1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-434HDE or Panasonic TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kch1888, Aug 12, 2004.

1. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. This is my first post so hello to all current members!

I am about to buy a plasma screen and have narrowed my choices to the two panels mentioned above. Going by the information on these forums, either would appear to be a good choice!
    But, what i would like to know is which one would be most suited to wall mounting? Ive seen a pioneer wall mounted on display and it looks fantastic. Ive only seen the viera on its special floor stand and i get the impression it has been designed mainly as a floor standing solution?

Any insight would be much appreciated as well as any pics anyone has of either of these plasmas mounted on their walls!

Thanks.

2. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to consider is where all of the connections go and how easily would it be to hide all of the cables.
    In the past you used to have some sort of breakout box with all the connections on it with only the power cable and VGA connector going to the plasma, now it's pain with loads of cables going to the screen, unless you have a good AV amp with upscalling to YUV or a scaler such as an Iscan.

3. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Stimpy.
    The pioneer has a seperate tuner box, unlike the viera, so only the hdmi cable needs to go to the screen (with the power lead) i think.
    This led me to believe that it may be the better wall mounting option but i dont know how much depth the wall brackets add to each of the screens.
    Would be good to know the bracket dimensions, i would be using both the panasonic and pioneer official products.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The viera is indeed designed more as a stand mounted TV, and the connections will be mostly scarts dangling and working loose. But then Pioneer have only included an analogue tuner with the 434, which is pretty crass. But the link cable gives a better wall mounting option, and you can get long ones if you need to have the media box some way off, which is also handy for cable burying. You can buy the link cable 1st separately. Not a lot of people know this, but the link cable is the same as Sharp LCD TVs, so you can get them in 3, 7 and 10m lengths, and a monster optical 30m job. The IR reciever is on the screen too, giving a natural way to use the remote. Top marks in so many areas, but I couldn't live with the analogue tuner or the silly HDMI implementation. Nor could I live with no digital connection. I seem to have talked myself out of both.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Isn't Pioneer just about to replace the 434 with the 435? £4,000 rrp and comes with a digital tuner. + other improvements.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Technically true, but they are giving October as a release date, and since when were they on time? There are also, I understand, to be several models, only the top one will have digital tuner and HDMI. If you have pricing, you are 1 up on me.

7. m_felstead

m_felstead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ----------------------

Hi kch1888

i reached exactly the same point as you with my shortlist selection for a screen. I came to the conclusion the it was worth the sacrifice of freeview with the panasonic and opt instead for the pioneer screen that has HMDI for easier cabling ( and i believe the wall brackets for the panasonic protrude a little more)

I am currently trying to get JL to pricematch it

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    According to what vid + wide tv, the 43" screen, (PDP-435XDE), will cost £4k and will have all the same features of the 50" screen, (though there will be a paired down version for £3,700 without the digital tuner, VGA, or mem card slots).

Main Features:

- Screen res of 1280 by 768,
    - Digital terrestial tuner with full support for MHEG-5 services, (whatever that is).
    - Analogue tuner
    - PIP
    - HDMI input
    - VGA, component + RGB.
    - screen life 60,000 hrs.

Plus also according to HCC, there's a 'radical new plastic Direct Colour Filter ' which eliminates the need for glass frontage. 'Should erradicate room reflections and improve the panels overall contrast'. The panel is also 4kg lighter than the 434.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I have the Viera and due to a slight fault I could if I wish exchange it for a Pioneer. Decided not to today, will stick one more try with the Viera.

The analogue tuner on the Pioneer is awful (they really shouldn't have bothered) the remote reactions are just so irritatingly slow and it's a modular solution (which maybe of benefit to you). Otherwise it is superb.

However, both screens are really very, very good. The Pioneer defo edges it technically speaking, but not necessarily with the end on-screen result. On DVD footage, the Pioneer's resolution is superb but off-air broadcasts the Viera wins hands down. On paper it should all be one way running in the Pioneer's favour but in reality it isn't. Panasonic have extracted a lot out of the PW6 panel and have done it to very good effect, whereas I don't think Pioneer have fully with the end 434 product.

