1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-4345 USA Supplied

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by voicey, Mar 5, 2005.

1. voicey

voicey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all - I'm new to this Plamsa game so please be patient with me!

I have to opportunity to purchase a Pioneer PDP-4345 at a considerable discount. The TV (and AV box) will be supplied from the USA but I will have to pick it up from Germany. I have a friend in the forces (you wouldn't believe how much stuff they can get cheaply).

I have two questions that I hope someone will be able to help me out with:

1. Can anyone think of any problems with using this TV in the UK? I have seen a model working in Germany plugged into the mains via a plug adaptor so voltage is not an issue. I also realise that the tuner may not work but I have a freeview tuner in any case.

2. I will have to drive to collect this. Can I transport the TV (in it's packaging of course) flat in the boot of my car? I'm not sure if screens should be transported vertically.

Thanking you in advance for your responses. :thumbsup:

2. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Kit bought from (presumably) the BX or PX through Germany will work fine, but the tuner in a plasma TV will not. The internal software can be different and it will not have a scart socket, if that is important to you.

Like many in the Forces I do buy lots of stuff from US bases. But very few of us would take such a gamble with a major purchase like that. A set of Bose speakers for a bedroom perhaps, but not a plasma...

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Never, Never transport a plasma flat!!

Otherwise you will have the glas all cracked.

4. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It does have 2 HDMI sockets, which is one more than you will get on the UK version!

5. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1. If it works in Germany then it should work in the UK - the tuner probably wont, and the media box probably wont have scart so you'll need some kind of adapter from your freeview box. Hopefully you saw it demo'd with a film and not just "oh, the power light's on so it must be ok" ....? And of course the one you saw demo'd is the one you are actually bringing home...

2. The screen *must* be transported vertically. The stresses of transporting it horizonally will probably shatter the screen.

6. voicey

voicey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. If I do go for this I'll rent a van and transport it vertically.

I did see it demo'd in the shop with a film (sharks tale I think). I would be getting a brand new boxed model not a display but I can try it out in my mates house first before bringing it home.

I kinda figured the tuner wouldn't work but the lack of scart worries me. What alternatives are there for connecting my freeview (soon to be sky+), DVD and VCR?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just use S-video component and Composite sockets, componet for DVD, S-video for sky+ and composite for VCR . make sure inputs are happy with PAL material....and it is still cheaper than a UK model when transport costs etc are covered also consider warranty, check with Pioneer UK if they will honour any warranty and with the shop so if it does go BANG you can at least drive it back to germany.......

8. voicey

voicey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I can get it for $3200 which equals around £1750. Factor in around £250 in ferry crossing, van rental and diesel and it goes up to around £2k.

My next question is do you think it's worth it? I haven't researched screens in the UK - I was just over there last week and it seemed like a good deal.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. voicey

voicey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I'm talked out of it. Thanks for the responses guys. Now I'm gonna research buying a UK TV. In fact I think I'll only need a display panel and something to interface with my boxes. Got my annual bonus burning a hole in my savings account......

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic 42PHD7 + scaler mate the Dogs! or the 50" for a really nice install!

12. voicey

voicey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance - what is a scaler?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215