1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Pdp-435xde Woes!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by moopa, Jan 23, 2005.

1. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly Hi all. This is my first post!

I have been looking online to no real avail regarding my 435.
    I have not been at all impressed by the picture quality. It looks grainy and washed out on just about every setting and I was beginging to think I am either completely mad or something is amiss.

To my suprise I have found that Feb 2005's What Hi-Fi had similar results with their intial review model a few months back. They have reviewed it again in the Feb edition (With the XDE tuner), given it a 5 star rating and best plasma award!
    They to state that they cannot understand how the first one was so bad.

This is all good and well but I am in the same prediciment only I bought it!

Any ideas why this would be the case? In honesty I am not using prog scan dvd players or any other high end equipment. Simply TV, RGB's for both Xbox and PS2 consoles and a few other bits and bobs.

Any feedback/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dave.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    try a search, mate. A hotly debated issue, one for which a digital grilling is often dealt out. Careful attention to settings helps, and there are those who say it needs running in before you see it's capabilities. I'm sceptical about this even though one of the most respected forum members has said it (Joe@TMF) Other folks talk about using a digital scaler to cure it, but that's £760.

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Having had a few 434s I can say they do get better thru time.

4. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best part of 3 grand I'd expect and hope it worked well immediatly, nevermind £760 scalers and so forth, unfortuantly from what posters have told me - that's not the case :-(

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In the case of poor old Mr 434, we have to bow to his greater experience. How many is that? And perhaps a short repeat of why?

6. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with you here but I am wondering if Pioneer have sneakily upgraded some of the components due to What Hi-Fi's new revelation?

Looking at the serial and box it seems my tv was made in Nov 2004. Around the same time as their initial findings....

7. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From reading most of the posts about the 435XDE and 505XDE over the past few months, it would seem the PQ varies quite a bit !

I don't know whether it's something to do with the screens varying in some way or, if it's down to the way people are connecting their components together.

We bought a 435XDE and 505XDE from Joe in December ( along with a load of other kit ! )

All I can say is, the PQ from Freeview/Sky/dvd on the 505XDE is excellent :thumbsup:

I have only tried Freeview on the 435XDE so far, it was excellent aswell !

Regards,

Stan.

8. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you calibrated the sharpness setting? Mine is at -3 for freeview and -2 for DVD's. Also try putting up the DNR setting to high or medium, but if you sit less than 2.5m away from the plasma then its inevitable that you'll see grain.

9. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What date was your panel made sjb?
    I think moopa may have a point.
    I think it s written on the box's serial number sticker

10. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting DNR to high or even med is a bad idea.
    Lots of smearing effects.

11. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    4. My point is that whilst waiting for a swap-over due to (engineer diagnosed buzzing problems), I have taken a few units from 0 hours to over 200 hours usage. When you then get a new unit you do notice a drop in picture quality. Why the attitude MAW?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My point is that you have suffered one of the other drawbacks of the 434. To be fair, not one I have personally come across. In fact the only 'reliability' issue I have had was cured by getting the fat granny to stop sitting on the remote! But if I were you I would have given up on the things by now, I just don't have that much patience/time/tolerance.

13. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Leerock,

The 435XDE was manufactured in October 2004.

Regards,

Stan.

14. tungchung

tungchung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth looking to see if the problem is with the source, than with the screen. Afterall, like most of us, you've probably upgraded from a smaller screen to the pioneer. So visual defects, which was probably hardly noticable on the smaller screen will be more apparent.
    What DVD player you're using? Are you using standard cables? Have you checked if you've got a good mains supply (Conditioners and Filters are useful).
    Basically for a high end screen like the pio, you should do it justice with simular quality components.
    Besides, you'd never give a Ferrari a 900cc engine would you :cool:

15. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a 435xde for about three weeks now and I've been very impressed by PQ. I'm sitting pretty close to it as well (about 9 feet away). There's no question you notice artifacts, noise etc... a lot more than on my previous 28'' CRT but I was always expecting that. Sky is pretty good as are DVDs (DVDs I should say look great) and games through XBox look very good as well when running through progressive.

I run everything through a Denon 2805 AV receiver via component leads (except Sky + obviously).

Having said that I came a cross a very strange problem last night. Turned everything off (well to stand-by anyway) and went out for an hour or so. When we got back back and turned everything back on the PQ was absolute rubbish. The Sky blue box at the bottom of the screen was all washed out and the picture itself suffered from massive blurring. I fiddled for a while to no avail and then went for the good ole turn it off and on again 'trick' and it all went back to normal. No idea what this might be.

