1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP433hd

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 44pba, Nov 24, 2003.

1. 44pba

44pba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

1st post for a newbie so please excuse mistakes. I have been told that it is possible to turn on PAL progressive functionality in the above PDP (normally only does NTSC, which works well by the way). Does anyone know how?

Also I have a Pioneer 757Ai dvd (multiregion) which supports NTSC but not PAL progressive. Pioneer say that an upgrade is available to include PAL progressive at £80. Does anyone know anything about this upgrade? what will it do to the multiregion mod?

Thanks in advance for any help. Any pointers would be appreciated

44PBA:hiya:

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most multi region mods release the progressive scan PAL mode on that model. and I'm pretty sure you'll find the PDP433 is PAL and NTSC progressive scan!

3. 44pba

44pba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, I need to get at the progressive scan mode in the plasma to see if the dvd progressive works. Any ideas?

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    44pba,

The Pioneer 433HDE and 503HDE models are not compatible with PAL PS. I've not heard of any kind of "mod" to enable it.

Steve

5. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dutch,
    just read your post above. Does the MXE model do pal progressive scan? All my kit is in storage at the moment and I've just bought a Denon DVD 2800mk2 with PAL and NTSC progressive scan on the understanding it will play both.:blush: :eek:

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Arty,

Don't worry, your MXE is PAL and NTSC PS compatible. Your Denon should be very happy with it! ;)

Steve

7. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wehey, just what I wanted to hear, thanks for the confirmation, as you have probably guessed I am new to this level of A.V gear, its always good to get other peoples views. Hopefully I should be in a position to help other people as you have shortly.
    Thanks again Steve!:smashin:
    Arty.

8. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Pioneer PDP433HDE will accept a PAL prograssive scan through the 15 pin VGA PC input on the front of the media box. However, you can only display a 4:3 image, or a stretched image with incorrect geometry.
    I tried the Iscan Pro into this input and hey presto it works (sort of).
    Maybe someone else has had better results.

9. bocciaroccia

bocciaroccia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The back connectors are for ntsc use and don't accept 50hz signals. But they work 100% if you use a video processor such as Lumagen Vision and set it at 60hz vrate. PS works also through the frontal pc connector at any vrates equal or above 50hz without any geometry or 4:3 problems but you need a scaler for this purpose. The Lumagen can do scaling and video deinterlacing.

Regards

Andrea

10. 44pba

44pba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all
    I am now getting confused (easily done). Being a newbie at sophisticated AV I have no idea what a Lumagen etc. is.

My system:-
    Pio 433HDP, Yamaha A1, Pio 757Ai, Pana VCR, Pace Sky+ box. Speakers etc not relevant.

Most of my DVDs are R1 (bought as Prog Scan not available until recently on PAL)

What I want to do is:-
    1) get NTSC and PAL PS out of the 757Ai
    2) Watch it on the Plasma
    3) Now a Lumagen? has been mentioned perhaps improve quality to 1080i or p? from all video sources (inc VCR and Sky+ box)

If I install a Lumagen how will it handle these different video sources? There don't seem to be many inputs on the back, how do I plug everything in?

Sorry for the multiple questions, just trying to understand.

Thanks
    44pba:rolleyes:

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    44pba,

Yes, the standard Lumagen Vision is a bit limited with it's inputs - that's why I went for the VisionPro which has 8, or 9 with SDI. I can output a 1080p/60Hz or 1080p/50Hz signal into the RGBHV input on my MXE with excellent results. I think the Vision would be suitable though, with your VCR into composite, Sky+ into S-video, and the 757 into the component. Hope this helps.

Steve