1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer PDP 434 HDE power fault

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kevin.donnelly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. kevin.donnelly

kevin.donnelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have brought 3 PDP434 HDE plasmas at different times. The earliest one now has a problem. After turning it on the screen operates normally for a while. After a random time (10 seconds to 7 minutes) the screen switches of and goes into stand by. You can switch it back on but it just switches back off again after a while. In the manual, the three causes are, power saving mode, sleep timer and over heat. I have checked the power settings and the sleep timer but they are disabled. As for the over heat, the box sits in an open glass table on its own with plenty of room around it. The screen sits on a glass table free standing (400 mm from the wall with nothing around it) I have checked all the cables and connections but all is fine. I have checked the cooling fan on the box. It’s a bit dusty but it is working fine. I have cleaned the dust out but still does the same. After switching off, the “ON” LED flashes 8 times then stops for 3 second then flashes 8 times again constantly. can any one help :lease:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PSU failure is most likely. You'll need to call the service dept.

3. 820CPO

820CPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have developed a similar problem to possible PSU failure by Kevin whilst getting ready to watch the Spanish F1 gradprix yesterday not a happy bunny!
    The screen will now only initially turn on then within 5 seconds before any picture green light on screen starts to flash and the screen shuts down.
    Error flash of 5 blinks on screen green light a break then repeated.
    Some threads say overheating but the plasma is wall mounted no dust or obstructions and central heating been off two months.
    Any information to shed light as to possible fault greatly appreciated
    Power module changed 12 months ago by supplier this was no cost and driven by pioneer.:rolleyes:

4. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my 434HDE when it was 2 months old. The screen would shut off after the Power On LED on the media box (I think) had flashed 8 times. This would be immediately after switching from standby to On. The media box was swapped out under warranty and (touch wood) I haven't seen this since.

5. kevin.donnelly

kevin.donnelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it,s happened again!!!! had a new power supply fitted last year and today the same fault has happened. not very happy with this plasma. it cost me £350 to get it fixed last time plus the cost of getting it to to the local aortherised dealer (80 mile round trip). does any body know the wright fix, up rated power supply??:rolleyes:

6. 820CPO

820CPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevin,
    Sorry to see you have the snag again. Post the second shutdown on my 434 I contacted my local authorised dealer as still in 3 year cover, they took it away and tested for 3 months tryiny to reproduce and find fault. On advice from pioneer they changed power supply again,two boards within the Plasma which are v expensive and updated the software which was 3 releases behind current issue. With the HDCP rearing its head through Sky I have now lost faith in this product. Plasma is back on wall and all ok so far but expect it to be taken again when called for to have counter measure applied as explained by Pioneer blog in late November. This is not what you expected from a product after paying some £4500.:(

7. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can i find the pioneer blog? and how can i find out if my 434 software is up to date? Much appreciated! Thanks

8. 820CPO

820CPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can i find the pioneer blog? and how can i find out if my 434 software is up to date? Much appreciated! Thanks

The blog does not give specific serial numbers or software updates all it says is 4,5,6 generation plasmas may be affected by current HDCP issues. This AV forum has specific threads dealing with this pioneer issue. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390386.
    The softwrae update was instigated by local dealer whilst trying to fix the snag. Feel sure this only relates to the internal EPG of free view which updates itself and has caused some problems, but 434 does not have freeview incorporated.
    Hope that helps
    pioneerhdblog.com

9. plasmauser

plasmauser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted my own similar thread asking for help with a similar problem (10 flashes on mine).

It is outrageous that official service centres are so few and far between, and will not service many parts of the country, AND that Pioneer (and I believe that other makers are just as bad) will not supply manuals or parts to anybody else.:thumbsdow

Without special equipment, it is not possible to package the screen safely for a courier. The result is that those of us living in such areas can only get service by carrying the screen ourselves on a round trip which may take several hours. This is a crazy situation. :mad:

It is also the case that servicing can be far too expensive as highlighted in this thread.:(

How can we bring pressure to bear on the makers to rectify these issues?

10. plasmauser

plasmauser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now understand from the official Pioneer service centre in Oldham that even they do not have access the manual and do not know what the number of flashes means on any given model. The situation is ridiculous.

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Pioneer Blog

Cheers.

Martin.

12. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys.

13. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think that warrants a strongly worded phone call to Pioneer customer services. :eek: :thumbsdow