1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP434HDE Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StumpyBloke, Dec 1, 2003.

1. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've just posted this question to Pioneers support forum and am waiting for a response. I thought I'd see what you guys make of it as well...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have had my Pioneer PDP434HDE for 5 weeks (2 of which is hasnt been used). It has now got what I can only assume is signs of screen burn from a home shopping digital channel. You can make out signs of this as it is darker than the surrounding (background) colours. I have observed every precaution in your documentation as well as on the internet, so how can this happen? It is meant to take days of continual use with the same static image for this to happen isnt it? The screen has NOT been left on for hours on end on the same channel. I have also kept power save on and the contrast low. I would appreciate any advise, help, etc. Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a good search through the forums and really dont understand why this has happened.

I'm not a happy chappie!! :(

I've just tried the 10 minutes of a white bitmap using the home gallery and this hasnt (or at least doesnt appear) to have done anything - unless I'm expecting too much.

Any advise appreciated.

TIA

Rich :hiya:

2. Graham Sims

Graham Sims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you had any luck yet, on saturday I was greeted by the time and the interactive button burnt into my screen when I got up, the time had 8.28 on it, I got up and it was 10.30.
    So it was still there two hours later.
    I just put a normal picture on the tv for about 30 minutes with lots of movement, and it went away.
    I was worried though, she said she only had it on for about 20-30 minutes.

What channel was you watching, my wife watchs alot of qvc, but I zoom the screen to cut the qvc icon of at the top.

Cheers,

Graham

3. Graham Sims

Graham Sims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I should have said my wife was watching breakfast tv on bbc in the morning.

4. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    has it gone or is it permanent

5. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Graham - it would seem to be Ideal World that was on for a couple of hours. You can make out (just) the telephone number at the bottom and the quick number on the left. I first noticed it on Sunday evening and its still there now - just cant tell if its the same or any better.

paulefox - yes it is still there :(

Cheers

Rich :hiya: :(

6. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i have to admit this worries the hell out of me !!!
    every evening when i switch mine on i can still see the time from the programme the wife was watching in the morning:rolleyes:
    lucky enough it fades away after a while ,is this the same for all plasmas or does the new pioneer have an extra sensitve screen??

jason

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yes it is the same thou panasonic plasmas seem to suffer less.

u absolutly must be careful. the same can happen with long spells of xbox ps2.
    as soon as u notice any kind of persistant image get a fast moving pic on. it does help but not sure of the science.

plasma is not great for sky and i have a m8 whose screen is burned fron the skysports logo. u see it while watching dvd.

one has to educate the family that this aint like the CRT tv. any bright persistant white is peril for plasma.

8. Briefcase

Briefcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any cure for screenburn or does it mean that once you have it, you're £5k screen is forever going to display a horrible Murdoch sign or whatever?? Is there any equivalent of Degaussing for magnetically damaged CRTs?

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no. once burnt its burnt. u would need to get glass replaced but i dont think they would do it as its user era.

if its real bad new plasma is only cure, unless maybe house insurance wangle

10. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have been so tempted to buy one , but reading all this i ahve changed my mind , it seems to only be a matter of time before everyone will burn theirs in one way or another.
    i will stick with a 36 normal TV for the time being till they sort this out.
    Saved me £4000 already !

11. The Allmighty

The Allmighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that I'm surprised by this as although I don't currently own a plasma (still debating which one to get), I have looked at loads in various shops. Whilst the quality of feeds to them has been uniformly bad, I've not seen screen burn on any yet and they're on all day every day with precious little variation in the images (usually that red and white currys logo etc).

I would be concerned about the sky sports logo as I watch a lot of football.

12. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have got screen burn froma 2 hour static image then you need to call out pioneer. No product should be effected in such a short space of time. Remember that this product is sold as a TV and not a commercial display if it can't handle a static image for two hours then i doudt its suitable for the task.

I Have had plasmas for over five years and in the domestic enviornment have never had perminant screen burn. You will somtimes get image ghosting which is usually removed buy dislaying a cycling coulor field (Use pc).

One tip is that plasma's do seem to be more suceptable to screen probs in their first 100 hours or so. After this "Run in" period they seem a lot less problematic.

Phil

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i woudnt let this put u off as not many people actually ever get the problem. i never did but i was aware of the limitations.

ghosting is a differnt story as the 503 sufferd from this alot, so much that i stop using the xbox with it.

Also have u tried with the supplied cloth wiping the affected area

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    persistent image is something I've noticed a lot on Pio plasma, I used to have a 503MXE opposite my desk at work, and as has been commented on here, it was a shop that had the hits on 24/7! The worst case we had was when we left (not me I hasten to add, just the boss) AOTC menu on it all W/E and thought we'd cooked it on Monday! But it went away in about 2 weeks, with a special screensaver bunged on it from my PC. But we never got a hits logo on it, and beleive me it wasn't for want of trying, was always glad to get out, girls aloud drove me mad. So, if you've got this after 2 hours something is wrong, they are far more robust than most people think, and for all slightly careful people, screen burn, where the damage is permanent, is not an issue with Pioneer or Panasonic. I've seen 2 hitachis and a Fuji alis panel badly affected, but not even seen persistent image ona panasonic. Wonder why?

