1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer pdp433 hde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sezzi, Jan 20, 2003.

1. sezzi

sezzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to go for the Pioneer 433HDE plasma
    it remains to be seen if ill regret not going for the mxe
    however the ease of use with the tuner box swayed it for us in the end maybee a sacrafice in quality but hopefully not to much to notice !!!

What do you think am i mad ?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Welcome to the club Sezzi :p

I've had mine for about a month now and am generally very pleased with it.

DVD playback is outstanding, well ocmpared to my old Sony 28" WS.

I find that poor quality Sky signals can be annoying to watch as you can see all the artifacts and image blocking/breakup but this may well be the same for any plasma as it can bee seen on my old TV also.

Anyway, let u know how you find it.

Cheers, Lee

3. sezzi

sezzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm replacing a Philips 29" matchline 4:3 i must say ive had it for 7 years and apart from a new remote control feel ive had good moneys worth 10 times over ect...

So only time will tell roll on friday "D" day

4. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had this same problem until a sky engineer came and realigned my dish and after some tweaking with the sharpness controls the picture is now excellent.

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmm, interesting.

It only seems to effect certain programs though. I find it's much worse on live programs such as So Graham Norton, and I also find footbal annoying due to the pitch looking blocky on wide shots.

But saying that, I was watching Armagedon - I think that's the correct spelling - on Saturday night and it was fine. Also, any film shown on Premier WS is excellent also.

Might be worth giving them a call though.

Cheers, Lee

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sezzi,

In the opinion of another HDE owner you have done well!
    The "flexibility" of the HDE remains a huge advantage over the MXE and its PAL progressive offering. Checking with at least two engineers from Pioneer using a top notch DVD player and having the screen set up and calibrated accurately makes it hard to see any difference.

Regarding Sky and Freeview terrestrial it very much depends on the bandwidth a specific channel is using although fine tuning does help. Remember that a large plasma screen will highlight any poor quality picture source problems loud and clear!

7. sezzi

sezzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have recently prrchased a pioneer 757ai and vsx-2010amp
    to go with kef 2005 eggs

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am pretty much decided on a Pioneer 433HDE as everything I've read about it is glowing, I just have a few questions that I've been unable to find else where.

Firstly what is meant in the above post about sacrificing quality for ease of use when comparing the HDE and the MXE? I thought that they where identical product except the MXE was more of a comercial product and so lacked an external tuner box, I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me and explain the improvements the MXE has if any?

Secondly how do you rate the 433's 100hz progressive scan when watching normal analog programs and ntl digital programs, particulary fast moving images such as football? Also does anyone have any info on pioneers PureCinema technology, what does it do and why does it say it only works on NTSC signals, thats not exactly overly useful on a UK display??

I have a Denon DVD2800MKII with PAL PROG, Denon 2802 Receiver, KEF 2005 Sub/Sat and Panny TX32PH40 PAL PROG CRT TV at the moment.

9. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From what i've read on these forums the MXE does have a better picture quality than the HDE, but i've yet to see someone explain how.

Not sure the 100Hz Progressive scan works on analogue tv or NTL, but I can tell you that viewing sky tv the picture is excellent when the picture settings have been adjusted correctly.

The pure cinema does only work with NTSC, i'm not sure what it does but I can tell you that imho the picture from both PAL and NTSC discs is outstanding

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Come on, someone out there must know some more details about the specifics of how PureCinema works and why not with PAL, the actual differences between a HDE and a MXE and how and when the 100hz prog scan would work?

I'm pulling at the leash to get me a big ol' Plasma and I'd feel a whole lot better about making the purchase if I had all the details.

Thanks

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I found this on the NET about PureCinema. It kind of makes sense and then it kinda dosen't. Anywhere here's what it said:

Hope that makes sense to someone out there...

Cheers, Lee

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    rscott4563

Think of your intended system in terms of Source > Video Processor > Display device.

With the Pioneer HDE PlasmaTV models the Video Processing is undertaken within the Media Box - this has SCART inputs, Teletext board, Picture in Picture etc and the ability to resolve 256 step grey scale and 16.7 million colours.

In the MXE Plasma Display models the video processing is undertaken on a plug in card (Pioneer PDA-5002) which resolves 832 step grey scale and 576 million colours.

There are also third party plug in cards now available for the MXE displays - these offer even higher quality video processing but at a much higher cost than Pioneers own card.

Both the HDE and the MXE models use the same glass panel (with differing bezel surrounds) but as you can see the MXE fitted with a video card has the ability to produce a better video image.

The MXE also has a range of user defined screen saver modes not available on the HDE models - with the HDE if you see any 'after' image when you've finished watching for an extended period with any static on-screen elements you have to put on a full frame full moving image for a while.

Also the MXE (PDA-5002) has the ability to process both PAL and NTSC progressive signals - and as your DVD player has the ability to output these two signals it would appear to make sense to have a system which handles them both.

The 100hz processing is on all PAL 50hz input signals - you cant turn it off so its hard to say how the systems would look if it was not on!

The Pure Cinema mode is Pioneers version of 2:2 pull down sequencing for NTSC signals originally derived from a film source.

Trust this all helps.

Joe