1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP435 FDE, Sky+ as main reciever, comments please.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dave Williamson, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone

Bit of a noob question I'm afraid, I was out and about yesterday looking for a 42" Plasma and it's looking like I've set my heart on a Pioneer, I found an FDE for £2,699 in Binns of all places, but I've been reading on these forums about its problems with Sky+ and the PQ looking horrible with it... Well as I'd be using my Sky+ box as the main reciever I'm now very concerned.

I'm looking for comments and suggestions from people who use this combo or know how to rectify the PQ issues if of course they can be rectified..

Other than that I'd appreciate some suggestions on a comparible HDTV plasma in both price and quality.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Dave.

2. Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No One?.... :(

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The only other to fit your bill will be the NEC XR3

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I have asked the same questions and no one has given me an answer.
    I have been wanting someone to say "if you do this and this ot will be stunning" but no one has :(

And to make matters worse my mate has bought one after owning a PW6, or maybe it was a 5 actually, and he is very disapointed with it, he is trying to get the shop he bought it from to give him a good buy back price on it agaisnt a HD7 or somthing else.

I am going to have a go with the NEC 42XM3, it seems to do everyting resolution wise, has loads of inputs and compatible with 50Hz HD stuff too. A few guys have gone from the Panasonics to the NEC units and have been very pleased.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can get flamed for saying FDE's are not good.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I am not saying that they are "not good"

I am saying that all the ones I have seen so far are absolutely crap!!!

It is a shame really as it would be the perfect screen for me, great looking on the wall, one cable running to it, neat speakers underneath for everyday viewing, takes all the HD resolutions, takes RGBs so I could loose another black box, I can get it (the XDE) for a very good price and on interest free.

7. Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is what I'm afraid of, paying a fortune only to be gutted by a poor PQ with Sky+

I'd seen the Pioneer being demonstrated at the Ideal Home Exhibition and it completely blew me away, the sales guy had to walk over and close my mouth for me as I was dribbling.. Of course he then explained all about HDTV and informed me that what I was watching was actually a HDTV tape, the fact that it was a recording blew me away once more...

From that day to this I've wanted to own one, and as we decided that it was time for a plasma in the house I immediately hoped for this one but first off started looking at the Pany PW6 or 7 just because of the more available price and the fact that it seemed to be a favourite on these boards...

But to tell the truth, I've worked out the finances and figured "what the hell" I'm having the Pio, so I started reading what I could only to learn that it doesn't work well with Sky+

Well most of our TV watching during the evenings will be Sky and so this is terrible news, I was hoping that someone had enjoyed good experience with this combo and knew how to make it good..

Is there any 435 owners out there using their sky box as the receiver and who are happy with the PQ?

If I didn't buy the Pio (although this is the one I really want) what other unit is comparable and is future proof i.e. HDTV like the Pio 435

Thanks again

Dave.

8. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    S'up dude - I have the 434HDE and I am very happy with it.

OK, some Sky channels can be wierd to watch PQ wise but it's nothing to get hooked up on. DVD is awesome. The screen itself looks great on the wall.

I'm fussy - but I'm more than happy with my 434.

Life is short, get on and buy it, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If I'd bought one I'd be gutted. I've installed 3 in my business life. I recently refused a job cos the customer could not be persuaded not to have one. The only serious picture you can get with them is 720p on digital. I have never left one happy with the picture, and most folks who buy them can't believe they've got to spend at least another £300 on a DVD or it's rubbish with that too. (seen lots with picture problems, been bought at JL and customers pay me to diagnose a fault)

Anyone asked themselves why the discount deals are so good? Those XDE's are sold by Pioneer 'works' dealers only supposedly (cough) They are splashed all over the internet for twopence halfpenny.

10. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hey Bud! what you worried about? I have the 50" XDE and I am very happy with the PQ on Sky. Yeah it's true some of the lower channels (UK Gold etc) are not too clever but do you really buy a set like the Pio and watch crappy old repeats. It is very good with Sky movies but if you stand right in front of it like you do in a TV shop then of course the Picture doesn't look perfect like it does in Hi-Def but you ain't gonna sit two feet from it in your living room now are you? How far away do you intend to sit from your set? I am sitting aprox 15ft from mine and it looks perfect on Sky :D

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At 15 feet you could have bought a Tiny and be happy with it.

12. Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The distance will be about 12 feet, it would be hanging on the opposite wall to me..

