1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer PDP-504HDE or 50MX1 ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by machu, Jun 22, 2004.

1. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I was just about to place my order for PDP-504HDE when browsing through this forum I found a thread saying something like: "there are 100s of reasons not to buy Pio HDE models for an HTPC....unfortunatelly the person didn't bother to actually spell these reasons. I was going to build an HTPC (with a Sat card + Ci slots for Euro1080 and Canal+ and an internet connection to store/play HD movies) and hook up 504HDE to it, but now I put my decision on hold. Can someone help me out with this? Should I drop the idea of HTPC and get a regular setup box and DVD? If I decide to get a 50MX1 will I need an optional video cards or can I use my PC's Radeon 9800 Pro? On the other hand, if I get 504HDE, do I need to use the Media Box or can I bypass it?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi machu,

A 50MXE1 would be a much better partner to an HCPC than a 504HDE which can't be used without the media box. You wouldn't need an additional video board to use the built-in VGA and DVI connectors, although all good dealers should include a board of your choice with the panel. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With the HDE you cannot use the screen without the media box. The VGA input is on the front panel of the box, somewhat unsightly, low in WAF. The HDMI digital input is restricted to 1280x720, not native to the panel. This is terminal for me with this screen, this is reason no. 1 for using the PC in the 1st place. Digital jukebox is very nice, but no use if the picture is 2nd rate. There's a few of the reasons for you. You might also get a deal on the 50mx with no video board, if you don't need it. This is possible if you use the nebula freeview card or some such.