As for buzzing: it's bizarre. I can only hear it if I'm standing in a particular place and the volume is low. From standard viewing position i can't hear a thing.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it.

16. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmm
    Can you please tell me the settings you have on it?

17. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be clear on this I think I am far less demanding than some people on here. A lot of people seem to agree that factory settings are awful and one really needs to tinker to get the best PQ. Well I was pretty impressed with the PQ as I found it. I've heard everyone bang on about turning off the Pro Adjust settings but I've found that not to be the case for me. Most things are on at a 'mid' setting. I turned the colour and sharpness down a bit also. I'll try and post exact settings when I get home if you like but I'm just saying that I seem to be in the minority here.

18. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I just decided to leave the settings on my 505 until its had its recommended 100hr burn in. Everything looked a bit leary for a start but after a couple of days run, its starting to tone down/sharpen up.(installed it on saturday)
    Star Wars on DVD looks amazing (lazer blasts/light sabres look fantastically colurfull & bright) Early impressions are very impressive.
    Dan :)

19. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the things I am running is an Xbox with RGB. Forgive my unleetness here but how do I run it progressive? Is this possible?

20. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd need an NTSC (US or Jap)or modded PAL X-Box in order to take advantage of the progressive scan feature. Quite annoying really.

If you have one of the former you just need to change the settings in the dashboard and the MS Advanced Hi-Def Kit (or something like that) which has component leads and a dig. opt. out as well.

21. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am probably way of target here but I have a PAL modded Xbox .. I am sure my mod is probably not the one you refer to. Its an Xecutor Mod that has a different dashboard etc. Is this part of that?

Many thanks

Dave

22. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That should be fine. I'm not too clued up on the different mod chips but I'm sure you should be able to do it with any mod chip. You should have an option to boot the MS dashboard. Do that and in the video settings see if you have the option to select progressive (and hi-def) settings. If you don't I think you need to change the region of your XBox using config magic or something like that. It will only work with component leads though.

If you have X-Box Media Centre or XBMPlayer then you can view DVDs in progressive scan. I'm not convinced as to the quality of the XBox as a DVD player though as I reckon I get better results through a cheapish Tosh through component but interlaced.

23. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the info El-Geet. I have now ordered a M$ High definition AV Pack from http://www.whitedog.co.uk I will let you know how I go with the quality! :)

24. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...here are my settings for Sky viewing:

Contrast 40

Brightness 4

Colour -9

Tint 0

Sharpness -1

Pro Adjust:

Pure Cinema - Off
    Colour Temp - Mid-Low
    MPEG NR - Off
    DNR - Off
    CTI - On
    DRE - Mid

I need to get a calibration disc really as it drives me mad fiddling wth it...I can't seem to make up my mind.

25. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs. Let me know how you get on. It's really handy for Divx...24 recorded from HDTV in the US looks pretty good.

26. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely even in standard NTSC mode things look far better! How I dont know but the 525 line seems to agree with the screen. Colours are rich. Grainy quality has gone and blacks are very good.

For the record for everyone reading this post I have turned off ALL of the advanced picture stuff such as Mpeg NR etc. It seems to help.

27. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems pioneer's picture filters are just too sh**ty.
    All they can do is destroy the quality.
    I get better results when I turn them off
    on dvd and sat too.

28. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Surely that's a good thing though, all any of them do surely is artificially manipulate the picture, whereas what you want is the feed picture accurately reproduced.

I also had them turned off, after running through the DVE disk. Whilst the DVD picture is now pure excellence, the same settings on the Sky Input have managed to suck some of the life and depth out of the picture. I ended up putting them back to more or less defaults, and some of them do make a slight difference on the Sky picture. What you really need to be able to do is to Get Sky to record the DVE disk and play it back.

I'll post my settings for Component DVD and Sky via RGB when I'm at home later.

29. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes please do that :smashin:

30. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Right,

Input 1, RGB Scart showing Sky

Contrast 30
    Brightness +5
    Colour -8
    Tint 0
    Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust All Off except for

Colour Temp Mid
    MPEG NR Mid

(MPEG can make a huge difference to perceived quality, but you can lose lots of picture detail, most obviously it removes freckles from people's faces.

(DRE can have a huge effect on the look of the picture by emphasising dark and light areas, but if you have contrast and brightness set correctly this should be Off for a realistic picture)

Input 2, Component from DVD

Contrast 25
    Brightness +5
    Colour -8
    Tint -5
    Sharpness 0

Pro Adjust All Off except for

Colour Temp Mid