1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Pdp 505xde V Pioneer Pdp 506xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oh Contrary!, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Oh Contrary!

Oh Contrary!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody.

Just for those who are currently considering these models the difference between the two is very little. I have been able to see them side by side, running the same programme and in the same format and I could not tell the difference. Cosmetically they are similar also.

The 506 affords an additional HDMI socket otherwise all other sockets are as on the 505.

Currently you can buy a 505 for just under £3000 including delivery in comparison to £3250 for the 506 including delivery.

Lastly the 505 does come with a standard two year warranty (except when sold by some stores: the price quoted above includes it), but the 506 does not (value approx £200.00?).

Is the 506 is worth the additional £250 and a reduced warranty period? Well Pioneer say definately but I am not so sure, but then I bought a 505!!

Perfecto!

Chris.

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Chris

You've quoted a very cheap 506 there!!!! and I don't think Panasonic would promote Pioneer products!!!!

If you were to definatley use 2 devices with HMDI/DVI outputs, then the 506 should be your priority (currently, adding an extra HDMI port will cost about £200 using a switchbox).

The 506 has some more advanced tweakablity options also. With the right settings your 505 will match the 506.

But if your planning to add a scaler, then I would recommend neither and get an MXE1 instead.

Doc

3. Oh Contrary!

Oh Contrary!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! Thanks for pointing that out Doc!

I expect (well hopeful) that by the time HD really is in use that the cost of adding a port will fall.

Looking at your post am I right in thinking you have a PC hooked up to your 505?

If so has it been worth it?

Thanks again! Chris.

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I do expect the price of HDMI switchboxes to fall, especially when manufacturers start adding more inputs (like Pioneer have).

I only use the PC to playback HiDef material, and the quality is stunning (you will realise what this TV was really made for!!!!!!). Most people with the XDE use the VGA/HDMI input for the PC. Using a top graphics card (Nvidia 7800) with component output - going straight into the Pio......WOW!!!!

It may sound suprising, but I notice that little bit extra quality, after trying the other methods.

Doc