Pioneer PDP-435fde plasma power problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AndyR.Jones, Dec 18, 2006.

1. AndyR.Jones

AndyR.Jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! This is my first post!!
    My pioneer tv is 17 months old. Everytime I switch on my plasma tv now the power doesn't switch on the panel anymore. It did come back for a short spell (a couple of hours) but then it died again and has been like it for a couple of weeks.
    All that happens is the media reciever comes on with both red and green lights and then goes to flashing red (meaning standby and no connection to panel) and when you switch on the panel it sometimes briefly flashes red or does nothing.
    When I switch it off the panel flashes a longer single red flash and then goes off. Sometimes during switch off the media receiver picks up the screen but then reverts to flashing red again (as exepected).
    The unit was taken in by a pioneer shop and analysed for £58. They have come back saying they want £500+ for a new power board and then they can't guarantee there won't be anything else wrong with it.

Does anyone have any suggestiopns as to what could be wrong or what i can do to fix it. Annoyingly this is just out of warranty :mad: by 5 months so I assume I cannot get pioneer to stump up for the repair costs.
    If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be really grateful to hear them as (unsdertstandably) I don't fancy stumping up £500+ on top of the £2100 I paid for it in july 2005.:lease:

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    If I were you, I would most certainly be expecting Pioneer to do something about this - 17 months use out of a £2,100 piece of equipment is totally unacceptable - get in touch with them and at least give them the chance to do something for you.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. AndyR.Jones

AndyR.Jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. I searched around on this site and found a note from dafinity (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322536) which says that there is a lifetime warranty on pioneer power supplys. This i find intersting but strange. i did ophone Pioneer customer service centre but "there were no problems with that model" so it looks like they expect me to be on my own!
    Bit miffed about that I think. Maybe I will try them again and plead. certainly I am not going to pay £500 for a new power board. Also on the thread above they state a £94 charge if it does not fix the problem.
    The complany I gave the set to are Genserve in Swindon but they are not accredited plasma fixers for Pioneer but accredited in other Pioneer products. However they assured me they had all the "kit" all set up in their offices. Perhaps I should have stumped up the £94 they wanted in Maidenhead instead?
    Oh what to do........ ?????????
    Update: However I took your (marvellous) suggestion and phoned Pioneer Service Centre and they have said to let them see the original receipt and a copy of the estimate for repairs and they will see what they can do! So I am now waiting on Genserv to agree to supplying that and then will forward to Pioneer.
    I'll let you know how I get on. Things are looking up !!! :)

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Good - I'm sure they'll do something for you.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Martin.

5. AndyR.Jones

AndyR.Jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, Martin, on Thursday I got my TV back! Pioneer agreed to cover the costs of the replacement power board and I paid the labour cost of the repair and VAT, which amounted to £211.00 overall.
    So all in all a result I think. Thank you for your advice matey - it paid dividends and I am now one happy chappy!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Great Andy - I'm delighted to hear your good news, and that my trust in Pioneer was not misplaced. :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, and I hope that you now have many more years use out of your set.

Cheers,

Martin.

7. SwedenRed

SwedenRed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is also my 1st post... Normally I get through stuff like this on my own, but this one has got me.
    Searched for hours for this... and looks like I might have a similar problem.

I have a PDP-433HDE with what seems like the same problems AndyRJones spoke about. It is now 4.5 years old...so a bit older than his. Bought in the UK, and I now live in Sweden. The screen just will not turn on. Is this a common problem with Pioneers?
    To the warranty... It is mentioned before on this thread that Pioneer normally fixes Power issues like this and is coverred by the waranty. I havnt been able to find anything on this in the manual though. Do you think Pioneer in Sweden should or would help after so long? (4.5 years isnt exactly that long though is it?!)
    Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can pass on.