Pioneer PDP435 Owners

K

kp090

This is for all owners of the pioneer pdp435....

Just wondering are any people here experiencing problems when watching sky with motion such as football? When watchin sky the picture is very smeary and blotchy and not that clear. Can people let me know if they having problems such as the ones i have described?

Also what sort of settings are u using for your sky in the picture control such as DNR etc...? can you list your picture settings

Thank You

Well worth having a search for more info on this, there is quite a bit regarding it.

It was the reason I got rid of mine within a week.

As a balance, I bought my xde for dvd use and any concerns regarding sky were secondary, so when i demoed and got the screen home i was suprised that the sky picture (inc football) was a lot better than I feared from feedabck on the forum. In comparison to my CRT the problems were more to do with the sky itself rather than the screen. I'm very happy with mine, and I'm sure if other saw it they'd be happy too, however, I'm well aware there are better screens for terrestial and digital tv than the pioneers. If sky is important to you then yes better options can be had - just that pioneers are no way bad just not the exemplars.

Respect to Gizlaroc for getting rid straightwaway when not happy - too many people keep things for too long when not happy and then try and justify the purchase.

If I wasn't happy as Gizlaroc was then I'd do something about it too.

I bought the 435xde amid the talk of sky problems. Basically I reckon if you feed in a good signal i.e. component / vga you will get a good result. I have a pace sky+ box converted to component (with the cheaper cyp convertor - not js tech) then switched (it's like feeding component directly into the plasma) via the amp to the component input. The PQ is very very good, no smearing or blotching at all.

Faxfan, any details of your converter? Sounds interesting? :)

It's a RGB Scart to Component convertor. Either JS Tech (highly recommended by forum members) or CYP (I have this one, presumably it is lower quality than the JS Tech one) supply then. JS Tech adverts are all over the forum - I *fink* you are looking at £100 - £120 for one.

Couple these with a decent RGB scart lead (£30) and component cable (£30) you should get a very good PQ on the pioneer.

I'd try just a decent scart cable to begin with - you may well be happy with the results. I doubt it once you get a decent dvd player going with the pio...

I always work on the principal of garbage in / garbage out when it comes to plasmas.

I am sure people will post there settings in here for you, though if you have not got a set up disc then get one ordered, it makes the world of difference just getting the black level, white level, sharpness and saturation correct.

I use my TV mainly for Sky these days, and that is mainly for sport, so it wasn't the right screen for me. Now a mate has one and he only uses an HDMI dvd player on it, no tv at all and it does a great job. I don't want you to think I am bashing the set, I am not, the one I bought after the Pioneer and before I went back to a Panny I would bash though! ;)

FaxFan2002 said:
It's a RGB Scart to Component convertor. Either JS Tech (highly recommended by forum members) or CYP (I have this one, presumably it is lower quality than the JS Tech one) supply then. JS Tech adverts are all over the forum - I *fink* you are looking at £100 - £120 for one.

Couple these with a decent RGB scart lead (£30) and component cable (£30) you should get a very good PQ on the pioneer.

I'd try just a decent scart cable to begin with - you may well be happy with the results. I doubt it once you get a decent dvd player going with the pio...

I always work on the principal of garbage in / garbage out when it comes to plasmas.

Thanks for the info - v useful. Reading the forums I was never convinced that a converter could do much to improve an xde's picture, glad to hear its worthwhile.

Got a pretty good scart at the minute, but for the extra performance of a converter I may investigate further. My dvd player is HDMI'd to the screen and it does highlight the need for a better sky signal, although I may hold off until the HD boxes come out hopefully this should (!) alleviate the quality issues.

In answer to the main thread, Gizlarocs advice of a setup disc is a good one - it'll get you to within 80% of an ISF calibration if done right.

deanym said:
Thanks for the info - v useful. Reading the forums I was never convinced that a converter could do much to improve an xde's picture, glad to hear its worthwhile.

