer so is it really worth it to go with them.
    I am shortly going to buy a 50" pioneer but I hear so much about phillips new pixel plus 2 and ambilight2 (out in mid 2005) and hitachis next generation plasmas that it is hard to commit to plasma now. I am never going to be able to buy 1 as all the new ones coming out always are so tempting to hold off for. :cool: :hiya:

17. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - Make the Jump! you'll never get one at this rate!!

With regards to Technosound, I got £400 as they were offering £250 off the 43" & £400 off the 50"? they must have changed the offer. I did get mine in December.

At the time I checked all on-line retailers (well all I could possile find!!) & with the £400 + the extra £350 they knocked off I found it imposibble to beat especially since they were installing all my other AV kit.

The trouble with a lot of on-line retailers I found is that they wouldn't touch the Install! :mad: + if they did it was rediculous like £500 :mad: :mad: + they are 5 miles from my house & I can get them around if there are problems!! :rolleyes: None to date!