1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-435 or PDP-434?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by key130, Sep 16, 2004.

1. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've ordered a PDP-435XDE from avland. Delivery is hopefully around Ocotber sometime.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that a magazine review of a 435 wasn't that favourable - the 434 is supposed to still be better.

Having looked on the internet, I can't find any reviews at all of the 435.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and try and source the 434 - I think they are in short supply(?).

Can anyone help me make a decision :confused: whether I should get with the 435 or 434?

Thanks,
    Al.

2. irmster

irmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are ordering an expensive piece of kit without any demo, or without any dealer having set eyes on it. There is a lot of 'chatter' concerning the 435, but that's all it is. In any case, whilst reviews are helpful, I would want to see for myself before parting with more than 3k.

3. jci

jci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi key130
    After reading extensive reviews of the 434, and also the many doubtful anticipations about the 435, I have managed to source a last model 434 at a saving of €1000 on price of new 435. My thoughts on the subject are that I would prefer to spent this much money on a tried and tested model which has had mostly magnificent reviews, instead of splashing out a grand more for a model which has a lot of work to do to prove itself! Thats my opinion, I'm sure there are many out there who will disagree.
    Good luck with the choice.

jci

4. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I took delivery of the 435 a couple of days ago and have only watched it for several hours thus far.

It's a grand screen and putting it on the wall took some time and effort (1.5 hours and help from my two nephews!).

I had a chance to look at the 434 and 435 (though not side by side). I really like the 435's picture. I would be lying if I said the 435 was better than the 434 as I couldn't compare them side by side.

The concept of the media box which means there are only two leads going to the TV despite having lots of connections to the media box.

AVLAND gave me a good deal when I (pre)ordered the unit a couple of months ago - TV, wall mount and side speakers for around £3600.

One warning (and which I have read about before on these forums but never experienced) - a terrestial picture does not look wonderful (or as good as I would expect it to be). I have a new aerial installed and whilst watching freeview, you can see various picture artefacts. In shops, they always have a DVD running so you don't normally see a terristial picture.

Otherwise, I am happy with purchase. My dad loves it as he can now enjoy watching cricket on a mega screen.

Regards,

Al.

5. Dot Crawl

Dot Crawl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done. I'd say you've got a really nice screen there. Don't beat yourself up about not being able to to quantify weather the 435 looks better that the 434, to be honest if the only way you could tell is by a side by side comparison there can't be any difference worth worrying about.

Good for you for taking the plunge and buying a screen, I have been looking into this minefield for some time now and to be honest with you I just might go and get my B&W portable back out of the attic and watch that instead. As I'm no closer to knowing what to buy, which ever one you end up with there is always someone else with a horror storry or "yeah but that screen can't do........."

I recently saw a 435 in a hifi shop and it looked AMAZING

I hope you enjoy you new telly.

6. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dot Crawl.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to determine which one to get - read loads of posts and magazine reviews.

I'm getting tired of magazine review - buy several different mags and they will all rate the same equipment with different scores.

In the end, I saw the 434 had very good reviews so just took the plunge and ordered the 435!

Al.

7. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could a kind 435 owner tell how the new front panel compares, I read its plastic instead of glass. Is this noticable and do you think there will be any problems cleaning it?Thanks

8. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Key130 congrats on your plasma, just wondering about the speakers myself are they any good??

I myself have some Sony SAVE535 5.1 speaker kit, so would the pioneer speakers sound just as good if I was to incorporate them into my system? They certainly look good with the plasma.

Also would you say that the artefacts you see on freeview are caused by the media box?

9. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I saw both the 434 on a previous visit and last week when i picked up a Denon 2910 i saw the 435 (both at AVland). Both times they were using a HD signal from a HTPC and the picture was pretty amazing to be honest.

Also, i thought both screens looked good in the flesh and i didn't think the 435 looked cheaper in anyway.

However if i could find a 434 for £1K cheaper i would choose the older model without question.

10. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 435 for about 2 weeks now. I can honestly say that I don't regret the purchase in any way. The whole unit, RC, Media Bob, Panel, Menus, PQ is fantastic.

I too deliberated for months, reading magazines etc. The clincher for me was seeing the panel in operation. DON'T rely on magazines. The 435 gets slated (don't know why) where as the Sony KDP gets grand reviews. I had the fortune of spending some serious time viewing the Sony as my Cousin has one. He has now seen the 435 on a nuber of occasions and feels the the PQ is better on the 435. The magazines will tell you a different story.

I watch a lot of Sky+ and to be honest, have no complaints.

Rely on your own eyes. If you like, buy.

11. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

I've got a 504 now, but seriously considered a 434/435/505 when I was looking, and trawled the net looking at various forums, reviews, etc.

My understanding is that the 5th generation pio's (435/505) are only marginally better than the previous ones (434/504). one of the main differences is the plastic screen, which means that in daylight and in certain lighting conditions the new 5th generation screens look slightly better.

The reason the 435/505 screens didn't get good reviews is because other manufacturers mave made great leaps forward recently, whereas Pioneer haven't. the 4th generation pioneers screens were way ahead of everything else last year, and when the 5th gen came out improvements were only marginal or barely noticeable, so the press were disappointed - they were expecting another groundbreaking leap and didn't get one. Meanwhile other manufacturers such as panasonic have caught up and maybe even surpassed pioneer.

Cheers,
    Mat.

12. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I must confess that i am near purchasing a plasma and have yoo been reading with interest the comments on this forum for some time, whilst saving money to buy one.

I am now torn between the 435XDE and the new Panasonic TH-42PHD7, but have yet to view one of these in operation.

My main criteria are HD compatibility and also the ability to hook up my new DVD player via HDMI, Xbox via component and Sky+.

However, the panasonic is going to have to be pretty special to beat the pioneer IMHO.

13. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if youre close to the purchase time , go for the pioneer. the HDMI support is well proven on the 434\5 and not yet on the PW7.

14. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are good quality. Note that there are (apparently) two different types of speakers for the Pioneer - I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, but I'm told by avland that I have the cheaper set.

I haven't touched the sound controls at all (bass,mid,treble). Running stock, stereo dispersion is good (I have the speakers on the sides of the tv as opposed to the bottom).

I have a JVX QP-F70 6.1 system which I run with my projector. The Pioneers don't match the JVC for sound quality (and I wasn't expecting them to).

If you already have the Sony surround system, best bet is to use that if you can. At least you will get decent surround sound.

Al.

15. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I use my 434's speakers as my centre for my 5.1 system. Works a treat. (see the other 435 thread for details)