1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-435FDE plasma - is it normal for it to make a buzzing noise?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cristos diablos, Sep 8, 2005.

1. cristos diablos

cristos diablos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my Pioneer PDP-435FDE back in February. I'm really pleased with the picture but it makes a buzzing noise, which is noticeable at over 7 feet away. This problem has been attributed to both the transformer and the screen discharging. It is most noticeable when there are a lot of light colours on screen.

I've seen the same model in a dedicated Home Cinema shop and it didn't make a noise. Moreover, a sales assistant I spoke to stated the noise described wasn't normal and suggested I contact Pioneer.

However, on contacting Pioneer directly I was told the noise is normal. This has been reconfirmed by two separate engineers, albeit one working for Pioneer's service company, Sequoia, and another from Curry's, where I bought it.

This leads me to the question, is this buzzing noise normal for plasma's in general or more specifically, Pioneer's?

Any help would be much appreciated

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    IIRC, Pioneer needed some convincing until they acknowledged this as a real problem. There's a big fat thread over at www.avsforum.com about this. I think there's a fix available, which will at least reduce the buzzing. I'd suggest to do a search over at the US forum.

3. cristos diablos

cristos diablos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have now checked the suggested thread on the US AVS forum and it would appear that either a firmware or replacement video board/firmware solution is available in the US which in most cases eliminates the problem entirely.

I'm gonna contact Pioneer again today.

Cheers

4. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what did they say to you?

5. DAVIDSON1450

DAVIDSON1450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No noises with my unit,it is 8 weeks old and the only problem with mine are the marks on the screen,see PIONEER PLASMA SCRATCHES.

Be very carefull with that screen my friend they are very easly marked.

6. cristos diablos

cristos diablos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Diverse.

I actually contacted Sequoia - Pioneers service agents - directly. The chap I spoke to was very helpful and arranged to contact me again in a couple of days when he's discussed the problem with his engineers and Pioneer. He actually seemed to be knowledgeable and was even clued into the benefits of forums so hopefully I'll get get a positive result.

I can let you know how I get on if you're interested.