Pioneer PDP 503 MXE Plasma - Cracked Screen, what is the cause?

B

Brownbear101

My three year old PDP 503 MXE screen has cracked and the unit does not work. This occured during normal viewing - after about an hour watching Sky - and was accompanied by a popping noise.

Does anyone know the likely or possible cause. There has been no abuse to the unit - just normal viewing - and no prolonged display of still images.

Hello Brownbear101

Never heard of a Display simply 'cracking' whilst being used!

Usually they 'crack' in-transit or whilst being manhandled - and even then they can take a fair bit of abuse.

Do you have a pic?

Joe

I'm afraid I don't have a picture - the unit went away for repair but the repair is as much as a new unit.

It was about a 12 inch crack starting in the top right hand corner and proceeding towards the centre of the screen. It wasn't on the surface glass - I assume that there is a second glass layer underneath.

It certainly wasn't being manhandled or even touched at the time or even in the recent past.

Hello Brownbear101

The front layer is a plastic optical filter - the 'glass' pixel layer is, as you suggest, a layer back from the front filter.

It may be worth talking to your Home Insurer and or Pioneer Customer Service - I've never heard of a panel simply cracking.

I wouldn't repair the unit - the PSU or similar could die the day after you have it repaired; plus if no one knows why the 'glass' went off the same could happen again.

Joe

Thanks Joe

Pioneer aren't interested and my excess on the home insurance is above the amount in question. I've already purchased a 506 to replace this one but was hoping that either this could be repaired more cheaply - and used in the den - or I could compare notes with others so as to be able to have another conversation with Pioneer.

Was it wallmounted...If yes,,could it be possible that the wallmount or wall was not completely flat and was putting stress on the glass..

Or there could of been a nick on the edge of the glass when the plasma was made or when the glass was cut..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom