Pioneer PDP-LX508D Owners Thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by LV426, Feb 13, 2009.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,304
  2. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar question to that raised by reckless on my lx-608. Now the set hasn't been calibrated but no matter what I'm watching whether it be SD or Blu-Ray I can always pick out a little bit of grain or flickering like reckless described. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the source as even watching Wall-E on Blu-Ray I could pick out some flickering/graininess in the image when I paused it (suggesting that it is the tv creating the noise/grain/flickering). Obviously its far worse on SD material, but is this something I should be worried about or is a small amount of flickering/grain standard for this sort of panel? Its not something I would expect calibration to have a huge impact on or am I mistaken?

I dunno, I guess when we paid $9000 (Australian Dollars) I expected a crystal clear image, certainly on Blu-Ray movies not affected by film grain (ie. Pixar movies), but was that somewhat unrealistic? I've got better than 20/20 vision so it could be that the grain/flicker I'm seeing on Blu-Ray Pixar movies is something most people wouldn't even notice...

NR and all those other nasties are all turned off so that shouldn't be part of the problem. I'm also using the settings provided by Bumptious so in that respect my picture should be pretty good.

Thanks for the clarification.

3. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Maybe try tweaking/calibrating the TV yourself to match your own kit and enviromemt? :) ton of help on the forum.
    All the best.

4. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I do plan on having the tv calibrated at some point so I'm not overly concerned about minor color inaccuracies or anything like that at this stage, but is the minor flickering/grain I'm talking about unusual on an uncalibrated panel?

5. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi champo. :)
    I'll check out Wall-E later on,flickering/grain in the image right?
    All the best.

6. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is very minor admitedly but it is something I can still pick up if I'm looking carefully, but I'm guessing its the panel as I can see the pixels flickering slightly when the image is paused.

God I sound so pedantic when I read back over what I'm saying. :rolleyes: I guess I just expect a lot from such an expensive tv. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.

7. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Ah,yes it is indeed the panel (used to have 8G now have KRP) noise is cleaned up on the LX509 and virtually eliminated on the KRP range.
    Cheers.

8. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, I take it that this level of noise in the panel is still far superior to that of competing brands such as Panasonic though? I really didn't consider any other brands when making the purchase, basically made a bee-line for the Pioneers so have no real means of comparison. :D

Thanks.

9. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    At normal viewing distance is very hard to spot though right?

10. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sitting about 3 metres (10 feet) from the tv I can pick up a small amount of grain/flickering, but not necessarily across the entire image (ie. it depends on the colour being displayed, so I might see it in scenes with lots of white, but not in darker scenes). As I said I have good eye sight so I doubt a lot of other people would pick up on it, but it certainly requires me to be looking for it to notice it.

11. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    It's certainly true that some people pickup more things than others when comes to viewing,i've no doubt your set is perfectly fine though. :smashin:

12. champo

champo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help and most importantly for being such a good sport in putting up with all my nonsense. :thumbsup:

13. Beemer2

Beemer2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having problems using the Home Gallery. Every time I move from one image to the next I get the "wait a while" message. This is very annoying both to me and any audience.

My original images are Nikon D200 NEF raw files which I convert in Adobe Lightroom 2 to JPG files. I have tried all compression levels down to 30% giving only 400K files. I then load them into an 8GB USB memory stick and plug this directly into the PDP-LX508D USB slot.

Each image takes at least 10 seconds to load and display while I see the "wait a while" message which Pioneer decided to place slap in the middle of the previous on-screen image. Insensitive or ill informed of some guy/gal.

Even the preview thumbnail images each take 10 seconds to appear

Has anyone found a fix for this? :(

regards,

Ian

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. Beemer2

Beemer2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps I missed something. Has this thread been closed? If not I would appreciate if someone would comment on my post (which appears to be the last) about my problem with the Gallery

regards,

Ian

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    You may be more likely to get replies if you post in the Pioneer 8g thread:)

16. markygfaebburn

markygfaebburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good evening.

For over a year, I've been using an optical switch for my Sky HD, PS3 & Apple TV to get audio through my bluray/amp unit.

I know the TV has an optical output but I've never used it, however I tried to use it tonight to save on clutter.

I removed the optical cable from my PS3, Apple TV & Sky HD, so only a HDMI cable is connected to them & then connected to the TV. I then connected an optical lead to the TV's output & put it to the amps input.

With this setup, I can't seem to get any sound at all from any if the devices.

I've lost my manual so can't check that & couldn't find an answer anywhere else.

Is there any way this would work or do I just have a dodgy output from the TV?

Thanks

17. ekotan

ekotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks to Gordon who calibrated my LX-508D. I took some screenshots, it may be of some interest to other readers of this thread:

ImageShack Album - 29 images

The ISF calibration made an enormous improvement to the overall picture quality. It's amazing to see the blacks blend right into the bezel as well on an 8G set.

[​IMG]

18. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    It's incredible imho, how great the (8G still is !!!)

These are fabulous pics, beautifully bright - and the blacks look great, dark and clean !.

Gordon certainly did an amazing job on it.

Will you be asking him to tweak your recently aquired KRP-500 too ? :D :thumbsup:

:EDIT: Anyone could seriously be forgiven for thinking these images were from a studio monitor they look that good. :smashin:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  19. gmeardi

gmeardi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just setting up ROOMIE remote to control all of my A/V equipment.
    I looked across this and other forums but I didn't find out if it does exist a discrete remote code for POWER ON and POWER OFF, as two different infrared control codes.
    Might anybody help?

Meanwhile... I can say that even after many years (from sept 2007) the Kuro panel is still in perfect shape. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  20. Ireland

Ireland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did Pioneer ever release an undermounted speaker for this TV that fit more perfectly than the slightly narrow (but workable) PDP-S59 ?

21. zerbino

zerbino
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello friends! I ask for your help on this issue. Please do not be surprised the text - I use Google translator. Today, after 5 years of use, I suffered a problem. When you turn on the panel, blue LED will flash 8 times and that's it. I tried to look on the internet solution to this problem, but to no avail. As far as I know now, the TV repair is now worth $ 1,000, which is half the cost of the device in Russia. Please tell me if I could do something to help, to do repairs at the least cost. I have a friend who has a mobile phone repair skills with minimal equipment, but if there is no other options, I am ready, of course, pay.
    Thank you for attention. With respect and gratitude forum users, Alex.