Oh man I'm so confused..... :rolleyes:

13. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Honestly Dave, 5 years ago the pioneer plasmas where superb, but they have no been not only caught up, but well and truly overtaken. And they are still asking a premium for them.

If you are using Sky that is your tuner sorted, do you have a system for audio too?

If yes get a look at one of the new NEC units. 42 XR3 is the silver version and the XM3 is the black version.
    The LG at around £1450 gives a better picture imho than the Pioneer for Tv viewing.

if you were just going to be using this with a good dvd player and a decent scaler than advice would be different, but you have said that you will be using it for a lot of TV viewing and there are better displays out there for that job.

15. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Dave,
    if your heart is set on a Pio then go and audition one at your nearest dealers (no I don't mean Comet). After all, it is all subjective. If you were purchasing a Hi Fi then you would audition at a decent Hi Fi dealers so why not do the same for your Plasma, it is costing a lot of money after all. This Forum is great for owner's of Plasma's but you shouldn't let other people pick your purchase for you. do you want to buy a Plasma that YOU are very happy with or a plasma that you have heard is very good. There are a lot of Panny owners on here so I guess if you listen to the forum you will be buying one of them, make you own mind up with your eyes and not your ears. sorry panny owners not saying pannys are not good just that pio's are better :laugh: but then I am biased

16. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I think it's time for a quick reality check here.

To say that 'everyone' says Sky picture quality is crap is wrong. There are many happy owners of the Pio XDE's that say otherwise, including myself.

If you've seen it in a shop and it looks 'crap' and you're not impressed, then don't buy it. What are you going to do, trust an anonymous someone on a forum telling you you're wrong. It's your money and your viewing taste that needs to be satisfied, no-one elses.

At the end of the day, many Sky Digital channels can be of a poor quality, but it's the Video source, not necessarily the TV that's at fault. FWIW the high bitrate channels look very good, but even they can also be let down by poor source material (often US programming).

Feed it a high quality signal (DVD, via component or HDMI, or high-quality bitrate Sky Channel) and you get a high quality picture. Feed it a low resolution soft picture and you get a low resolution soft picture magnified on the larger screen with all it's faults evident.

A plasma TV is a very expensive luxury, but the expense is not in turning a crap video signal into a good video signal, it's in reproducing a video signal in the best possible quality upon a large canvass.

You can buy a 36" CRT for £1,000 and have a good Sky Picture. Spending £3,000 on a 42" plasma does not get you 3x the picture quality. Plasma is a different display technology that produces a different kind of picture. Plasma has it's own set of problems, as do CRT and RP technologies. Even the plasma technology between manufacturers differs, hence the acknowledged strengths and weaknesses, but overall quality and reliability that differentiate Panasonic from Pioneer at the top-end. Then there's the lottery that is the lower -end of the plasma market, reflected in their prices.

There is no magic wand here, because there's no benchmark on what constitutes a good or acceptable picture, other than your own eyes, and if it doesn't meet your standard, you need to wait for the technology to improve, or wait for HD TV. If, however, you want good advice, there are lots of threads on the Pio XDE's where perceived strengths and weaknesses are discussed, from which you can attempt to make up your own minds.

17. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest MAW, what plasma do you have? I'm really intrigued! Thanks.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Yeah Dave, I take it you are going to go somewhere where you can actually view these displays next to each other??

19. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    He doesn't need to view them next to each other, just make his mind up on the Pio and to do that he needs to audition it on it's own. after all he said his heart was set on it

20. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well said my son

21. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I just ordered a 505 & am not too bothered by what it looks like on Sky.The majority of the time,its a low rent feed anyhow...I decided upon this set with an eye to the forseeable future (Sky HD/Blu-Ray/HD DVD) this is when the Pio`s will really come into their own, but untill then i am sure i can live with it! ;) :cool:

Dan :)

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Of course he should view it against other displays, or the first time you see something that looks better you will be gutted.
    The whole point of demoing gear is to see what is available and to try and work out what is best for you within your budget.

I thought the pioneer was for me and went down to AV-Sales to demo the Pioneer, and because the Panasonic was in the same room I ended up buying that, if it hadn't have been I would now be using the Pioneer not knowing there is something out that that I prefer the look of.

I was really hoping the 435 was going to be better than my panel, as it is, as I said above, the perfect panel for me. However it isn't.

