1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP434 and Sony Video

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StumpyBloke, Oct 30, 2003.

1. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, newbie here, so please go gentle on me!! :D

I've just received my Pioneer PDP434HDE plasma tv. It's a great bit of kit but I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it normal for the unit to have a buzzing coming from the top (which varies depending on the picture)?

2) I have 2 year old Sony video connected in to Scart 1 (but I've also tried Scart 2 to aleviate the problem - didnt work). When I am watching a video and cue it either forward or reverse I lose the picture. If I keep it cueing (sp) for long enough I will eventually (after about 5-10 seconds) see the fast moving picture but then the screen goes again. It is as though the TV is switching scarts or something. When I stop the video from cueing the picture comes back. This is really frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys n' galls.

Rich
    :hiya:

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yes they do buzz(not real loud and more of a hum) and yes i used to loose the pic with my 503 hde.
    not sure why but it did happen so dont panic (only with vcr mind)

i think its because it looses the signal for a few m/seconds but takes a few seconds to reestablish it.

3. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, cheers for the reply :smashin:

4. hawkinm

hawkinm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stumpy

This is my first plasma and I'm totally thrilled with it. I have it connected up to a Sony DVP930 on input 3 (though only on scart pending arrival of a THOR component cable) and also get this drop out of signal - where the screen goes blank then it comes back with the pic like I've just switched input.

It happens a few times thoughout each DVD, and seems to be at peak points in the film, so I wonder if it has anything to do with high bit-rate....? I haven't tried forward cueing yet - but will give it a go when my boy finishes watching Tarzan!

I did have a problem with the RGB picture from my Netgem freeview I-player, but upgrading the scart seemed to fix this - so once the component cable arrives I hope this will be resolved.

Ultimately the aim is to get a Pio 868 DVD (anyone know the release date?) - and use HDMI, as this should give the best results.

Let me know how/if you managed to get round the picture drop out, or if anyone else is suffering the same thing I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks
    Mark

Ps; good fun to be had with the home gallery, memory stick and an PCMCIA adaptor

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No no, this should not happen with dvd especially during a film.

It only happens with VCR.

if its happening with dvd then something is wrong!!

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi SB

I had the Pio 503 from the official day it was released, approx 2 years, and it never buzzed until it packed in once. The buzzing gets louder the more whites are on-screen (screen tranny drawing more current to light the screen) Does this sound like whats happening to you?

Not sure what to say about the video thing but that never happened to me at all. I can't see why this should happen at all really. Pioneer have a few questions to answer i think!?!
    The new screen looks very good but Im going for an LCD now and PJ. They all have there problems I guess but just don't fancy living in fear of it breaking down again.

I trust you have an extended warrenty, I have advised anyone who's buying plasma to get one without fail. If I hadn't had a warrenty I was quoted nearly £3k for a repair, so really a write off.

Good luck with it all. If you need more tecnical help call Gooch at Pioneer (one of the designers) on 01753789819. He's based in slough and is always willing to help.

S.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    my 503 had a very slight hum not a loud buzz. you could only hear it if u put your ear behind the screen.

Any more than this may warrant a call to pioneer for there opinion.

HAWKY

try a different dvd player. if u still get the problem get the screen checked or replaced.