Pioneer PDP-507XD Power button

SplMonk

Novice Member
I have a Pioneer PDP-507XD (14 years old I know) sadly today the power button has stopped working well it works but won’t stay on.

If you press it and hold it in the TV will turn on and if you wedge it in with some paper it will stay on but it’s clear the power button has had it.

It seems silly to replace a great (working) TV for a broken power button does anyone know how easy this would be to fix or where on earth you would find a replacement part?

I know many of you will say its a dinosaur compared to todays 4k, 8k, 16k TVs but please don't just reply with time to buy a new TV I know this but would like to try and fix her...

She has been with me longer than my wife and 4 children if this is the final nail in the coffin I will have to sail her out on a boat and burn her in some sort of final goodbye.....

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_081037947.jpg
    IMG_20211207_081037947.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 45

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It could be a broken power button or the mains on-off switch behind it not latching.
It should be easy to source a replacement switch and fit if you’re comfortable working with electronic components and can solder, if not search your local newspapers and social media and look for an independent TV repairman and ask for a repair quote.
Other than that just keep the switch wedged in with a piece of matchstick or similar and just switch it on-off at the power socket.

SplMonk

Novice Member
It could be a broken power button or the mains on-off switch behind it not latching.
It should be easy to source a replacement switch and fit if you’re comfortable working with electronic components and can solder, if not search your local newspapers and social media and look for an independent TV repairman and ask for a repair quote.
Other than that just keep the switch wedged in with a piece of matchstick or similar and just switch it on-off at the power socket.
Hi Jay,

It feels like the switch not latching as I said it works by wedging it (see original pic).

As for fixing it myself who knows I can solder yes, but swapping out a switch and soldering it onto a TV's PCB I have no idea..

Also like most tech I'm probably going to have to dismantle the whole thing down to its bones to get to that switch in the corner (not something I do regularly) and as you know its a heavy 50in beast not an iPad.

As for searching the local paper well I live in the Netherlands at the moment, I can assure you TV repair men (people) are a thing of the past here "if its broke buy a new one" seems to be the motto.

Your last suggestion isn't a bad idea however like most of us my TV's plug is tucked away into a large inaccessible power strip so cant easily reach it separately and if I pull the whole thing it would mess with recordings on the Freesat etc.

I have contacted an eBay seller who seems to sell Pioneer parts so will see what they come back with

I don't know how much experience others have on here when it comes to dismantling older plasma TV's... Do's and Don'ts etc

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Buy another power strip with the cable of such a length that it's more accessible and plug it into the socket the TV's currently plugged into.
Plug the TV into the new power strip.

SplMonk

Novice Member
Buy another power strip with the cable of such a length that it's more accessible and plug it into the socket the TV's currently plugged into.
Plug the TV into the new power strip.

Good thinking Jay

Indeed not the craziest idea... I have kept the wedge in place used a smaller strip with an RCD that I can click "Test" and "Reset" to turn it Off and On. Rather than unplug.. not the best solution but it works until I attempt a permeant fix or buy a new TV.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I have a 427xd in my bedroom and can't bring myself to replace it when it's worked so well for such a long time. I use a remote control power strip. They are not wildly expensive and would solve your problem assuming you can keep it stuck in the on position.

You can get ones that come with a remote (I like the Energenie ones), ones that work with phone apps (TP-Link Kasa are serving me well) or ones that come with their own 'eye' and you can programme to work with any button on any of your existing remote which you may find preferable.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom