1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-505XDE and Samsung HD945

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by av-paul, Jan 24, 2005.

1. av-paul

av-paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer PDP-505XDE and Samsung HD945

After much research I recently purchased this Pioneer PDP-505XDE, it is one of the only Plasma currently on the market which has a HDMI interface, My DVD player was Pioneer 626D, running with a SCART Connection, (high quality £60 scart lead).

The picture quality was much better than I expected considering the 50 inch screen, and this DVD player was using SCART and not performing any Up scaling.

I decided to look for a DVD player that would Support HDMI, so that there would be no D/A conversion then A/D conversion (ie calculated Noise when signal goes through the csart lead.) hence additional noise added to the source signal.

Realistically I was faced with some options Hi End DVD (Expensive) Models like Pioneer 868, Denon 3910, Arcam 79 decided against this as I figure later this year Blue Ray Players / Recorders will be out, As they are currently in Japan, I recon by the end of the year 05, they will be in the UK. Also the thought of investing £900 in either Pioneer , Denon or Arcam and having to right this money off , and buy a Blue Ray, or what ever the new HD DVD player /Recorder is going to be, made me think these where not a good investment.

So that leave me with lower priced DVD player that support Video Up-scaling,
    Model like Panasonic S97, Denon 1910, and Samsung HD945, I Visited various electrical retailers to see If could get a demonstration of any of these DVD players, the only one I could get a demonstration of was the Panasonic S97, and I can truly say my Current Pioneer 626D, running Scart had a better displayed image.

The Denon 1910, only supports DVI, and not HDMI, so this left just the Samsung HD945, after much thought decided to purchase it, it arrived a few days ago last Friday, so I had the weekend to set it up.

First Impressions of the Samsung, well minimalist design, ok but not to every one liking. The remote control looks real cheap and plastic. Checked the Box it is supplied with both an DVI to HDMI, and HDMI to HDMI lead, that I thought made up for a cheat looking remote control.

Connected the HD945 to the Plasma’s Media box, Switched it on, Nothing just white snow with DVD sound. Remembering some one posting on AVforms.com some time ago, there is a HDMI select button on the Samsung remote, pressed this still nothing.

Forgot I had not enabled the HDMI interface, in the setup menu on the plasma, so tried to do this, but it was greyed out, so decide to power down the both the 505XDE plasma and the HD945, and power them up together, went into the setup of the plasma, now it the HDMI interface was not greyed out. ( I had previously connected the DVD player to the media box while it was powered up, strange). I enable HDMI. Switched on HD945. Selected Source 3, on remote.

Image quality 1080i, sat back in disbelief , the picture was so clear, I mean really clear. This was a great choice. HD DVD is really clear. I can recommend this Player Samsung HD945. with Pioneer PDP505 XDE.

Though I would replace the supplied HDMI, cable with high quality Silver soldered, with gold plated connections. (£80) lead. The lead sure looked well made, real professional lead. Connected up, No noticeable difference. ( Think the cable runs need to be real long to make a difference, the standard HDMI lead supplied with the Samsung HD945, is just fine. Save your £80.

My complete system now comprises of Pioneer PDP 505XDE, Samsung HD945, and a BOSE Lifestyle 50. The AV experience is just amazing, A big wow for both Sound and Vision.

I would like to thank all the people who had posted, some helpful comments on avformums.com as they all helped. This AV kit is expensive, So do your research check this site, buy some magazines, talk to people, but do your own research. You to can build a great system. I hope this will be of some use to other researching AV kit.

Regards

Paul

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Great post, thanks for sharing that with us.

Enjoy!

p.s. I think you made a very wise decision getting the Sammy945, as you say too much on the radar map to invest heavily in a DVD player right now.

3. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Great post!

I have to say the 505XDE is the only panel that I have seen to date that I thought, 'yes the PQ is great!'

Well done on that purchase!

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Looks as though there are about only 2 sources for the Samsung 945 now. The rumours that its been scrapped may well be true. Shame.

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Paul,
    Did you notice any improvement on blacks in dark scenes through HDMI? I am currently using a basic S_video connection whilst waiting for a component cable to be delivered from Mark Grant.Blade II /some scenes in Spiderman etc tend to look a little greyed out at the moment,otherwise picture quality is faultless.Btw,good informative post!

Cheers,

Dan :)

6. geezasid

geezasid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed quite a few comments about holding off on expensive DVD players in prepartion for blu-ray, which have made me think twice about spending £1000 myself. The question is, if I stick with a cheap dvd player today, when will I upgrade to a next gen model?

Personally I think end of 2005 for blu-ray is slightly ambitious, but even so, the cheapest player before early 2007 would be well over £1000 in UK. And what about the disks? Blu-ray isn't compatible with current dvd's, so assuming that format wins out, most of our movies will be watched on dvd players till 2008 (after 2 years of blu-ray players). Do I really want to spend £4k on a screen, and use a source costing less than 10% of that price for the next 3 years?

Also note the following quote from John Bamford (Pioneer AV consultant) - "Blu-ray may be expensive today, three or four years down the road, a blu-ray machine will be just £799". That means it will be at least 2008 before our dvd players gets replaced, and even then I'm sure we will still keep them for the benefit of our 100+ DVD collections.

The only question remaining, is how much additional benefit will I get from using a more expensive dvd player now? av-paul's comments suggest that it would be difficult to improve on the picture from the Samsung. Can anybody comment having seen a higher quality feed?

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Someone's been reading the most recent issue of HCC :D

Surely its the law of diminishing returns? Is a top end Pio with HDMI *that* much better than a Samsung 945 with HDMI?

8. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys
    Can anyone possibly tell me what sort of price the samsung 945 is?

9. ptoboley

ptoboley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given, as you say, the benefit of the HDMI interface is that you cut out the analogue middle-man, I'm surprised that your demo of the Panasonic was so negative. One would expect the players to be pretty similar with digital outputs at that end of the market. I'm looking at the Panasonic myself having been disappointed with the Samsung UI in the past (plus the problems with its availability).

Are you absolutely sure the retailer was using the digital connection?

At the higher end of the market I suppose players might do more post-decode transformations to try to correct deficencies on the disc, such as macroblocking.

Even that, though, is just a matter of software, and so as the underlying hardware gets cheaper it'll filter down. Probably why the industry is keen to push HD-DVD and BluRay (apart from the obvious fact that HD is taking off in Japan and the US) -- just like on your PC desktop you need something to keep soaking up the extra computing power available otherwise why would people keep buying new PCs?

I seem to have digressed.... The Samsung is about £150-£180. Look on kelkoo/froogle/etc.

Mike.

10. robertjackson

robertjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi 945 is in stock & available from pixmania for £148.00. Just do a uk google search on the model number!!!

11. andreac

andreac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Have you tried to play THX movies with the HD945 ?

I got always very bad blacks through the HDMI interface ????
    I have seen many reports about a bug of this DVD (it does not display in the correct way the blacker than black and whiter than white information of the THX DVD titles)

12. robertjackson

robertjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have no problem with THX movies, R1 or R2. For the money, it is an excellent player, although a little light on chroma/gamma adjustment etc. It makes a reasonable job of SACD + DVD for the price, although if you have serious amps/speakers etc stay well away. I use another player for multichannel + CD. Good superbit transfers through HDMI look excellent on the 505XDE :)