Got a pretty good scart at the minute, but for the extra performance of a converter I may investigate further. My dvd player is HDMI'd to the screen and it does highlight the need for a better sky signal, although I may hold off until the HD boxes come out hopefully this should (!) alleviate the quality issues.

In answer to the main thread, Gizlarocs advice of a setup disc is a good one - it'll get you to within 80% of an ISF calibration if done right.
thanx for all your replies, yeah i think ill jus have to try the dve disc out and see if that makes any difference? cant wait till sky hd is out, then i can see the plasma's true potential!
if any is using the pioneer for sky can they post their settings please...
Also ive set my sky and tv to RGB but the picture keeps distorting and stuff its exactly like when its raining and the signal is breaking up, however when i put it back to video/PAL the distortion in the signal is fine?? any suggestions?
Thank you for your help people

I turn off all the picture "en-ha-ncements" that I can find and that improved things no end, at factory default it was not very good at all. When I get home I'll let you what settings I have.

FaxFan2002 said:
I turn off all the picture "en-ha-ncements" that I can find and that improved things no end, at factory default it was not very good at all. When I get home I'll let you what settings I have.
OK thanx alot mate... really appreciate it!
do you have any idea why when i put sky and tv on rgb the picture gets like when its raining, you know the picture and sound start crackling and stoping etc... it does this for first couple of seconds then its fine, but when i have the tv and sky in video/PAL its fine? I read on the forum that sky and tv should be rgb?

kp090 said:
OK thanx alot mate... really appreciate it!
do you have any idea why when i put sky and tv on rgb the picture gets like when its raining, you know the picture and sound start crackling and stoping etc... it does this for first couple of seconds then its fine, but when i have the tv and sky in video/PAL its fine? I read on the forum that sky and tv should be rgb?
Just orderd the dve disc should get here tomorrow and hopefully it sorts the picture stuff off... now onto the other problem of why my picture becomes like when it rains

Ok settings -

Under Picture:
Contrast 40
Brightness 0
Colour 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema off
Colour Temp Mid
MPEG NR off
DNR off
DRE OFF
Colour Managment - all settings 0

I'm running component but you should have under Option, input select, RGB selected if you are running RGB

Then on the sky you should set it to RGB - Services, System setup, picture settings, video output - RGB

I'd do the TV first - I suspect the screen will probably turn green, but still viewable. If you do sky first you will probably lose the picture altogher (or maybe it's the other way round??).

Have fun!!

An excellent picture is do-able just turn off the pro adjust rubbish! Not sure about sound since I run all my sound through an AMP.

gizlaroc said:
I am sure people will post there settings in here for you, though if you have not got a set up disc then get one ordered, it makes the world of difference just getting the black level, white level, sharpness and saturation correct.

I use my TV mainly for Sky these days, and that is mainly for sport, so it wasn't the right screen for me. Now a mate has one and he only uses an HDMI dvd player on it, no tv at all and it does a great job. I don't want you to think I am bashing the set, I am not, the one I bought after the Pioneer and before I went back to a Panny I would bash though! ;)

Bash away, what was it....................

FaxFan2002 said:
Ok settings -

Under Picture:
Contrast 40
Brightness 0
Colour 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema off
Colour Temp Mid
MPEG NR off
DNR off
DRE OFF
Colour Managment - all settings 0

I'm running component but you should have under Option, input select, RGB selected if you are running RGB

Then on the sky you should set it to RGB - Services, System setup, picture settings, video output - RGB

I'd do the TV first - I suspect the screen will probably turn green, but still viewable. If you do sky first you will probably lose the picture altogher (or maybe it's the other way round??).

Have fun!!

An excellent picture is do-able just turn off the pro adjust rubbish! Not sure about sound since I run all my sound through an AMP.
Faxfan... cheers mate ill give these settings a go if the dve disc dont sort it out, do u have any idea about why the picture freezes or stops etc.. like when it rains when i put it into rgb?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom