1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer PDP-433HDE: Possible to connect to the new mediabox R04?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Heady, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Heady

Heady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

As you probably know the mediabox of the PDP-433HDE doesn't allow Pal progressive, just NTSC progressive. But from the technical aspect the panel itself should be able to generate PAL PS pictures as well...

And since the new Pioneer Plasmas are out I thought about getting just the new mediabox, the R04E it is called I think...with the intention to connect it to my 433HDE.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Oh...and another question:

At the moment I own the Sony DAV-S880 homecinema set but recently I've seen some infos about a DVI compatible Player by Yamakawa. Now: If I'd connect this player over DVI directly at the panel without getting over the mediabox, I'd probably have Pal Progressive, right? Could I enjoy HDTV as well? My retailer told me that the 433HDE should be compatible to HDTV...but I think only in the smaller version...720 or so. I'm not really into this HDTV stuff already...so excuse me if this would be a silly question. ;)

Thank you for an answer!

Greets

Heady

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Heady

Interchanging the R04 for the R03 Media Box is a No Go I'm afraid - the two systems are not compatible; you could instead look at adding a Lumagen Vision video processor between your PAL sources and the HD15 Input on the R03 and send 768P to the TV via RGBHV.

This works well and would be no more expensive than a replacement Media Box and the Lumagen's a more flexible processor than the R04 anyway.

I use a Vision with my 04HDE and before that had it on my dem 03HDE.

Connecting a DVI equipped source directly to the screen on your 03HDE system is again not straightforward - you need to ensure the DVI source has a signal that's compatible with the screen and you need to keep the non DVI connector between the Media Box and screen in place other wise the screen shuts down every few minutes (which it's liable to do anyway as the DVI equipped video input is really only designed to work properly with the R03 Media Box).

HDTV is not one standard but a collection of standards and the 03HDE is HD compatible in that it will accept 720P signals from a suitable Video Source.

Keep in mind that unless you go for a JVC D-VHS deck or a Home Theatre PC with WM9 or similar your unlikely to have a True HD source just yet - using a Lumagen or other video scaler or a DVD player with a built in scaler does allow you to up convert a Standard Definition signal to an accepted HD standard but the basic video stream is still from your SD source.

HDTV is just around the corner and worth planning for but do your homework as its easy to get confused by the marketing tosh that's been bandied about these days.

Best regards

Joe

3. Heady

Heady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe for all these infos! :D

So...let's see if I can get such a Vision-thing...I havent' any clue what it exactly is...at the moment, but I'll have a deep look into it. Probably I'll have some problems to find something like this here in Switzerland...but we will see!

DVI problem:

When I first installed my Plasma TV the retailer forgot to give the mediabox to me (and I supposed that the mediabox would be in the huge package of the plasma), so I moved my PC with an ATI Radeon graphic card in the leaving room and connected it directly at the DVI input of the panel - no problem and a very sharp picture. Playing computer games on a plasma is also a very cool thing. :)

Link to Pal Progressive: If I play a DVD in my PC DVD-Rom player would mean that the picture is progressive on my panel...? But then I don't have surround sound, since I can't plug my Sony system at the PC. Well, well...I really look forward to this amalgam of PC and Home entertainement...that will be the non-plus-ultra I think (and we would never see two different panel types again -> i.e. HDE and MXE models by Pioneer).

Recently Microsoft released some HD video clips...and that's the fact why this HDTV discussion came up again...I wanted to check these clips with my Plasma...but I don't think that just plugging in the DVI cable from the plasma to the graphic card of the pc is the way to enjoy real High definition.

Greets

Heady

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Heady

Lumagen Vision - drop me a note and I'll give you all the info you require.

HCPC via DVI - OK if yours is working then we can simply insert one of our Gefen HDTV 2:1 (2 In 1 Out) DVI switches and you can have both HCPC and the R03 connected to the Screen. The HDTV switch has an IR remote so its simple to switch between both units.

Multiple HDTV sources - if required we also supply a 4:1 DVI switch and you can switch both DVI and HDMI sources; though the DVI input on the R03 is not (as far as I'm aware) HDCP compliant so HDMI is unlikely to work.

Microsoft WM9 - expect a whole lot more from Microsoft in the Home Entertainment market; it looks like they will be the main driver to HDTV here in Europe.

04HDE - just a note to say you definitely CANT hook DVI/HDMI sources direct to the R04 screen without major cable surgery.

HDTV - DVI from your PC direct to the Screen is probably as good as it gets ; though there are good, bad and poor Graphics Cards so hopefully you have a decent one.

Lumagen and DVI - you may want to note that Lumagen have just announced a new range of processors that offer an all Digital DVI connectivity path and can process both analogue and digital videos signals; again drop me a note and I'll forward the info.

Best regards

Joe