Pioneer PDP-436RXE - Advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by baztard, Mar 24, 2006.

1. baztard

baztard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any one recently taken the plunge and purchased an Pioneer PDP-436RXE/SXE. I am looking as getting one and paying around £1900. Does anyone have any advice on Pro's & Cons of this box. Seems that the XDE gets great praise, I am assuming they use they same technology but my pocket won't stretch that far especially as I want to get a few other seperates.

Thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
    Baz

2. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,925
    Its got the same screen as the XDE, so should look great, the XDE is the flag ship and i think the RXE/SXE are just missing a few tweeks and bits !! Why not get an XDE ??? Dixons online £2154.00 ( with discount codes, thanks to all for them)

3. mng70

mng70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently had my new 436RXW delivered and it's a stunning looking set. It's easy to use, has good sound (for internal) and the picture is stunning - even Telewest SD. I wasn't aware that there were any differences with the screen on the RXE/SXE with the XDE. I think the only differences are the lack of seperate media box and the inclusion of speakers and stand. I think it's great value.

4. john9876

john9876

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One more difference between the XDE and the SXE which I noticed is the remote control - the SXE's is much larger, more plasticky and cheaper-looking (the XDE's is a nice, compact, metal-faced one).

Having said that I do like the rounded look to the SXE itself and the integrated speakers along the bottom, as opposed to the square-edged XDE and the usual side-mounted speakers (I know you can get a bottom-mounted one but haven't seen that). The table-top stand has a smaller footprint on the SXE too (which is odd as it weighs more).

Obviously you lose the second HDMI and the PC input, memory card reader etc. which are only on the XDE, but save a few £££s.

Stock seems to be an issue with the older XDE (Dixons are out of stock whenever I check, JL don't have it on their website and said no stock when I checked in-store last weekend).

5. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Is the RXE capable of displaying 1080p like the XDE?

6. baztard

baztard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    1080p don't work on our RXE and I have to ask why you would wish to do that anyway, the screen is 1024 x 768 res anything over that needs to be downscaled internally. Is our RXE faulty or can anyone confimr that 1080p don't work adn I must admit I wouldn't expect it too either....