Pioneer PDP-504HDE or PDP-505XDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    A bit of a dilemna here...

I'm thinking of buying the Pioneer PDP-504HDE, which will be discontinued soon to make way for the upcoming PDP-505XDE. I can get it for quite a cheap price at my local store. Does anyone know anything about the newer 505XDE models? Is it worth holding back on the 504HDE, and paying whatever extra for the 505XDE? Does anyone know how much of an improvement is the newer model? They say the 505XDE has 7 billion colours, on paper it sounds nice, but I don't know how significant this improvement will be in reality. Also, the digital freeview that comes built into the 505XDE isn't an importance to me, as I already have a Sky receiver.

Apart from the 7 billion colours, the built in digital receiver and plastic front (to reduce reflection), there are no other big differences betweent he two models.

If the improvement in the new model isn't so significant, then it may be worthless for me to pay a lot extra for this slight difference, and I may as well buy the current model while it's going cheap. Unfortunately, there are no reviews yet in the magazines, so if I wait for the new sets to be reviewed or displayed in the shops and find there's no vast improvement, then it would be too late for me to get the (cheaper) older model as it'll all be sold out.

Thanks.

2. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly the same dilema that I face, also the fact that the fist glance review of the 425 in What Hifi wasn't very encouraging certainly makes me wonder whether to wait. I plan to go the HIfi show in Heathrow on Saturday where I hope the new Pioneers will be on display so I can see for myself.

Hopefully might have something to report back.

3. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    On the board you will read that What Hi-Fi reviews are not held to great regard. Also Plasma need setting up. Additionally to get the best, it will need to be fed with DVI, or from a SKY modded box with say SDI. All in all it is a big melting pot. I think I did read somewhere that Pioneer had blown a gasket over what WHiFi wrote.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The test, I hear, was not one of Pioneer's finest moments. It was not an XDE they sent for test, for one thing. when comparing new for old models, remember there are few quantum leaps left to make, don't expect to see a huge advance, even with the screens running side by side. The biggest area they could improve will probably be pretty much untouched, the scart inputs. Pioneer have chosen to pursue the HDTV end of things, with HDMI. The picture with, say, Euro1080 is seriously impressive, due to the all digital connection as well as the vastly improved data rate/resolution. Also it looks so much better than sky cos IMHO the analogue inputs are nothing much to write home about. I would expect the inbuilt freeview to blast sky on scart out of the water, on this basis. My 2p worth, have fun at Heathrow, if you can get into Pioneers stand there. Take your biggest elbows!

5. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    MAW, do you know it the Pioneers can take SDI ? Or do you have to go the Scaler box route ? - Thanks

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No SDI, and if you fancy a scaler, for pity's sake buy an MX panel, not an HDE. It's far better suited to the job.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
  8. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Gordon,
    so if you install a pioneer(435/505) to keep things simple for the wife, how do you get a better picture out of a Sky box, if SDI is off the agenda for the plasma ? - Thanks Andy

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    You can use a scaler and SDI mod your Skybox. The PIO TV's wont accept native res and refresh digitally so you need to go in at video resolutions on HDMI input. If the processing of the analogue and digital inputs is better on the scaler than the new media boxes then you'll get a better image on screen.....with an MXE you can let the scaler do pixel mapping to exact screen res without any frame rate conversion so you should get an even better result with one of those.

Gordon

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    And keeping it simple for the wife, truly a panel and a pronto remote with a good program is easier than sky on an AV input of a TV plasma. For the whole hog, you need an ipronto with on screen EPG. But just an RU950 will simplify their dear little lives no end.

11. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    go for the 504HDE , It's future-proof with HDMI , looks fantastic in the living room , reliable and you can get very good deals on it at the moment.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    NC11, do you work for Pioneer consumer division? I'll admit they look great turned off, but the second anyone mentions scalers or PC's it becomes bottom of the list. And personally I would never spend 5k on a TV the government have sworn to make obsolete in 3-6 year's time.