1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-433MXE + PDA-5002 = SKY HD+ Compatible?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by 7MAT, Sep 17, 2005.

1. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was recently told that the new SKY HD+ will be launched with both component & HDMI output. This got me thinking that perhaps I might be able to use my old Pioneer PDP-433MXE with SKY HD+ as I previously thought it was going to be HDMI only with HDCP.

My screen is fitted with a PDA-5002 video card, the manual states that it can receive 1080i, 1080p & 720p HD signal via its component imput.

Can anyone confirm if this would work with SKY HD+? Or is my display screen too old and not fully compatible?

Matt

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Matt

Its going to work for a while - how long is anyone's guess and with how much of the HD content that will be available on the new box is also a guess at this time.

Not all of the HD Broadcasts are guaranteed to be available on the YUV outputs and at some point in the future they are very likely to be switched off.

I'd wait and see what actually launches before you make any big decisions.

Best regards

Joe

PS Keep in mind its 720P and 1080i at 50Hz that's important!

3. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Jo

I've just found Sky's HD website.

It says that your TV / Screen must be capable of displaying both 1080i/25 and 720p/50??

The manual for the PDA-5002 says that it can display 1080i and 1080p at both 50Hz and 60Hz but 720p at only 60Hz?

Now I'm really confused??? :eek:

7MAT

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello 7MAT

I need to go look at some old notes to see if we ever got these to work at 50Hz with 720P (sometimes you find signals work that aren't mentioned in the manual).

Assuming NOT then you could add a Lumagen VisionDVI (or HDP) to the party - Input 720P(50) on YUV and Output 1080i(50) or 1024x768P(50); the latter will potentially give the best results as your minimising the amount of processing the Display is undertaking.

The Lumagen will obviously pay dividends with all of your signals and will still be relevant if you upgrade to a newer 'HD Ready' Display.

Best regards

Joe