It's 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of another really. You can't lose either way, they're two of the very best.

10. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :laugh:

11. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's very true... reminds me of some friends who died alone as no woman was good enough for them.. :oops:

12. al_cooper

al_cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been reading peoples comments with interest on these two panels as I've been trying to decide which one to buy. Leaning towards the pioneer at the moment but it's so damn hard to decide! I'm gonna have to order one this weekend and hope I make the right choice but as Ekko Star says, they both seem to be great panels.

13. Vix

Vix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in exactly the same position and deliberated for months. In the end I, yesterday, ordered a .................. Hitachi 42PD5200. The picture is better than the Panny and the cost a lot less than the Pioneer.
    :laugh:

14. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    kch1888,

Stay well clear from fujitsu or Hitachi plasma's,i find both suffer from poor solarization:thumbsdow

The other problem i found with ALIS screens is when watching movies with dark scenes,the screen had light and dark areas where it should be uniform i found this very annoying :thumbsdow

I have had my pioneer 43MXE-1 for two months and I must say it's one of the best plasmas out at the moment :smashin:

Before anyone starts defending there Fujitsu or Hitachi plasma screens this is just on the experience i have had with 4 Hitachi 400e and 1 Fujitsu P42HHS30ES(42" flagship model) over the past year!

DVD

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Rob20

I think the News item was pretty close to the mark - though the 43" model will retain the 1024x768 array (as far as I know).

It looks like the Media Box 'options' may not be so much of an 'Option' more a way to manage how the TV's are positioned in the market place with the big multiples selling the lower spec box and the new Pioneer 'The Works'* Retailers and us 'Independents' supplying the higher spec box.

(*Look out for the AX Receivers, HDMI DVD players and top end DVR disappearing from a lot of 'on line' and non approved dealers over the next few months as 'The Works' is rolled out).

The new filter design replaces one of the 'internal' filters (the front of the screens has always been a plastic anti glare filter layer) which is currently a glass layer and the claim is that the new substrate filter (bonded directly to the plasma array as far as I can tell) causes less 'internal' reflections.

No news yet on availability or pricing.

Best regards

Joe

16. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read today a (p)review of the coming 435 series (3 models), and I confirm that those have a 1280x768 resolution (as opposed to 1024x768 for the 434).
    I suppose these will be good for 1280x720p "native" HD programming, with the remaining 48 (6%) rows showing horizontal black bars I suppose...?

EDIT: after checking on a few Web sites it appears that the preview is wrong :mad: , the 43" models have in fact a 1024x768 resolution - just like the 434... sorry for the confusion! :blush:

Note: the 1280x768 resolution is in fact true for the 505-HDL/HDS screens (50" version of this new series).

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    peezee

Not according to Pioneer JP - see http://www.pioneer.co.jp/pdp/lineup/pdp435hdl.html

If you run your cursor over any links on the page you get an 'English' version of the text link at the bottom of your browser.

Three lines down from the big HDMI logo you'll see the two 'link' boxes with the arrows in - the first one takes you to the spec sheet and it states 1024x768 for all 43" models.

Best regards

Joe

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hiya Peezee, I think it highly likely that the info is erroneous. There is no reason whatsoever for Pioneer to produce another 'computer' resolution for a 43" plasma in any case, if they were going for a completely new panel surely it would ve video res, ie 1280x720? Incidentally, feed the 1280x768 50" a 720p signal, and it scales it to fit the 768 pixels. No black bars.

19. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe & MAW, yeah, I had just double-checked on some Japanese (and Russian, lots of advanced info on those sites! :eek: ) Web pages and found that out. Silly magazine (don't worry, you won't find it in yr country :D ).

Good to see you do follow the forum even over the week-end...! :devil: ;)

20. Vix

Vix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to follow up on my earlier message. My new 42" Hitachi arrived yesterday and was stunning out of the box. Inevitably I will need to optimize some settings for certain inputs and dvds. The only initial drawback is the single scart socket but I do not expect it to be an issue given the range of other inputs available.
    :thumbsup: