Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer PDP434 HDE phenomenon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by magicstar, Mar 7, 2005.

1. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I was very impressed with DLP but also very affected by the dreaded rainbows - so a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and found a demo PIO 434 straggler in our local CO-OP at the right price. I managed to get a surprisingly good picture from cable/sky/freeview and was feeling generally pleased with my purchase - then last weekend, while watching "Another 24 hours", I became aware of annoying DLP like colour flashes on contrasty scenes, if there was fast movement, or if I quickly moved my eyes from one side of the screen to the other. I then began to notice it on other material from various sources and, in in order to find out if it was just me, I switched to a blank input and set the aspect ratio to 14:9 to give me a contrasting static image with the grey side bars. Shifting my eyes from one side of the screen to the other produced vivid blue and yellow flashes, my wife could see them and so could a bunch of friends, so I deduced that it wasn't just my eyesight that was at fault - although I obviously couldn't say whether the others were affected as much as me. The problem does not seem as severe in daylight, but in the evening is probably worse for me than any DLP that I've viewed. On Saturday I was on my way to report the problem to the store, but I thought I would check out a 435 in Comet on the way, to see it it exhibited anything like the same fault. There was evidence of the phenomenon, but only slight and the salesman reckoned that some colour shift should be expected with a plasma panel, so I thought I'd wait and get some opinions from the technical squad on the forum before proceeding with my complaint.
    I even managed to photograph the problem by moving the camera quickly from side to side and it can clearly be seen - the Pioneer badge and speaker holes are in sharp focus, but the colour shift is quite clear. So, is this a general plasma problem, a Pioneer problem or a calibration fault which, hopefully, can be rectified - - -

I've tried to attach the pic, but it might not have worked - so if it doesn't appear, I'll try again later
    Any light you can shed (all colours at the same time please) would be most appreciated

Cheers

Garry

Attached Files:

2. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you try taking that picture again, but move the camera up + down instead of L + R, the blur will extend into the black surround... and I think the "flashes" you see are perceptual rather than actually being there - the panel is updating at 50 or 60Hz, which means it flickers... try the same test on your PC, or on a CRT and you will see the same effect. It doesn't mean it's actually there... IIRC, the FDE in Comet could have been running at 75 or 100Hz which would have significantly reduced the effect.

3. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing happens when moving the camera up and down - nor does it affect my eyes if I move up and down. The effect is much more severe, in reality, than the camera shows - just moving the eyes from one side to the other produces colour bars at least an inch wide and a swift turn of the head make a nice 3 or 4 inch stripe appear in the middle of the screen. I know this test is an exaggerated one, but on some material it is quite disconcerting and ruins the viewing experience for me. With regard to other display types - I have 3 CRT monitors in my studio, a 24" widescreen CRT in the bedroom, a 14" portable in the kitchen, a 15" tft laptop and a 47" rear pro panasonic standing around waiting to be sold - and I have never experienced anything similar before - in fact I would have to say that it's worse than any DLP I've viewed in the big stores. I know why DLP sets exhibit their anomalies - the spinning colour wheel produces sequential colour palettes, where the RG&B components arrive on the screen at different times, albeit microseconds apart, so I can see how a viewer with fast eyes could separate the components in certain situations - but I wasn't aware that plasma panels had any such shortcomings. However, if the electronics concerned can create such a situation, then I hope it would be regarded as a fault - hopefully one that can be fixed. Any ideas anyone?

Garry

4. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long discussion - but still no technical explanation, so not sure whether I have grounds for returning the set as faulty?? So any ideas from the veterans - Gordon, Piers, Horny, MAW - any 434/435 owners try the test - put the grey bars on a blank input screen and flick eyes rapidly from left to right (preferably in the evening with subdued lighting) - any blue and yellow stripes?

Cheers

Garry