Pioneer PDP433HDE + Bose 3-2-1 system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Amradicool, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any good?
    Whats it worth?
    Can you get better for cheaper?

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheaper than what ?

Perhaps you should read this before buying any BOSE products.

:nono: :nono:

3. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The package for £4900 inc speaker stands and installation.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO if £5000 was my budget- I'll look at something with sound quality as well, not blow all on the display and then buy a bad sounding & cheap system (ie Bose, Sony DAV etc)

Have you read that link given by narabdela

5. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer is a great screen !!

The Bose isn't a great audio system !!

RickB

6. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what would you recommend?

7. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amradicool,

Your screen is a great choice - I dont think anyone here will argue with it (I know I wont).

As for the audio system - it entirely depends on what your requirements are - if space is an issue then that kind of means your limited to a satellie/sub combination - you could do far worse than Kef's eggs. If you have the space and the inclination then go for a full size speaker setup.

What kind of budget are you looking at ?

RickB

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    Amradicalcool

01. Is it any good:
    The Pioneer PDP-433HDE is a 'good' Plasma TV the NEW PDP-434HDE is a much better PlasmaTV for just over £4K.

The BOSE 3-2-1 is a bed side radio with some fancy processing and a lot of marketing to convince you that you can get something for nothing!

02. What's it worth:
    Not £5K

03. Can you get better for cheaper:
    Oh yes... lots of options.

I'd look at a Pioneer PDP-434HDE plus the Pioneer NS-DV990 if you want a good quality Lifestyle system that looks, sounds and performs well and is near £5K.

Best regards

Joe

9. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    the budget is around £5000, basically my father has been critically ill and insurance has given us some money. During his recovery period (about 12 weeks) there is nothing he would like more than a good TV system. I know very little about high-end stuff, until a week ago we were looking at a simple widescreen. The main thing is we get it soon.

So the Pioneer 433-HDE at £3900 is not what we should be getting?
    What about the surround system, we are looking for a satellite style compact system.

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

I would go for Joe's suggestion of the 434HDE - out in a couple of weeks. The NS-DV990 is a smart-looking sub/sat system which would be a good match for the plasma. I hope your father makes a speedy recovery.

Steve

11. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    As your father is after something NOW due to illness, if you don't fancy waiting a couple of weeks, you could either get the older pioneer you've mentioned, or a Panny. Depends what you like in you plasma - ignoring the latest models from Pio & Panny, IMO the current Pioneers offer better details than the Panny's, but not as good black levels. For me the detail of both is plenty good enough, but I don't like poor black levels (which all plasma manufacturers have to battle with) so I'd choose one of the Panny's.

Do you want your plasma to be TV or a display?
    TVs will come with a tuner that makes there operation more simillar to normal TVs, and they'll have there own speakers, so you don't need to swith on a seperate amp to use them. But a display will be cheaper for the equivellant screen, and is a good option if you are using a digital box (sky or cable).

As for speakers - I'd recommend looking at Gallos. Look nice (quite small), sound good.
    Have a look under Amps and DVD players for the rest of the kit.

Hope that may help

12. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 330 DVD player, would this be good enough for the Plasma tv?
    I was thinking to get just the TV, and keep it in the bedroom for my dad for now, then in a few months move it downstairs and get surround sound etc and hook it up to sky.
    Does the 433 come with speakers on the TV? How about the 434?

Would the Plasma TV + a Tosh 330 DVD player be good, or does it really not do anything any justice?

13. scott147

scott147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 system which I bought 2 months ago. Have I made a mistake?

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you pay more than £500 for it?

IMO that's how much I'll pay for a complete Bose system- and yes I have heard them going. Kef Eggs & Ruark Vita's (and other decent satellite speakers) sound so much better

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    scott147 - not if your enjoying it! the Lifestyle28 is way better than the 3-2-1; for a kick off its actually got the required number of loudspeakers :)

Amradicool - planning on turning your old man into a TV aholic then!

Both the PDP-433HDE and the NEW PDP-434HDE have optional loudspeakers - the 434HDE has the added advantage of a sub out so if you want/need a bit of extra bass and don't want a full 5:1 system you can beef up the stereo speakers you get for the TV.

Both the 433 and 434HDE have Pioneer's SRS sound - which basically tries to give you a wider sound stage (a bit like what the BOSE 3-2-1 is trying to do).

I cant see why you cant use your Toshiba 330 DVD player with either of the HDE Plasma TV's - though I note you mention only getting SKY hooked up once you move the TV down stairs; if possible I'd go for SKY or a FreeView box in preference to an analogue TV signal in the bedroom if you can manage it.

Best regards

Joe