1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-505XDE worth it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TonyA, Mar 20, 2005.

1. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi folks,

After almost camping out in the DLP forum since I joined AVF, and being a big advocate of the technology, it was with horror recently that I have discovered that I see the dreaded rainbow-effect on all of the currently available DLP RPTV's!

So, not being a fan of LCD and its action lag issues, I've started to look at Plasma.

I've had a good look around, and really like the look of the Panny Viera TV's - but as they are not really HD-Ready yet, I've discounted those, along with a good few others.

It looks like my ideal choice would be the Pioneer PDP-505XDE, and I'm looking at some advice from owners if it is a good choice.

I've got the Panny SD97 DVD Player with HDMI, and Sky+, and a Nintendo Gamcube (also look to attach either a Mac Mini or HTPC at some point).

The PQ on the 505 looked exceptional being fed with and HDMI DVD - but what about Sky+, Gamecube, PC etc... does it still hold up??

Also, I've avoided plasma due to the screen burn issues - I know that a lot of sets have built in circuitry to try and circumvent this, but I've noticed in the 505 handbook that it just states that images should not be left on "for a long time".

How long is a "long time"?

Anyone had screen burn (or other) issues with this panel?

T.

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO - no, its not worth it. I too am in the market for a 50" TV, preferably HD-ready, but the Pioneer XDE's are a complete non-option.

With DVDs on the HDMI it is a great screen, BUT with other sources/connections it is so hopeless that i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    There is motion pixellation, judder and a 'slow-motion' effect that is virtually, if not completely, absent with the DVD-HDMI feed. Its not a slight effect, it plagues the picture - and disabling noise-reduction features and changing the settings does virtually nothing to help. I think it has nothing to do with the Pioneer panel and everything to do with the media box electronics...

I am waiting a few more months for the new 50" models from Panasonic and Sony (HDMI and HD-ready) instead, and that's what I recommend you do too, to be honest. Good luck either way!

3. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks for the advice superpixel.

I wasn't aware that there were Panny and Sony HD-Ready sets waiting in the wings! If its a case of only waiting a couple of months then it will certainly be worth it to get an eye-ball of these new sets.

T.

4. Guy10

Guy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony

I've had my 505 for a couple of months and I must say it is a joy and a thing of beauty. Like everyone says on here - you have to choose with your own eyes rather than believe recommendations and reviews - and for me this was the best I saw.

Strangely, I just bought a S97 yesteday, so haven't had a good chance to audition it yet, but have had a little play with a couple of disks feeding HDMI and it does seem fantastic.

After reading the forum I wasn't holding out much hope for Sky+, but I was pleasantly suprised - some channels are better than others, but I guess I watch this more than any other source. It's very watchable IMHO

Don't have a gamecube but the PS2 has come out of retirement since I bought the panel. In fact, I spent far too much of today playing GT4. It's great.

Screen burn?....haven't seen any - have left some sky+ images paused for 30 mins (by mistake) with no apparent burn at all.

Did have a nasty moment a couple of weeks ago when I thought one of the pixels had decided to expire when watching newsnight - but it turned out to be a spot of dust on the newsnight camera (the one that captures the guest on the right!).....it stayed there for over a week...standards are obviously dropping at Aunty Beeb.

I guess this is the downside - you do get very picky about TV images.

Overall - very happy bunny

Cheers

Guy

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I have the 504,so guess the 505 is going to be an improvement.

Not withstanding that it cost alot of money, it's one of the best purchases I've made. Using quality interconnects, Sky+ is completely different for me, to those who have had negative expierences of it. I've come to the 504, from our previous set, a 41" Sony RP, and the picture is leagues better on the Pioneer - absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

Ultimately, you will only be able to make a decision by demoing with your own eyes.

I don't regret buying it at all. Far from it!

6. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I m very pleased with Pio s PQ on all sources.
    I don t have an hdmi dvd player but my pio575 via component is just awesome.
    More natural than any plasma that I ve seen.
    I ain t got sky so i can t give you an opinion on that
    but I have a dreambox sat receiver (which ain t the best receiver for PQ)
    and on nova greece I get a very good PQ
    So good that makes me wonder what the hell these guys are saying in here regardind pios performance on regular sources.
    Maybe after all it s sky s fault, not pios.

7. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Just one thing to add - it shows that RF as a signal is pants.
    I've got a good aerial setup,and the plasma shows all of the shortcomings of analogue plain vanilla TV picture.

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is nothing to do with the source. Be it DVD, Sky, the inbuilt Freeview, VHS...anything on SCART or component is terrible. It is not an issue of lower quality sources or anything like that.

Its such a shame, and a waste of a good plasma panel. Apart from its handling of motion, it is excellent.

My dad has a Pioneer 434, which suffers the same problems, whereas our friend's old Pioneer 503 is a supreme picture - fluid, clean and superb. If they put the 503 in the XDE package, I'd buy it in a flash.

Tony - if you live in London, then demoing the Pioneer with Sky should be easy...looks like people see different things, so make your own mind up...though I'd personally wait for the Panasonic and Sony anyway, just in case you prefer those. Watch the Pioneer for an extended period though, a quick side-by-side comparison tends to draw the eye only to things like brightness, contrast etc...and the flaws show up on SLOW movements/pans etc...playing a fast-action DVD will look good as it is too fast for the eye to see the flaws.

9. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony

The word on this forum from te4h techies is that the hotly anticipated Fujitsu series 40 High Def 50" is rockin da house when its released here next month..try it out afore ya spend teh sqme money on the poor source = poor PQ Pioneer 505XDE.

It has everything!

regards

10. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    With all these conflicting opinions,you really have to go & have a look & judge for yourself (pq,like sound is subjective)......just make sure you view at a reputable dealer who has it set up properly. Some do criticise the analogue inputs on the media box but if you are going Sky HD in the future,i would imagine that all of your content will route thru the superfine HDMI input anyway . I really like my XDE,colours & brightness are amazing & Sky looks great.It can be had for such a good price now but do bear in mind the new Fujitsu & Panasonic as mentioned above.
    Good Luck! :)

11. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you re saying that dvd via component look terrible? :nono:
    Oh my god.
    There must be a problem with my eyes :eek:
    I thought it was excelent.
    I ve seen panny and pio side by side connected via component
    and pio was about 25% better(except maybe the blacks) but the picture was more lifelike.

Dvd via component is terrible?
    I mean... c'mon

There must be a mistake

13. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

got a pio 505xde a couple of weeks ago also along with a panny s97. have to say Im more than happy with the results. room for improvement definitely (looking into scaler + ISF calibration) but considering I even watch SKY through RF due to living in a block of flats and sit only 3m away, I would say things dont look too bad from where Im standing (or sitting!!! :thumbsup: )

having said that make sure you go for a demo

14. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I agree with you on that point.

15. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think its probably wise to wait a bit - especially with the new HD-Ready Panny Viera's coming out in the next couple of months.

I've always preferred the Panny's pq - dont know why - just looks better to me, and I understand they've made some stunning changes to the new line-up.

Will put the Pio and Panny to a head-to-head test.

T.

16. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Had my Pioneer for about a month now, am very pleased with it!

Have a DVHS player, and watching I Robot in 1080i is simply mind blowing.

But DVDs can still be stunning, The Incredibles in particular looks almost hi-def from my Arcam DVD-27A over component.

Yes, Sky does show the limitations of blowing up a normal TV signal to that size, but if you spend the time to set it up properly, it gives very good results.

17. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi andyasb

Can you please give us the settings that you have on Sky?