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    probaly coz the panasonics arent so bright so the phosphores dont get so hot

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Maybe, and therefore the PMA 400 which glows like the surface of the sun fries itself more easily.

17. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you guys think the "burn" might disappear soon enough? I've tried the completely white jpg through Home Gallery but nothing else (except fast moving images). What kind of screensaver could I put through my pc to help the situation?

Thanks again for all the replies/help.

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    its possible play fast moving images and keep the missus away from that channel for a bit

19. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi StumpyBloke, i'm just curious, what brightness and contrast settings do you use? Do you use the power save mode?

It would be interestign to see if you have al lsettings up high or low since i think that it can help to have power save and keep the contrast and brightness down for normal viewing.
    I keep it low except for watchnign dvd:s when you really want to have an accurate picture...

I play xbox alot and i do get ghosting images after playing, but i just display som normal fullscreen tv picture for a while and it dissapears. This is after playing the same game for a few hours with the same static place for e.g. gauges etc.
    I do keep the contrast and brightness turned down (without ruining the picture ofcourse), not to bright but ok so to speak..

another easy way to solve the logos problem (already mentioned) is to zoom the picture or if it's enough use the Cinema setting to get the logos - off screen, can be worth it..

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I used the windows picture gallery saver, with every other slide whit, on about a 5 second rotation and all the transition effects. I can't say if it was better than simply sticking BBC1 on, but the problem was removed, so all was well. It did take about 2 weeks, so be patient. If it's still there after that time, no matter what you try, then it's likely to remain there.

21. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

Wiped - my contrast is 22 and brightness 20. I also used the powersave mode for the first 100 or so hours.

Cheers

22. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's a nightmare Stumpy - I hope you get it sorted mate.

Reading some of these posts, you've got to ask yourself whether it's worth having a plasma if you need to cock around zooming pictures, playing screensavers, not watching certain programs etc etc. I though these were TVs. Aren't you supposed to fall asleep in front of them.

23. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    only if you dont have a life lol.

normaly you fall alseep because of all the crap that is on these days.

i got rid of sky and me tv license and just watch dvd.

no more drain on resources and suddenly ive got all the time in the world. NO more a slave to the system

24. RUNRIG

RUNRIG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reading some of these posts, you've got to ask yourself whether it's worth having a plasma if you need to cock around zooming pictures, playing screensavers, not watching certain programs etc etc. I though these were TVs. Aren't you supposed to fall asleep in front of them. [/B][/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>My thoughts entirely - my first post here but I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and everytime I make my mind up to go for one plasma or other... up comes someone with an unacceptable problem for a £4k+ bit of kit that's just a TV replacement ( in my case ). More confused than ever now.

Recently settled on the P+ Philips 42PF9965 based on what I have seen ( a 37"er ) and on what has been said here, though it seems that this forum is basically Panny 6 vs Pio 434/504?

PS: the Alis/Prog/interlaced thing goes right over my head I have never seen any flicker on any 100HZ TV and that is not a problem for me - I just want a plasma that I can put on for a few hours a day and not worry about intrusive fan/power suppy buzz or potential screen burn/ghosting If I happen to let a Channel logo sit in the screen corner for too long.

Does the 434 still take circa 2 secs to change inputs/channels ? - if yes then it's no TV channel hopping option. Also blacks are noticeably grey next to the black border on it and annoying.
    The Panny PW6/20 are too low res for my liking ( notice the pixel structure to much ). The HD version is hard to get and doesn't come with a media box.
    Hitachi pd3000 - noisey fans? - good value though.

I know you have to make a compromise and none are perfect - just pick one that's got the least annoying traits.

Only thing I've decided on is to by from the local ( Solihull ) JL - match with countrywide prices and a 5yr warranty thrown in.

Any further thoughts on the 9965 ? - best price I've seen is arround £3.6k

Will continue ruminating ( OOer )
    RUNRIG

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    9965, £3.6k is way over the top for it, if you must have a thing like that try the Hitachi. You can get that for 3k, but of course they don't do a 37" For that size only panasonic compete. And by the way, threads like this are very unusual, screen burn is a non-issue for most people. If it burns the screen you've probably fried your brain too is a rule to follow.

26. RUNRIG

RUNRIG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I'm after the 42"er.

RUNRIG

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry to you, didn't read it properly, just saw the bit about 37". The 42" has lots of competition, I put one in last week, I wouldn't in my own home, nowhere near the Hitachi, and I'm not a big fan of theirs either.

28. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    is there any improvement

29. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure its not as bad as it was - going to have a proper look later.

Cheers

30. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi stumpy why is youre brightness so high ???if you look at what other people have they are quite similar but yours seems extreme