So did you buy your Pioneer without seeing what else was out there and if you may have prefered something else?
    What about other stuff like amps and speakers? the only thing I have ever done that with was when I sold my meridian gear and bought the Lexicon MC8 and Arcam DV89 without listening to them, an expensive mistake, but I knew it was a gamble and I was happy with that.

If he has the chance to see some of these screens together then why not?

I am about to have a go with an NEC XM3, if I don't like it I will sell it, it is a gamble again, but I know that, and it is a gamble I am prepared to take, but Dave said he would like to keep the TV for 10 years.
    I have not kept any display device for more than 18 months, but I get the impression that if Dave is not happy with the Pioneer he would be gutted, he wouldn't shrug his shoulders and say "oh well, sell it on, loose a grand and start again"

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626

BINGO!

That is the whole point of this thread, you have bought it for where the screen excels, however Dave is saying that most of his viewing is sky, and for that there are other screens that he may want to audition as they tend to do that job better.

Thanks Dan ;)

24. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Guy,
    have you demoed the XDE thru HDMI? I have seen it a couple of times just recently (once with a Meridian G91 & once with an 868) both times the pq was fabulous. Btw, i hold my hands up about Sky viewing,if thats what he wants it for then i am sure its possible he can do better.

25. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    gizlaroc
    All I meant was that if Dave likes the Pio and has his doubts about PQ on Sky then he should go and see it in optimum conditions (AV Dealer). If he doesn't like what he sees then he can strike the Pio off his list.
    It's true to say when you go to a Hi Fi dealers with a system in mind they would'nt be doing their job if they didn't play devil's advocate and bring out some alternatives for you to audition after you have seen your first chioce.
    If dave still doesn't like the pio maybe the dealer will show him an alternative that he will love.

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Dan,

no mate, I would think it rocks when fed a really good signal.
    What are you going to use as a source on yours? I may have to come and see yours when you get it and set up :)

27. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I am in a bit of a quandry at the minute,i dont really want to splash out a mint on a new DVD but at the same time,once i get it i have got to have HDMI! As you can see i have a 747 but may have to chop it in for somthing like the Sammy 945 (just as a stop gap before Blu-Ray or whatever) possibly a 668/868 if i can find one cheap/second hand. You are more than welcome to come round mate: i should have it on the wall within the next week,I will keep you posted!

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I would probably stick with the 747 and go for an HD-DVD player in the autumn from the states.
    The 747 has a really nice component output, I don't think a basic DVI player would be much of an improvement, if any.

29. Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all of the replys guys

Theres some good advice in there, from both camps..

I have tried desperately to have a good demo, there is a place in the Boro who are the most unhelpful bunch of tw*ts I've had the misfortune to deal with, asking if they could play a CD on PW7 was met with a look of disgust, then after he put it on (A Panny demo disk showing a pretty bird in a tree... In stretchy vision for gawd sake.. so everything was squashed and fat) I asked him to show it in its correct ratio and he told me (in a foreign accent that I had great difficulty understanding) that that is how it is...

I then had the audacity to ask if he had something else that I could see, a blockbuster movie or something and he actually sighed as he walked off looking for another disk....

I eventually walked out in disgust and wouldn't buy from there if they were the only AV shop in the world..

I work in York and I'm arranging a demo of the Pio here but its the 'only' plasma that that this guys sells, and therefore I'm not going to be able to compare..

The only other places I've seen Pio's and Panny's together are the big electrical retailers where they are connected using the lowest quality of cables, with shared signals, and they don't do demos.

I'd love to be able to go and spend half a day in a place that sounds as well stocked and organised as the likes of AV Sales but Teesside doesn't appear to be offering me many choices..

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Theroux, i run a PHD7 myself, but of course I am in th position of not worying about future proofing too much, I will always have 'this years best'. I have an iscan HD, the screen is fed 720p on analogue, cos I'm too lazy to change all the settings when I turn my 1280/720 projector on, this way I have a macro on my iPronto to switch to digital output, lower the screen etc. With an eye to the future I'm currrently working on an NEC XM3, when I daresay I will have to buy a Gefen DVI splitter.... and a DVI DVD player. At this point I guess I could run the Pioneer if I particularly liked Piano black, but an XDE and a digital scaler and that stupid media box in my AV cupboard, that's a heap of cash compared to the NEC for some cosmetics. I must put my setup in the 'Get yer plasmas out' thread sometime. Gizlaroc might recall a previous conversation, It's turned out very well thanks, mate!
    PS your signature creases my wife up completely! Maybe cos she doesn't have to worry, I don't own any of it!