Pioneer PDP-436SXE : PS3 via HDMI - no overscan, PC via HDMI - overscan. Why?

R

robbo662

Hi All,

I own a Pioneer PDP-436SXE. I connect my PS3 via HDMI and the picture is great, no indication of overscan and if I use the remote to split and freeze frame the image I can see that in fact I am seeing all of the picture.

However, if I connect my PC via the docking station DVI port with a DVI->HDMI cable I get serious overscan (it looks like an inch of screen cannot be seen all round).

The PC is set to output 1920 x 1080 @ 50Hz. The laptop is a Lenovo T61 with the Intel 965 Express chipset. I had to upgrade the driver to the latest to get anything to display but I believe that is because the previous driver did not negotiate HDMI properly and the Pioneer will only display via HDMI if the connection supports HDCP.

Can someone please explain what the likely differences are between the HDMI signals such that the TV displays one perfectly and the other far from perfectly?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
go into display properties, settings, advanced then look for any advanced options for your chipset. hopefully you will find an overscan option which you can reduce the overscan with.

also try 75hz instead (surprised you got 50hz working as that is very rare on a laptop)

also have a look for overscan options in your pioneer menu. i take it the windows start button is half off screen?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
go into display properties, settings, advanced then look for any advanced options for your chipset. hopefully you will find an overscan option which you can reduce the overscan with.

also try 75hz instead (surprised you got 50hz working as that is very rare on a laptop)

also have a look for overscan options in your pioneer menu. i take it the windows start button is half off screen?

50Hz seems to be becoming more common on modern laptop video chipsets running current drivers - if they have DVI/HDMI outputs. VGA output equipped models don't normally offer 50Hz as it is not really within the VGA spec.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello robbo662

There is no reason/requirement for the Pioneer to only work with an HDCP signal - I very much doubt that is the case.

The PDP-436SXE is a 1024x768 pixel display and lacks the Dot to Dot mode of the 1920x1080 pixel displays.

Pg 50 of the User Manual lists the signals your PDP supports on its HDMI Input - 1920x1080p60/50 is not supported; 1920x1080i60/50 is supported along with 1920x1080p24 (which the PS3 also supports!).

The HDMI Input always applies some degree of Overscan - use a Test Pattern Disc in the PS3 and you will see you are loosing some information.

What does the Pioneer report (Full, Wide, Cinema, Zoom etc) if you hit the 'i' button on the Pioneer remote with the Laptop attached to the HDMI port?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom