1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-503HDE Hi-Def @50Hz?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sgt.Zim, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Sgt.Zim

Sgt.Zim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help me out :lease:

I live in the UK and bought a Pioneer PDP-503HDE a couple of years ago, thinking that it was going to be a sound investment.

I am now interested in Sky HDTV (after hearing that the first batch of set-top boxes will offer component outputs :thumbsup: ) and xbox360 and am worried that the screen will not be able to display 720p or 1080i @50Hz as I know for a fact that it will not output 576p@50Hz(PAL).

Can answer any of the following questions for me: -

1. Will Sky HDTV run at 50Hz?
    2. Is there such a thing as PAL in the HDTV world?
    3. Will the PDP-503HDE display 720p or 1080i in the correct colour system and
    at the correct refresh rate?
    4. Could a decent scaler help me out?

The only other solution I have at the moment is to sell up and purchase a new screen at great cost and hassle :suicide:

I don't want to have to purchase an NTSC console again to get a good quality image and I really want to experience HDTV as soon as possible

Please help

Many thanks in advance :)

Zim

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    xbox 360 and even hd dvd could easily be 60hz only, so you should be ok there but we'll have to wait and see. there wont be such thing as pal/ntsc in hd, but their refresh rates that differ, will remain (i.e.pal 50hz, ntsc 60hz as you pointed out). Im pretty sure sky hd will be 50hz so that it can be scaled down and output as SD pal, without converting frame rate and all.

Im afraid i dont know if your screen does 50hz high def, and as mentioned earlier there is no seperate colour systems for HDTV, just different refresh rates (and ways of compressing it but we dont have to worry about that!).

A scaler will work :thumbsup: converting 50hz to 60hz, but you may see some judder on sports. I dont know whether it will work forever though, because of the fact that sky might remove component functionality.

hope this helps :)

3. Sgt.Zim

Sgt.Zim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chedmaster, that clears up some of my queries. Do you have any recommendations for scalers. The only one I know of is the Iscan HD.

Cheers,

Zim