1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP435 or Panasonic 42PV500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bilbo77, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Bilbo77

Bilbo77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm interested to buy a 42" inch flatscreen in a near future and been surfing the internet to see which models are the best on the market right now. It resulted in the following list:

1. Pioneer PDP435
    2. Panasonic 42PV500
    3. Hitachi 42PD7200
    4. LG 42PY10X

After some more investigation I found out that Hitachi 42PD7200 have problems with black level and contrast while LG 42PY10X seem to have technical problems with quality. So it finally came down to Pioneer PDP435 or Panasonic 42PV500.

Which one is the best of them? :confused:

2. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my problem as well, however I would not discount the Hitachi untill you have seen one in action. I would also suggest the 42PD7500 as that is the 7200 with the digital freeview box the same as the panny and pioneer.
    I think that I am coming down on the side of the Panny due to the price of the Pioneer and the fact you have to pay extra for the speakers. (Yes I have an AV system, but others in the household will want to turn the TV on and just watch Coronation Street of The Wiggles without the neeed to boot up the whole system)
    Looking at the prices, the Pioneer is rather more expensive than the Panny (I am looking at wall mount versions of both) wherever you look and after looking at the two of them the differences are very slight and to my eye, slightly towards the Panny.
    The other consideration is where are you going to put the screen and if the panny requireing lots of cables to the back or Pioneers two cable only system is more your requirement.
    OR you could wait ad see in October if the pioneer comes down in price as the new versions hit the stores.
    I look at it that whenever you jump in around the next corner will be the newer, faster batter version, so will probably go for the Panny.

I hope that helps

3. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in a similar situation. I like the look of the Pioneer more and have had terrible experiances with Panasonic customer services in the past, however alot of what you read here seems to suggest the Panasonic is better.
    What concerns me is that the Panasonic has a 3000:1 contrast ratio versus 1200:1 on the Pioneer, that's a huge difference, particularly as Plasmas are reputed to a fair amount of brightness in the fist year (up to 25% I have heard..don't know if it's an exageration). Also, I did read somewhere on this forum (I can't seem to find the thread now) that someone said the Pioneer was unwatchable in dark rooms....I don't know what they mean (does anyone) but it is a worry, as is the humming noise. I really need to see some fed with SKY digital as that's what I will use alot as well as my Arcam DV89 on progressive scan. Some people say the Pioneer is terrible with Sky others say it's great.

So I am not sure if I should get a PDP435 for a good price or wait for the forthcoming PDP436. There is talk of a 4000:1 contrast ration on the Pioneer Japan site. WOW.

Chris

4. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had another look at a panny in the worst possible situation, in a Currys store :D
    It was on analogue and the picture was great, a lot better than the Pioneer 435FDE next to it (analogue tuner only???) which had the static silver speakers fitted for £2,899
    The Panny also looked quite good with the freeview internal box as well...

Decisions, descions........

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi,

I've had a panny6 panel and moved to pdp435xde. The blacks are very black on the pannny6 but I think this results in a slight unnatural picture. The pio gives a far more realistic human picture which I find more enjoyable. You can watch the pio in a pitch black room and it's fine - not sure where the claim you cannot watch the pio in a dark room came from but that's utter rubbish. I've no humming noise and, yes, the pio can be fussy with sky, you really need to improve the signal (I upconvert rgb scart to component before it hits the tv) and it'd fine. But I had to do the same for the panny as well.

I'd suggest seeing both in action before making a choice!

BYTW I got the PDP435XDE (inc. freeview) from buyyourav.com for £2.5k (including wall bracket & two free return flights to the USA & two year warranty).

6. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just been to Shasonic on Tottenham Court Road where they have both plasmas in the same moderatly lit room both showing digital freeview. I watched some golf (good fro greens!) and the lunchtime broadcasts on BBC1 and ITV and I preferred the Pioneer.

I found that up close (<2ft) the Panasonic had much less noise than the Pioneer and a seeming smoother picture, particulary on blacks where there was almost no perceptable noise on the Panasonic. However when viewing both from 8ft (my viewing distance) the Pioneer seemed much better, the picture seemed sharper with no trace of noise. In comparison the Panasonic seemed a touch soft with less clearly defined edges. I also felt that the Pioneer had better colour definition, the Panasonic seemed a bit to warm with the red tones being too strong, I tried to reduce it but it didn't really help.

