1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-505XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mpress, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mpress

mpress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone who can tell me the ideal settings for the PDP505XDE which would be mainly used for SKY+ in terms of contrast, colour, sharpness etc etc etc... I think I am slowly going insane adjusting settings up and down and going cross eyed!!! :eek: :suicide: :lease:

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well do not despair..... it is actually part of the fun..ha! I would suggest you make your final adjustments after you had the screen clocked a few hundred hours. You will find a lot of related threads if you search this forum but here are some basic guidelines:

1. Use the THX optimiser (found on many DVDs like Starwars, Monsters etc)
    or the DVE or the AVIA home theater setup discs. You can correctly set
    your brightness, colour, contrast (most difficult parameter to set) and
    sharpness.

2. Under the Pro Adjust section of the Picture menu you will find that for most
    people digital enhancements like DNR and MPEG NR are set to off.
    Purecinema should also be off. Leave CTI on and DRE at Mid.

3. I would make no adjustments for Colour Temperature and Colour
    Management. The correct ideal setting for each input on these parameters
    can only be set through an ISF professional calibration. I would highly
    recommend Piers for that at www.homecinemaengineering.com. In fact he
    will do the full setup for you for all mentioned parameters.

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Sorry to be a bore, but there are loads of posts where people have given their settings, but obviously everyone's taste is different, so I suggest using the Search function and trying some of them out.

4. mpress

mpress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any others opinions???

I was hoping to see a few peoples preferred settings so I could try them out :confused:

5. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have a 434 and although settings could be very similar, it is best you search this forum as I suggested to you earlier. You will find a lot and take into account the additonal advice comments given to you earlier in the thread....

6. jubletroop

jubletroop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mpress,

I am avidly watching your thread. I have a week old 435XDE and am not happy with the almost 'cartoon' like skintones. I have even emailed Pioneer direct for advice on the best settings for optimum pq, they told me to check the manual...yeah like I hadn't already thought of that....DOH.

I don't know if it is Sky+ and their bandwidth or a case of just letting it run for its 200+ hours and hoping things will settle. I'll probably get it calibrated after it's 'run in' and hope that will sort it.

:rolleyes:

Best Wishes,

Jubletroop

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Jubletroop

Yes the screen will improve significantly after the first 200 hours especially for non DVD images. Rest assured that when the screen is calibrated you will see .... what you are supposed to see ... a very significant improvement.... give a call to Piers when you are ready.

8. jubletroop

jubletroop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costas,

Many thanks for that reassurance. Have you any idea what it's likely to cost to have it calibrated?

Best Wishes,

Jubletroop

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
  10. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 504HDE, which is the previous model and practically identical.

If you've spent this kind of money, get in touch with one of the many calibration professionals on the forum (Piers at homecinemaengineering or Gordon at convergent-av) and get them to give your screen a full ISF calibration after 100-200 hours or use.

Until then, keep contrast and brightness low, as sometimes these are so badly set up out of the factory you might actually damage your screen if you continue with the factory settings!

Calibration will make a huge difference to your PQ, especially skin tones which are notoriously difficult to get right.

I have had this done on my 504 and it does work.

All screens are slightly different, even the same model, so there is no point publishing settings, they will be different for everybody.

Mat

11. jubletroop

jubletroop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costas and Mat,

Many thanks to you both for your advice.

Mpress,

Sorry I hijacked your thread!

Jubletroop

12. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Well mine are:-

Contrast 24
    Brightness +1
    Colour -6
    Tint -4
    Sharpness -2

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema Off
    Colour Temp Low
    MPEG NR Off
    DNR Off
    CTI Off
    DRE Off

Best advice though is to get a Digital Video Essentials DVD from the powerbuys forum for £13 and run through yourself to get the best setting for your environment and taste.

Although you calibrate the DVD input, they are almost there for the Sky/RGB, but sharpness tends to need some adjustment

13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Scrowe
    Although a lot of this comes down to personal taste... your settings overall point to a taste for a rather darker (and perhaps duller) image than normal.... but that of course is up to you... and perhaps the specific screen you have. For the benefit (you may try too!) of the other friends reading this with interest I would suggest a few alterations...

Brightness to about +6 or +8, Color Temp to Mid, DRE to Mid, Sharpness at 0 and Tint at 0.

I find hard to see based on your settings the DVE setup DVD disk accepted a brightness of +1

14. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Everybody's preferences will be different, and my latest calibration was done with the DVD being fed via component into a Lumagen HDP scaler, output as 720p through the HDMI input. They are in fact different from when the DVD was going straight into the component inputs on the media box. (see below)

I like my pictures as realistic as possible and with this configuration the contrast and brightness were set according to the test patterns on the DVD, and colour and tint using the RGB glasses and test patterns. My main goal is always accurate flesh-tones.

The sharpness setting adjustment from '0' is specifically for Sky pictures. On CRT sharpness has always been best left on '0' but on this plasma a slight adjustment + or - definitely seems to remove some noise from the Sky Digital picture.

From a previous posting :-

Contrast 30
    Brightness +5
    Colour -8
    Tint 0
    Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust All Off except for

Colour Temp Mid
    MPEG NR Mid

(MPEG can make a huge difference to perceived quality, but you can lose lots of picture detail, most obviously it removes freckles from people's faces.

(DRE can have a huge effect on the look of the picture by emphasising dark and light areas, but if you have contrast and brightness set correctly this should be Off for a realistic picture)

15. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mpress - If it is any consolation, I went through a similar 'phase' when I got my 435XDE a couple of weeks ago. After adjusting it to my own settings and then following others, and still watching the poor quality on the screen - did my head in!

I chose one of the preset modes (Movie) and turned all the image processing sh*t off and then threw the remote out of the window....only joking! The screen is only getting better - now I understand the importance of proper burn-in period!

Some of the channels on Sky are still not up to scratch. However, the longer I am leaving the screen on - the better it gets. I have not yet racked up the magic 200 hours - but getting there. If you want my advice; choose a setting you like and then just leave it well alone for a few weeks. After that you can run all the optimisers (BTW:there is also one on the new Incredibles DVD release) and tweak it to your hearts content!