1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Pdp-435hde Wiring/bracket

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by garyc, Jul 6, 2005.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, :hiya:

Looking to get this pioneer plasma with media centre. But before I get it I need to replace the fire place/surround and run either a conduit or av cable behind the plasterboard. But is it best to get the plasma first and install the av cable or put a duct in allowing the cable to be installed at a later date?

anyone know what cable is supplied, its length and size including connections?

recommendations for a good wall bracket?

Is it possible to use a line doubler with a plasma and if so how would it connect with the media centre?

cheers

Gary :lease:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Gary, not the best plasma for using a scaler with, restricted resolutions available on the digital input, and VGA is on the front of the media box, so a cable sticking out there might not please all members of the household. You'd still get a useful improvement over scart for sky or cable though, Brackets, the Pio one is a rip off, a good one will be under £100. Cables, it's proprietary, you are stuffed there, and of course it comes in the box with the plasma.... It's 3m long. Pioneer sell 10m ones, I have a source of 7m ones, not at Pioneer prices. If it's a 3m one you need, and you don't want to buy the screen yet, I've got one in the store you can have, and give me yours when the plasma comes? The connections are standard DVI and a funny plug I've not seen elsewhere. It's a fig.8 lead, the 2 bonded together. It's impossible to make up on site, so any duct must accomodate the DVI plug, ie 50mm or bigger. Not good! I'm taking the liberty of replying rather more directly cos I'm only a few miles from you. Incidentally, if you've really been offered a 'HDE' model, it's a grey import. We only get FDE and XDE here. Unless it's a 434 HDE, which is nearly a year old. If the price is right, nothing much wrong with either of these options, as long as you know what you are buying.

3. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thankyou for all the info and the kind offer of a cable lend.

with reference to the media box, what connection is on the front?

What other plasmas would you recommend I look at, I have not tried to source a 435hde yet just seen it in the pioneer brochure?

cheers

Gary

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ha, can of worms there. I'd buy any plasma I liked the picture of from any of the quality makers, and personally I'd avoid any name you haven't heard of or associate with fridges. You need a few demos, and a talk through the Hi def minefield. The computer VGA input is on the front of the media box, all others on the back (OK there's a port for your video camera on the front too) The HDMI digital is on the back, but it accepts only video resolutions, not 1024x768, which is the pixel array on the screen. This means the scaler is not fully able to take over the processing when connected digitally. Don't take that to heart though, it's still good, and almost every panel has issues of some sort. You just have to choose the one that bugs you least! What will appeal depends in part on the environment, ie ambient light, what you watch, and your taste in picture. If you are contemplating a scaler, there may be no need for a media box at all, you can achieve a 1 cable connection to the screen if that's what you need, and if you have sky or cable you don't need a TV tuner, or else you could have a dead funky freeview PVR instead, like the Topfield 5800. Are you doing surround sound too?
    Martin

5. Anderzander

Anderzander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin

I have decided to go for the Pioneer FDE (changed my mind from the other two cheaper sets I posted about) - and I'm really interested in your 7m cables. 7m would be the ideal length for my room, should I emal you to enquire further?

The pioneer seems a good choice for me, for the reasons below. I'd appreciate any comments though:

One of my criteria was the plasma must have speakers - I don't want to do the home cinema thing,

the picture looks plenty good enough on it for me,

the looks match the room,

it's ready for the HD stuff (and I don't want to buy another panel for a good few years),

I will only have to sink one twin cable and the power lead into the wall,

the tuner/media box has more than enough inputs for my needs and it suits being separate from the panel as it is...

Eventually I would like to replace the tuner/media box and replace it with a mac mini and a related digital tuner. I would connect the mini hopefully using a DVI->HDMI converter (or at worst the S video connection) - so I'd be able to use the pioneer cables already in the wall. The goal would be to use the mini as a PVR and dvd player.

I guess the other thing to mention is I don't want to spend a fortune on it all - I don't watch enough TV to warrant it.

Stephen

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stephen, all sound reasons for buying an FDE. 7m cable no prob, email me. Big prob to try and ditch the media box later, it can't be done. It's always there, cramping your style for connections to other devices. You can't turn the thing on without the media box, it's the control it's asking for. Bear in mind any plasma just about can have speakers put on it. The mac mini you can connect on HDMI, for sure, but it's only intended for video, it suffers from hideous overscan on PC signals, the ways around this are worse than the problem, so you just have to put up with it. No VGA input on the FDE, so your connections are further restricted. And I would sooner bite my own head off than display a PC as s-video on a plasma, it's a total abortion, looks absolutely terrible. If you are set on the FDE, you must bear this little lot with a smile.

7. Anderzander

Anderzander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - you are a very helpful chap :)

I will email you about the cable.

Stephen

8. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Martin

looks like you your right - HDE grey import!!

so pioneer tell me that XDE is the UK model with the same specs. but does the XDE do a better job at displaying pc input than the FDE?

looked at the silver pioneer bolt on speakers, got to say not impressed but are the black ones any better designed?

any indication of install costs would be of help, i.e take out old fire place (including surround, install/cable new plasma with kit in old fire place. note a new in the wall fire place will be between the kit and new plasma?

cheers

Gary

9. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PS. just to add

the XDE media box only has a vga input to the front, but does the actual screen back panel have a vga pc input?

Gary

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, the only VGA is on the media box. You'll need to email or phone for more info from me, rules prohibit me offering goods or services. All in my profile, just talk to the robot.

11. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cheers for the info.

would you recommend any other plasmas for having a media box with a rear vga input?

cheers

Gary

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you are serious about PC connections, look at display only plasmas. With a surround sound amp you don't need the media box, and you'd then connect direct to the screen. You'd get much better sound too, even if you still only went stereo, not the full 5.1