So I don't know what others have found but for me in a side by side test it was quite cleerly the Pioneer that I liked more, I guess a lot of it is down to what sort of picture you like; I like a sharper slightly cooler picture.

I did ask the assistant about the claimed contrast ratio, i.e the Panasonic at 3000:1 versus the Pioneers 1200:1 and he claimed that Pioneer measure it in a normally lit room whereas Panasonic measure it in the dark. I don't know if there is any truth in that but it would seeme to make sense. Either waym you can only go with your eyes.

Chris

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The salesman who told you how the contrast measurements are derived is making it up......or has, unfortunately been mislead. They are on/off contrast measurements and the reason they are so different is purely down to the Panasonics ability to go darker when displaying a black field in comparison to the Pioneer.

8. unclelonghair

unclelonghair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The price of the 435XDE seems to be dropping already - LE Concepts in Newcastle are now doing it for £2699 inc pedestal stand or wall bracket (not Pioneer), choice of speakers and the free flights offer - they are also including 3 years warranty.

I was thinking about getting one this weekend, then spotted the info about the 436. Now I'm even less sure of what to buy :confused:

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I thought you could get a 435 for under £2.5k with 2 free flights to new york?

10. unclelonghair

unclelonghair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but just the panel and media box - not with stand and speakers.
    The stand is £170, and the speakers £150.

Standard Pioneer warranty is only 2 years as well.

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My local hifi store gave me a price match with AVsales on my 435XDE.
    Panel, media box, stand, speakers, 2 year warranty, 2 free flights = £2411.00.
    Although the AVsales offer includes delivery as well, looking at most online shops, thats about another £60.
    I went and collected mine.........more than a happy bunny.. :clap: :clap:

12. unclelonghair

unclelonghair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a very good price - not sure how I missed it!!

Even adding the extra years warranty it's £159 cheaper, not taking into account delivery costs...

If LE Concepts can't get close to that price I think AV Sales will be getting a call :)

How do you find it? I've been looking at the HD Samsung, and Hitachi 7200, but the Pioneer is the one I have really wanted since I first saw one up and running in a shop..

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I was looking at the others, but have always liked the look of the pioneer and once they priced matched, that was it, i had to have it.

14. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

What about this deal from av-sales ?

£ 2411 delivered.
    Pioneer 435XDE
    Desk top stand
    Pioneer 'Long-Air' speakers
    2 year Pioneer warranty
    2 free flights to New York/Boston

15. unclelonghair

unclelonghair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which is what Chris posted above...

16. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just found the Panny TH42PV500WAL for £1,199 delivered and the Pionerr not so good with wall bracket and speakers for £2,720 at
    www.digico.co.uk

17. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £2199,

nearly made a purchase :D

18. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DOH!!!c (Slaps Head) what a numpty!! :oops: :oops: :suicide: :suicide:

19. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres cheaper out there!

20. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I am looking for! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

21. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I have bought the Pioneer PDP-435XDE for £2249 with the air speakers and pedestal stand, with the flights (don't know if I will use them as they are quite limiting and accommodation is always the biggest cost), I also got a 30% discount on the relevant cables.

I nearly didn't as the picture looked a bit rough in the store then I looked at the settings, they were terrible, contrast was at 100% sharpness and colour was very high. I played about with it for 10 minutes or so and got it looking much nicer. It makes you thing what a professional calibration could do?

In the end I didn't consider the Panasonic as I did not like the pictures on it (I know it is entrirely subjective), I saw a few and didn't really like any of them. My dilemma was if I shoud wait for the new Pioneer PDP-436. In the end (with my wifes persuasion) I decided the 435 was a good deal and a great set. I know I will have some regrets but I get that everytime something new come out as prety much every upgrade (by definition) is an improvement on the previous model.

Just got to set it up now. Anyone got any rough suggestions for Sky (via RGB scart) and DVD via the component? I know I should tone the contrast down to not burn the screen (how low is low enough), but I was wondering how important this is on the Pioneer as the claimed contrast is less than other sets anyway?

Any other advice with this set? I have also heard of buzzing problems? I didn't notice any in the store but it was quite loud in there.

Thanks

Chris

22. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, thats a good price, where was that?

23. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Harrods suprisingly enough, it was reduced (!!) to £2750 with the Air speakers and stand. but on the last day of the sale it was an additional 20% off for cardholders, so I took out a Harrods Card.

Chris