1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP434HDE - Frame Reflections?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by KBDVD, Nov 7, 2003.

1. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,

A quick question for you early adopters:

Does the Gloss Black Frame around the new 434 & 504 models create any reflection problems when used in a normal daytime room environment with daylight coming through the windows?

The reason that I ask is that I saw a 434 in a high street store today and thought I would love the black surround, but as hard as I tried to ignore it, I just couldn't get passed the amount of distracting reflections that the frame was bouncing back at me!

Also, and this may have just been my imagination, but the actual surface of the glass screen seemed to have a higher reflective finish than the Panny screens that I'm accustomed to.

Maybe the guy's in the shop had just had the Mr Sheen out! :rolleyes:

I had been very taken with the look of the new Pioneer's on paper, but based on this viewing, I'd have to say that this issue alone may rule out these screens for me.

So guy's, what are they like to live with? :confused:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

2. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I noticed was the difference in black between the bezel - 100% black and the screen which looked around 70% black. It really showed off the difference in contrast between the panny and pio when viewed side by side. The panny screen black was almost spot on with the bezel. Where-as if I'd seen the pio on its own with a silver bezel I'm sured I wouldn't have noticed as much difference.

3. The Allmighty

The Allmighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree: when I saw the pioneer I thought the solid black surround made the black bars on widescreen pictures look very grey. Even my mate with me who has no interest in these things saw it (and pointed it out to me in case I hadn't noticed).

Tried adjusting the display contrast/brightness but didn't seem to make much difference. As regards the glare, the pio was next to a hitachi and a sony and they didn't reflect as much light IMHO.

Don't think I could cope with it myself but to each their own.

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Another tick on the 'agree' list from me, saw the screen in detail at the show in Manchester. The piano black does frame the screen no doubt about it, but I think it does too good a job. As it is I ended up with the Silver framed PW6 and when watched at "Film watching" lighting levels the frame seams to disapear into the wall of my room. This is of coarse with having the wall painted some 'Hessian colour' (Beige to us blokes)!!! Should your screen be placed on say a dark maroon wall then the opposite I imagine would happen.